“I Love This Place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Dade City, Florida
“I Love This Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I have no complaints about Grand Lucaya. EVERYONE was nice. Grounds are beautiful as well as breathtaking. Had 7th floor ocean view....BEAUTIFUL! The hotel is older and if you really looked around, you can find things wrong with it but understand anything on the beach is going to wear....I am from Florida, so all reorts and hotels wear down from the salt air. I also don't and won't look for the bad when there is so much good all around. If you are a petty person, then you will nit pick the little things!

The one thing I did not like is when going to the market using the walk way between Lucaya and Memories, you are harassed by Memories employees to come and take a tour and spend the day over there. Every day I was asked when I was leaving...finally just started telling them NEVER! (wishful thinking)

The market accross the street is great. They will ask u to come in, "looking is free and buying is cheap" but you just keep walking and they leave you alone. You have to understand that this is how they make their living! Tourism is their only income. What I look for is the shops that have all local things made there. I dont want to buy a souvenir and it say "made in china". Everything I buy is made by the person, this way I am supporting them, mot china!
Food is much cheaper there well. Ate at Zorbas for breakfast and dinner everynight. It is not the best loking place in the market, but it is GOOD food and good price. It is the only place in the market that you will seee locals eating at.
My family and I do this trip every year. We take the Celebration over, and spend 4 days on the island! We hate to leave every year! We have come to love Limpy, our taxi driver and his wife Gaylene - our housekeeper at the hotel. They have become like family to us!

So go and enjoy yourself. The hotel is beautiful and the people are so friendly. If that were not true, I would not go back year after year! See you next year Lucaya. I will miss you daily until then!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Deena H
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Hello Deena,

Thank you so much for writing us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy you had a lovely vacation, found our staff to be nice and our hotel to be beautiful. On behalf of everyone at the Grand Lucayan we really look forward to your family vacation next year. :-)

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
CINCINNATI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Great way to spend time on the beach! You literally have the run if the place. Cost $15.00 each for a day beach pass. You may come and go off the premises as you like, they give you a wrist band. You can walk across the street to the Lacaya Market and enjoy food,drinks and shop, then go back for more beach fun. Best way to go, took a shuttle/taxi back to the cruise ship@$5 per person each way. This is well worth the money.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SNAPPERMD
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Hello SNAPPERMD,

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your day pass at our property. Hopefully on your next visit to the Grand Lucayan you will be staying with us.

raleigh,nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

Just returned from 4 days at Lucayan with girlfriends. The oceanfront room was lovely even if it did need some bath updates--good size, very nice mattresses, and perfect view from the 9th floor. The beach was immaculate but the pool needed cleaning. We walked over to the infinity pool area which had no crowds and was well kept with an empty beach--perfect.
Food was good at all restaurants--especially China Grove which had surprisingly good sushi, grouper and lobster (very nicely prepared 2 tails served for reasonable price!) Willie Broadleaf had good morning buffet, dinner not as impressive but good value if you like the selections.The fitness facility was outstanding with great classes offered free all day by super instructors. The spa was nice, small, dated but adequate. A local shared that the hotel only had a 25% occupancy most of the year except around Spring break.
Our overall impression was that the hotel had seen better days and occupancy was low until the day we left when swarms of senior high students overtook the hotel. I would advise avoiding around this time as they were loud, commanded the pool and beach, yelled off balconies,and disturbed the relaxation factor. But later in June or other times of year I would imagine are fine.
Would return as the value was very good.

Room Tip: Oceanfront worth the $ and higher up the better....especially when the bands come playing in the cou...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank raleighgal
Hello raleighgal,

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your oceanfront room as well as our beautiful beach, the infinity pool, China Beach, our fitness facility and breakfast at Willie Broadleaf’s. I really appreciate all of your feedback and look forward to have you stay with us again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

This is a hard hotel to review. It seems like 2 different resorts depending on if cruise ships were in or not. When they are not, the place was a ghost town. Which in some ways was nice. And when cruise ships are in, the place is crowded! Which in some ways was nice too. It seemed to us that when they were busy the staff seemed friendlier. When they were slow they were almost rude. With the exception of the staff at Hammerheads bar and grill.
The grounds are beautiful and beach was great. There were very small cosmetic issues on the grounds, like broken vents in stairs and small stuff like that. Our room was spacious and very clean. The marina view had great sunsets! Location is nice, you can walk across street to Marketplace.

Room Tip: Marina view had nice sunsets!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Teeniebman
Hello Teeniebman,

Thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to know that you found our resort beautiful, liked the location and enjoyed the beach. Thank you for bringing the friendliness of our staff to my attention because we strive to always be friendly and welcoming to our guest no matter how busy we are. I really appreciate your feedback and hope to have you back for another stay soon. Those marina view sunsets will be waiting.

Mechanicsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Really liked the Grand Lucayan Resort. The rooms were really nice & large. People very friendly. We had an island view but next time I want a ocean view. We got to the resort around 12:00 noon & we were able to check in right away. I have a couple of complaints but they are nothing major. They need more than 1 trash can in the rooms. One for the bedroom & one for the bathroom. They need more than 6 umbrellas on the beach for a resort this size. There were 3 of us. One of us likes the sun a lot more than the other two. I had to lay at the beach by myself as there were not enough umbrellas. It would have been nice if they had a tiki hut bar set out by the pool at night with music as you get tired of going to the entertainment at Port Lucaya as that gets old. I would definitely recommend this resort & I would go there again & I hope I get to go real soon.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Beachlvrgrl
Hello Beachlvrgrl,

Thank you so much for writing us a review on TripAdivsor! I’m very pleased to read that you found our rooms really nice and our staff friendly. I appreciate your feedback and will share your thoughts with our team. That ocean view will be waiting for you the next time you visit!

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We have just returned from a trip to Florida and the Bahamas. Staying at the Grand Lucayan was one of the highlights of our trip. Had some delay when checking in but our room and view was worth it. The property, view and staff were great. The town has a lot to do - shopping, restaurants beautiful beaches as well as sight seeing. We went to the Dolphin Encounter which was a wonderful experience. Would definitely recommend it. But the most impressive thing about our stay was the people of the Island. Warm and friendly would best describe them put this location on your bucket list. Lynda T.

2 Thank Lynda T
Hello Lynda T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to know that you had an awesome experience during your recent stay at our resort. I am also very pleased to read that you enjoyed your view and found our staff to be great. We definitely hope to have you back soon!

Columbia SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We bought the Day pass to use the pools, beach etc.. LOVE IT! We don't normally get off the ship in Freeport.. Grand Lucanyan Resort was perfect! Plenty of chairs and the service was great! We just asked the shuttle driver where to purchase a day pass for the resort and he dropped off right where we needed to go..no worries! Cost of the day pass $15 each...you can come and go all day if want to shop or eat in town right accross the street! Hint: Bring your own towels..

5 Thank Deb T
Hello Deb T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your day pass at our resort. I am also happy to know that you found our service great during your visit. Hopefully next time you visit it will be for an extended stay. Thank you for your feedback.

-Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,211 reviews
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!