this is the sixth visit to Grand Lucayan for me and my husband and on this trip, we took along our 4 children. we just can't get enough of the resort...the resort views to the ocean are amazing, the property is kept clean and we always felt safe. our last visit was back in april and we loved the addition of the tiki table huts by the ocean. there were only five of them and recent reviewers noted how difficult it was to secure one of those. well, looks like the resort listened to all those comments because there is now upwards of 25+ white umbrellas all along the beach. we had no problem at all getting one of these beach umbrells during the entire 5 days of our stay. the only thing i would recommend is on cruise ship days, make sure you get out to the beach by 10:30am to get your lounge chair and umbrella. the cruise ship customers come all at once and get the beach very busy. other then that, they are really not a bother.
since this was our sixth time back, we are obviously big fans of the resort and all it offers. in terms of 'needs improvement' items, it's really only two issues that i feel need to be addressed. 1) the staff at Hammerheads is very very slow. the bar can get extremely crowded and the staff is not efficient in servicing the guests waiting. the bartenders talk alot between themselves, watch the TV and pretty much ignore the people at the swim up section of the bar. one person waiting stood up on his pool barstool and was waving his arms and yelling to try to get thier attention. this is lost revenue for the hotel because many people just got fed up waiting and left. more attentive service at Hammerheads would see happy customers and more sales for the resort.
2) my other comment has been written about so much already, but the check-in/check-out lines really do get out of hand. i won't get into details since other writers have expressed what we have all felt.
this trip, the kids were very interested in the water sports and they loved the bananna boats, snorling and parasailing. book with Charles from motion-ocean...he walks along the beach all day and will give you details on all the water sports offered. we all did the snorkling and it was great. the snorkel boat is anchored on a great reef and a smaller motor boat takes you out to the snorkel site. you can use the snorkels and boat for the day (9-4) and they will bring the motor boat (launch) to pick you up and take you back and forth as many times as you like all for the one price you pay. we took a break from snorkeling and came back for lunch and some beach time and then called the launch and went right back out to snorkel some more. it is a great deal.
all in all, we are big fans of Grand Lucayan. i would like to see them have some sort of 'rewards program' for frequent guests. that would be a great incentive for us. this isnt our last time at Grand Lucayan and are looking forward to returning again soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan Bahamas is an elegant resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. This 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Radisson Freeport
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island