“Radisson Our Lucaya”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week at the Radisson. Hotel is beautiful and very clean. It was on the quieter side since it's their low season but we enjoyed that. The room was very nice and we faced the marina. Obviously not as nice of a view as the ocean side, but not bad and we weren't in the room that much. The beach and pools at the resort are very nice although the pools are very warm and not that refreshing. The casino is fun and the market place across the street has typical tourist souvenirs and many restaurants. We did get sick of the food after a while at the market place (felt like diner food all week) but it was reasonable. The people definitely aren't the friendliest I have encountered on islands before-some of them never crack a smile at you. Go to the fish fry on Wednesday night at Smiths Pointe - food is good and fun dancing with the locals and tourists. Other than that, there didn't seem to be much of nightlife. The casino had some dancing a few nights of the week and then some very casual bars in the market place. If you have never been to the Bahamas, probably better to go to Paradise or Nassau..but overall for our second trip down there, it was a great vacation!

Reviewed July 14, 2010

We have been to Nassau and Freeport on many occasions. This was our third time to stay at Lucaya. They have a "glitch" with the online reservation service and their reservation agents sidestep the additional person charges. We were aware of the 18% tax and $15 per person resort fee but the room rate on our confirmed reservation was wrong and once we had traveled there we were at their mercy. If we had declined to pay the hidden charges we would still have been charged the entire price because it was within the 72 hour cancellation window. Oh, it is definitely not up to Radisson standards. It also should not be classified at a 4 star. The bathroom is tiny and the room is a bit run down... The food is better at the restaurants across the street at the marketplace. On a possitive note, the staff is very friendly and the casino is a nice extra activity in rainy weather.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2010

It must have been slow season, the hotel seemed abandoned, very few activities, and bare beaches, and vacated pools. Nevertheless we liked our room, the decor, the overall cleanliness was more then adequate. Good food is hard to find for a foodie. That part was a punishment. All else is greatly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Oscarandkids
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Upon arrival (around 5pm), we went to the pool and came back about 1.5 hours later. We realized that someone with a card access entered our room and stole ALL of our cash and our two watches. In the end we lost about $400 in cash and $200 in watches. Hotel security contacted the local police, but nothing was ever done. Police said that they were waiting on more information from the hotel. Hotel said that they sent the information, and it was up to the police.
Our last night there, at around 11:30pm, someone from "maintenance" tried to enter the room. When I opened the door and asked him what he wanted, he told me that "your room was on a list for repairs and I wanted to check if someone was in the room or not". I immediately called the police and they took him into custody. The next morning, the people at the front desk were very rude about it, and almost angry that we called the police. They told me that he was a trusted hotel employee and that it was all a big misunderstanding and that he was already released. When I walked over to the police station, they told me that he was still in custody and was being interviewed.
It was always a story of the police saying one thing different from the hotel security.
Besides losing my money, now we had to worry that someone would enter the room while we were sleeping. It was the scariest experience of my life and worse that even the police could not offer any assistance.
I've traveled all over the world, and never have I experienced such blatant crime. Hotel management implied that I should have locked ALL valuables in the safe 24/7. I cannot see how it is possible if you travel with laptops, ipods, cell phones, video games, etc. to fit all of this into a tiny safe large enough just for passports.

I would be very watchful of valuables as it is obvious to me that some hotel employees are aware of these crimes, but obviously look the other way to help their own people. It is very disappointing that in a country whose entire industry is based on tourism, the people instead choose to take advantage of the tourists. I would prefer that they told me that the thief escaped and I would never get my money back, than instead to protect each other and treat me like I was the one who was wrong.

I would never recommend staying at this hotel.

9  Thank ShaneDebisingh
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Oh My Gosh!! What a beautiful 4 night retreat my spouse and I had this past July 4 weekend. I do not know what others have said about this place, but JUST GO!!! It is a beautiful, well-maintained, GORGEOUS resort in a prime location. You cannot go wrong. So many people give Freeport a bad rap, but folks, this is just not TRUE!! We loved the spacious ocean front room on the Radisson Side. We were on the 6th floor and had a most incredible view of the ocean and pool. There are 2 yes, 2 infinity pools, 2 hot tubs and 9 restaurants on the property. You can walk across the Street to the Port that has a straw market and a few choice restaurants to meet anyone's budget, single, married or with a family. The casino is right on the property too for fun and a little dancing. The spa is AMAZING and the fitness centre one of the best I have seen in a resort. They even INCLUDE classes!!! My hubbie and I took a spinning class, a weight training class and took YOGA poolside in front of the ocean...NO extra charge!!! There were couples, young and old, not too many children at the Radisson side, that is on the Reef side, ok with us, (NO children). Just a great place, clean and the grounds were immaculate. Just a pretty, pretty resort with helpful and smiling staff. They offer great specials and are catering to get the tourist crowds for the summer. Go if you can, you won't regret it.

2  Thank starshine8
Reviewed July 5, 2010

The mixed reviews posted here, made me give it a shot --- that it can't be that bad if some people raved about the property. WOW - in for a suprise, and not happy. . Some of the issues: gangs of cruise-day trippers stay here; so if you are unlucky to arrive at a busy time; you can be waiting an hour+ to check in. Every day coming in from Diving at around 430PM - the lobby was packed, difficult to walk through the lobby as guests waited to check in. Rooms are very very very dated: carpet is old and stained. I can deal with the non-descript run of the mill layout or the old tube TV but when all the furniture is old and gives the sense of dirty, well thats not desirable. Though will admit the bedsheets and bathroom were clean. My room was without 2 x lightbulbs (not dead, nothing there!) and then couldn't dial the front desk since my phone didnt work (so had to walk to the lobby for assistance). Although my friend had a mini-fridges; mine didn't - just a big space where I figured it would be placed. One large pool and everyone hangs out there; beach is nice but gets crowded... think locals can come to the property; so it ends up more crowded than ideal for a getaway. For the All Inclusive (AI) - pretty much 1 x place for service at any given time: Barracudas for breakfast buffet (can't beleive no fresh cut fruit; had bread/muffins, grits, hash browns, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage and apples are your choice... every day). Lunch at Prop Club or Sugar Mill and Dinner at Prop Club. In theory I wouldn't mind only have one place to go but the menu at the restaurants are so limited and food not that great. The Sugar Mill is the bar for the pool and gets busy; wait awhile for drink orders and to make ordering an even slower process... all orders must be signed for individually, a bill is tabbed as opposed to just showing your AI bracelet. This is annoying as we were a group of 3 in 3 x different rooms so each of us would have to go to order and sign our own checks. Towels are available from 9AM-5PM and often run out of towels; so you have to to to the Radisson for towels. Beach Chairs are the rubber backed; no cushion, not assortment, like everything else in the hote (no umbrellas) l... 1 x "choice" and not that good of one. The people seemed friendly enough but well, service itself was not a strong point. Liked that it was right across the street from the Marketplace --- good for the UNEXSO diving, snorkeling tours and other boat acitvity, leaving form the marina in the Marketplace. I thought I had a fair deal for flight+hotel+AI via cheapcharribean.. but the overall poor quality of the hotel made it very disapppointing; a shame as the location is lovely.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank kareny13
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I really love this resort. The service was great, the people are wonderful and the beach is awesome. I would recommend this resort for families, singles or couples. Their is plenty to see and plenty to do for all ages. Go to Billy Joe's restaurant on the beach and get the grilled conch-----it is delicious. The other restaurants are okay but not myn cup of tea. We went to the prop club-the food was okay. Sugar Mill tiki bar had a good cheeseburger meal but take the time to walk across the street to the Port Lucaya Marketplace and look around. The food at Zorba's (Greek and Bahamian Foods) were delicious. I had the lamb chops and my husband had the grilled grouper and it was the best. At the Marketplace-do not pass by the Bahama Mama Bar-on thursdays the bahama mama's are buy one($5) get one free all night and Rebecca the barmaid makes the best. She is so cool and down to earth-a great person. I didn't want to come back home. I will definitely be back with family and friends.....

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!