“our sixth trip back and this time we took the kids”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed August 14, 2014

this is the sixth visit to Grand Lucayan for me and my husband and on this trip, we took along our 4 children. we just can't get enough of the resort...the resort views to the ocean are amazing, the property is kept clean and we always felt safe. our last visit was back in april and we loved the addition of the tiki table huts by the ocean. there were only five of them and recent reviewers noted how difficult it was to secure one of those. well, looks like the resort listened to all those comments because there is now upwards of 25+ white umbrellas all along the beach. we had no problem at all getting one of these beach umbrells during the entire 5 days of our stay. the only thing i would recommend is on cruise ship days, make sure you get out to the beach by 10:30am to get your lounge chair and umbrella. the cruise ship customers come all at once and get the beach very busy. other then that, they are really not a bother.

since this was our sixth time back, we are obviously big fans of the resort and all it offers. in terms of 'needs improvement' items, it's really only two issues that i feel need to be addressed. 1) the staff at Hammerheads is very very slow. the bar can get extremely crowded and the staff is not efficient in servicing the guests waiting. the bartenders talk alot between themselves, watch the TV and pretty much ignore the people at the swim up section of the bar. one person waiting stood up on his pool barstool and was waving his arms and yelling to try to get thier attention. this is lost revenue for the hotel because many people just got fed up waiting and left. more attentive service at Hammerheads would see happy customers and more sales for the resort.

2) my other comment has been written about so much already, but the check-in/check-out lines really do get out of hand. i won't get into details since other writers have expressed what we have all felt.

this trip, the kids were very interested in the water sports and they loved the bananna boats, snorling and parasailing. book with Charles from motion-ocean...he walks along the beach all day and will give you details on all the water sports offered. we all did the snorkling and it was great. the snorkel boat is anchored on a great reef and a smaller motor boat takes you out to the snorkel site. you can use the snorkels and boat for the day (9-4) and they will bring the motor boat (launch) to pick you up and take you back and forth as many times as you like all for the one price you pay. we took a break from snorkeling and came back for lunch and some beach time and then called the launch and went right back out to snorkel some more. it is a great deal.

all in all, we are big fans of Grand Lucayan. i would like to see them have some sort of 'rewards program' for frequent guests. that would be a great incentive for us. this isnt our last time at Grand Lucayan and are looking forward to returning again soon.

Room Tip: spring for the high floor oceanview...it is an absolutely worth it.
4  Thank sgirl09
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Hello sgirl09,

Thank you so much for writing a raving review! We love hearing from our repeat guests. I'm so happy this time you brought the kids and that they had such a great time on the beach enjoying all the activities. I'd also like to thank you for sharing your feedback, we really appreciate your opinion. I look forward to your return. Keep a look out for special offers on our website. If you ever need anything gives me a shout at guestservices@grandlucayan.com.

- Bernadette Arty, Director of Guest Services

Write a ReviewReviews (3,029)

Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Loved it...best part was the infinity pool which was away from the pool bar....we are more a quiet type and dont enjoy the resort activites so much. We just want to get away from it all and we did. Had the whole beach to ourself and the infinity pool too. Very relaxing and staff was great. Enjoyed the big breakfast each day on property

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie V
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Hello Julie V,

Thank you so much for your awesome review! I am very happy to read that you loved your stay at our beachfront property. I am also happy to read that you were able to get away from it all during your visit, had a relaxing time and found our staff great. We look forward to having come back and visit our resort again soon. Our infinity pool will be waiting for you!

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had a great time; mother daughter trip. Nice, spacious room, the facilities were beautiful. Great location, easy to get around to enjoy the area. Only issue was at check-in. The line was incredibly long. Having grown up in the Bahamas I am accustomed to the laid-back atmosphere; however, I can see that this would be a point of contention for those who are accustomed to island life.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank claudinecp

Hello claudinecp,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a great review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed a great mother and daughter trip to our resort. I am happy to know that you found the rooms nice and spacious and the facilities beautiful. I appreciate all of your feedback and hope you decide to come back and visit stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

As you can see from the other reviews--this is the place to stay. In fact we met many families that had moved to this hotel, even though they had prepaid for a package deal elsewhere. The only draw back was the check in process, but once we had a room--we were relaxed! The staff is very friendly and courteous. The beach and pools have plenty of lounge chairs, so we never felt like we had to "claim" our spot for the day. The more intimate pool by the gym could use some umbrellas--but we found shade amongst the palm trees. I took part in a yoga class right under the gazebo on the beach--it was perfect. Our room included breakfast, which was a nice way to start the day off --incredible selection at the restaurant. Having the marketplace right across the street gave us so many options for meals, all our meals were wonderful. Every room has a large balcony, and having one with an ocean view just added to the overall peaceful ambience of our stay here. We were hesitant to book this hotel when we heard that the people from the cruise ships stay over for a night or two, but the property is so large that the influx of people didn't bother us in the least.

Room Tip: Ocean view, above the 6th floor (then you are above the palm trees)
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hopeithelps26

Hello hopeithelps26,

Thank you so much for writing us a review on TripAdvisor! It is so wonderful to hear that you had a great experience staying with us. I'm happy you enjoyed the food here and at the Port Lucaya Marketplace. I'm also really happy to hear you had a great yoga class during your stay. I hope the next time you vacation in the Bahamas you choose to stay with us again. :-) Again, thank you, I really appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with our team.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

My wife and I had a great time, in a great room, overlooking a great pool and beach. The driver, Duke, was extremely informative. He was a local who was acutely aware of all the hot spots on the island. Sophia the front desk clerk was on top of all my requests, even though she was in training. Candice, the Housekeeper made special arrangements for us to have appropriate attire for and evening event. Mr. Roderick, the Hotel Manager, made things happen. From the managers welcome, to the Fish Fry by the pool and the tours to the Gardens. This manager was on his A" Game. I kept waiting for Mr. Roderick to turn into Mr. Rork and welcome me to Fantasy Island. Carl the "Pool Man" looked like he could play Tight End for the Miami Dolphins. I often go for an early swim before the crowds arrive. He made sure I had all the pool and beach necessities every morning when I hit the beach/pool at 5am (the pool opens at 8am). The food was exceptional and the staff was untouchable. I watched the sunrise in the mornings and the sunset in the evenings. I've been to Atlantis on Paradise Island, Nassau several times, but this was my first trip to Grand Lucayan in Freeport, Grand Bahamas and it won't be my last. I am "All In" on this hotel, the staff and the beach location. The trip to the Gardens is only 4 miles away and well worth the trip by taxi. It's was very educational and relaxing.Go Have Fun!!!

Room Tip: Request an Ocean View Room, 3rd floor or hire. It may cost a little more but it's worth it. The...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hmelton44

Hi Hmelton44,

Thank you so much for your great review! I am extremely pleased to read that you and your wife had a great time at our resort during your stay. I will let Sophia, Candice, Mr. Roderick and Carl all know that they each helped make your stay memorable. We all look forward to having you come back and stay with us again soon in the very near future. Our pool and beach will be waiting for you!

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Overall very pleased with stay at Grand Lucayan.
Staff very helpful only ran into one rude staff member during check-in process. Check-in is very long confusing and busy
Rooms are large clean and spacious. Kids eat free was a great deal restaurants on site affordable and offer large menu selections.
Location right on beach kids loved it plenty to do with pools and beach.
Shops and restaurants across the street-don't forgot to bargain at market
Would definitely return again

Hi MaryDDDD,

Thank you so much for writing your great review! I am happy to read that you are very pleased after your stay with us at our resort. I am also happy to read that you found the rooms large, clean and spacious and that you were able to take advantage of our kids eat free deal. We definitely look forward to having you come back and stay with us again soon. Our pools and beaches will be waiting for you!

Reviewed August 9, 2014

After a horrible one night at the Island Seas, we booked a room with this resort. What a difference! Amazing staff, beautiful beach, great service! Everyone was so friendly and helpful! Our rooms were beautifully cleaned and re stocked with coffee, creamer, towels, shampoo every day! Room service was prompt! The breakfast buffet was great for the kids! The pool was fun but they need to resurface the bottom as the pebble tech is quite rough. The kids had a blast regardless! the hotel is situated across the street from the marketplace and all of the restaurants! We ate at Giovanis and it was amazing food, better service and friendly wait persons who had no issues deviating from the menu to meet the needs of our kids. Most restaurants have issues with deviating from their menu. There is a small convenience store at the hotel which was great to get snack for the kids, waters for on the go and whatever else you may need. A nice coffee, pastry and gelato shop was on the hotel campus as well! A huge chess board with giagantic chess pieces was available for guests s well as a foose table! Chess tables were on site! chess friendly hotel! ha ha! My kids loved it! After a day of snorkeling, fishing, and day trips to paradise cove, we came back to our room smelling nice! My kids stuffed animals and blankets were nicely and sweetly arranged on one of the beds! One day we came back and their stuffed dolphins were nose to nose! The kids loved it! Was a sweet and simple touch! The kids wrote a cute note to the housekeeper and left her some of their money to say thank you. We are picky travelers!! This was a great hotel, incredible staff! If we come back, we will stay here again hands down, no other options! Thank you!!!!

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and loved it! Had a great ocean view
3  Thank JSKCalifornia

Hello JSKCalifornia,

Thank you for writing us such a nice review! I'm so happy you and your family had a wonderful vacation with us. I'm glad your kids had a blast staying with us and the note they left for housekeeping was just an indicator of how sweet they are. :-) Thank you again for your kind words about our staff and resort and I hope to see you back at the Grand Lucayan soon!

Bernadette Arty, Director of Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#4 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!