“Terrific Experience planning our Convention at Lucayan!”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
“Terrific Experience planning our Convention at Lucayan!”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I am the meeting planner for an international association that is comprised of manufacturers, engineers and installers. We brought our association there (approx. 150 individuals overall including guests and exhibitors and everyone) for our 60th anniversary of the association. I have 10+ yrs experience and have a CMP.

Reservations: went very well. They were attentive to our guests, and made sure they all felt special. We were treated with our own private reservation check-in for the group, which was a terrific first impression for our arriving attendees – they felt special and appreciated from the first step into the grand entry way.

Check out: was very good. They were attentive and prompt in helping to finalize bills, assist with transportation to the airport, and answering any last-minute, pre-departure questions that we or the guests had.

Bell Service: There were always individuals willing to help (and I needed a lot of it!!). My individual requests were frequent (I locked myself out of my room at least twice, I often needed help transporting convention items from one space to another, etc. etc.) but every time that I needed help, it arrived quickly and with a big smile. I can’t say that for every property I’ve been to. In fact, at other properties I’ve often experienced some grumbling from a bellman that implied he was being inconvenienced by my requests, but this was not my experience at the Grand Lucayan. In fact, I left the resort knowing several of the bellmen’s names.

Housekeeping: Great; thought the cleanliness of rooms and facility were very good!

Banquets: The Banquet staff, from the servers, bartenders and managers, was above-and-beyond awesome. I can honestly say that I was sad to leave – they worked so closely alongside us, and were so results-oriented and willing to please, that I truly felt we worked as one team. They were receptive to pop-up meeting requests; venue changes (due to weather); and other normal (or not-so-normal) requests. Just like with the other service staff across the resort, we quickly became very familiar with the key players in the banquet operation, and were assured they were working with us and taking care of us. Our convention manager Kevin led the charge, and worked (or, “put up”) with us from contracting through completion. As this was an international show for us (and it was also my first show with the group – I was new), the logistics were challenging, but Kevin’s expertise, willingness to help and counsel, and proactiveness assured a successful convention for all involved.

One of the coolest things I remember – and that I take away with me from this event – were the not one, but TWO circumstances when Kevin went out of his way to personally drive us to different places on the island to purchase some obscure office items and to collect a shipment from a warehouse dock (long story). He was ALWAYS willing to do whatever it took to make us happy…as was everyone else on the staff. It was really fun to walk through the resort and (seriously) be able to say hi to all of the workers and even become familiar with many of their names. They all wanted us to be HAPPY and taken care of.

The Food quality was excellent. Tons of fun, too and lots of personality. I loved the local feel to everything (but I’m also a huge seafood fan). They were also creative with the customization, such as when they created our own ‘signature drinks’ for each evening’s reception that were the same color as the sponsor’s logo and that matched the evening’s theme.

Audio / Visual: was AWESOME. Super-responsive and attentive and calm and willing to do whatever we needed. Very pleased with this part of the program. A/V is a challenging piece of the meeting to manage, but our A/V person did a spectacular job.

Security: was very good. This was a concern for us, since we had more than one outdoor event. Our biggest concern was that persons from outside our group would be entering our event. That fear was diverted due to the attentive nature of our security personnel during the evening events. I felt they were stationed in the correct spots; they were aware of our concerns; and I did see them approach anyone that may have looked ‘out of place’ to make sure we didn’t have any stragglers coming into our private events.

I was also concerned because the cruise ships come through this part of the island, and was a bit concerned that the resort at some points during our meeting would get ‘overrun’ with visiting tourists. On the contrary, the GL gates were ALWAYS attended; GL security staff were vigilant about only letting in the individuals that had wristbands or that paid to enter; and after the first time I visited there (for a site visit two months before the event) I was not at all concerned about security of the property on the whole.

Unfortunately, at this time, I’m not sure we’re going to be lucky enough in the near future to visit Grand Lucayan again as a group; however, we continue to recommend GL to our other clients and to other associations that book meetings. I would love sometime to visit GL with my family, though..for a REAL vacation where I can just relax!!!

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are awesome; for a top-of-the-line, optimal, beach-side experience, go with the Lan...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank alohry .
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Hello alohry,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your very detailed review on TripAdvisor. I am extremely pleased to hear that you chose our resort to celebrate such an important company milestone and we were able to go beyond your expectations. I will let the banquet staff and particularly Kevin know that your group was very pleased with their service. We would definitely love to have you come back and visit with your family sometime. :-)

-Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
Olive Branch, MS
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I recently stayed at Grand Lucayan in the Breakers. I was originally booked at Lighthouse Point but was unable to find photos online before my trip. Lighthouse Point photos online were very limited as to what it looked like outside, how close to ocean, etc. how far it was from the main hotel building, etc. While there I took these photos so others can see Lighthouse Point. Hope you enjoy.

Room Tip: Be sure to request your room oceanside - floors 7 or higher. Anything below that has a blocked view...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
121 Thank PeggySue610
Hello PeggySue610,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us five stars on TripAdvisor and posting pictures. They look great!

-Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed for two nights at the end of April after taking the Bahamas Celebration cruise shipt from FL (the ship wasn't bad either, fine for a single night of transport). We disembarked at 9am (earlier than our scheduled mass exodus from the ship) and decided to spend the $$ on a cab. I'm very glad we did because we were able to check in and get to the pool and relax until our room was ready at 3pm. We heard the horror stories of waiting in line to get your room. The hotel is clean and well maintained and the pools are beautiful, just as the beach is pristine. There are plenty of chaise lounges all around the pool area and plenty on the beach. There are only about 6 umbrellas on the beach, so you would have to stake that spot out early, but we had no trouble without it. The locals selling wares on the beach were kind and we wanted to patronize all of them.

We ate poolside both days and the food is tyipcal grill food. No complaints except being pricey, but that is to be expected on vacation, so we just enjoyed it. The drinks are surprisingly reasonable too. We spent one day at the main pool and one day by the Inifinity pool near the lighthouse. Both areas were great and relatively quiet. We did not find the cruise goers to be troubling on the beach or at the resort.

I paid extra for an oceanfront room on a high floor and this was well worth it. It was spectacular to wake up every morning to this view. We had a lovely balcony with chairs, comfortable beds, good AC, clean bathroom/shower. We slept very well as everything was quiet in our room. We really didn't do much else but relax by the pools and eat and drink, but this was the perfect place for it. We would definitely be back.

Be sure to check your bill - we did also find another charge, but this was removed and excused as an easy mistake with all the rooms being charged at the pools. We also took a cab back to the ship to ensure a longer pool day prior to boarding. No need to sit on that stuff boat with 1200 others when you could sit in front of the ocean with a seabreeze!

We ate one night at Rum Runners (great drinks) and one night at Flying Fish (excellent food). Both restaurants are a short walk across the street.

Room Tip: Splurge for oceanfront high floors.
15 Thank Valerie S
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Hello Valerie,

Thank you so much for writing us on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased to hear you had a great time staying with. It sounds like you had a very relaxing vacation hanging out by the pools. Thanks again, I look forward to your next visit. :-)

Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is a nice place. If you are looking for a small personable place, this is not for you as there are LOTS of people everywhere. If you are looking for a clean place to stay, then read on. It is very clean, has a nice beach and pools, good restaurants on property, and is directly across the street from one of the Freeport marketplaces.

10 Thank langaha
Hi langaha,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy you had a good time and appreciated the cleanliness of our resort. We wouldn't want it any other way. :-) I hope you'll visit us again sometime!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Helpful staff, well maintained resort. Clean rooms, late checkout available til 3 pm,
Food for breakfast good, buffet style. Best to cross the road to the many bars and restaurants, with "local" feel
Would definitely go back again

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room well worth it!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Christopher T
Hello Christopher,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'd also like to thank you for your kind words about our staff. I'm happy you had such a good time and I hope you'll get the chance to return soon.

Blauvelt, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We booked our trip here through the hotel's website. They sent multiple emails with our total listed on the confirmation in the email. However when we went to check out of the hotel they added an additional $400 to our total. Which would not have been so bad if the vacation was enjoyable. This resort is in bad shape, they were constantly doing renovations during our stay and we had to move rooms one of the days because the banging was terrible. The food was nothing to brag about and they rent out their beach during the day to cruise ship guests. Making the beach filled with rowdy non-hotel guests. Everything on the island includes a 15% gratuity and the attitude of the staff was definitely that of someone who was guaranteed a tip no matter their behavior. All said I was really disappointed with the way we were nickel and dimed and we were in the end ripped off on the price we expected to pay. Do not go here without the understanding that they are taken advantage of their guests.

Room Tip: Don't go here. Go next door if you want to go to Freeport at all.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank mm6580
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Hello mm6580,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. It saddens me to read you didn't have a pleasant experience while staying with us. Most guest describe the beach and our pools as a quiet and relaxing place, but I am sorry you felt so differently. I'd also like to apologize that some of our renovations distributed your stay, but I'm happy to hear we moved you to a different room away from the noise. Lastly, I'm so sorry if there was any confusion with your bill. If you'd like to talk with us about your bill please e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Thanks again for reaching out, I really appreciate your feedback.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hello I recently Stayed at the Grand Lucayan, and i' ll say it was a six out of a ten. First of the room was nice but the view I had was horrible and the noise was really loud at night so I had to keep the door shut. Second on the beach there were only three umbrellas so if you didn't get up at the break of dawn you were out of luck. The drinks were watered down and the food was way to expensive for what you were getting in return. However my wife and I received a day pass to the hotel next door (Memories) And WOW it was like night and day all you can eat and drink yoga in the morning at the pool and great food more umbrellas on the beach, beautiful landscape we loved it !!! So the next time we visit Freeport that's where we are staying. Thank you

9 Thank MILES L
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Hello Miles,

Thank you for taking the time to write us on TripAdvisor. First off, I'm glad you found your room to be nice but I'm sorry you didn't like your view and experienced some noise from outside with your doors open. However, I'm happy you and wife had a good time next door. Thanks again for reaching out, I really appreciate your feedback and will pass it along.

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!