“1st time in Freeport”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed at the Grand Lucayan 4/27-5/1. Upon arrival check in was a breeze. After reading all the reviews prior to my arrival I was worried about not having a room until later in the day. Stayed in room 1005 which has a partial ocean view and view of Memories hotel. Room was a standard hotel room with a bit outdated furniture but the bed was very comfortable. Shower and bathroom were clean and no mold issues. Only issue I had was with having bath towels after house keeping left. 2 times I had to call for towels to be brought up as there were none left.
The grounds are very well maintained and the pools are a bit cool but refreshing since the temperature was in the Mid 80's while we were there. Many pool areas to choose from. We choose to hang out at the pool that was to the extreme left of the resort. Waves bar and grill is there and this pool was much calmer then the pool by Hammerheads.

We were on the all incluisive plan which was nice but signing a piece of paper everytime you ordered something was a bit annoying. Meals were ok. We did not eat at Churchill's, didn't think the $35 upcharge was worth it. Ate poolside most days and the menu is a typical beach bar menu. Dinner we ate at Iries, and they had a limited menu for those of us on the all incluisive. Chocalate Cake for dessert was great!
The next night we ate at China Beach which I absolutely loved. Appeitizers were great as well as my meal. However while we were eating 2 other tables complained about their meals and I believed walked out. But in all I really enjoyed my experience at China Beach.

Upon check out I noticed I had charges on my bill for liquids but were taken off immediately since I was on the all inclusive plan. As a side not some of the bars wont let you have Bud Light or Miller Lite if you are on the all incluisive while the other bars allowed it. Thought it was strange but so be it.

I would love to return with my kids next time as they would love the pools and ocean.

Thanks Grand Lucayan for a nice relaxing getway!!!

Room Tip: 10th floor views were very nice
1  Thank bsmooth
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Hello bsmooth,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy to hear you had a relaxing getaway and that check-in was a breeze! It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself lounging by the pools. I'm also glad you really enjoyed China Beach and Iries restaurant. I couldn't agree with you more about the chocolate cake, it's to die for! Overall, I look forward to your return and hope your children enjoy the resort as much as you did! Just to let you know, on our website we are currently running a special where kids stay and eat free, so check it out when you get time. Thanks again for your feedback!

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I had already done a not-so raving review during my two week stay at this resort from January 16-30, 2014 and was asked to contact a manager named Carmel Churchill while I was still there. We met with Carmel and she listened and wrote down all of our concerns and suggestions on how to improve the experience at the Grand Lucayan. She was great and told us that she would be bringing these concerns to the General Manager. She also did let us know that the G.L. is not an all-inclusive resort as our travel provider Sunwing is trying make us believe. They actually only really offer a "meal plan". That helped clarify things for us, but the unfriendly and unattentive staff issue still needed to be addressed, all inclusive or not. Also we had an incident where our group of 8 wanted to play volleyball by the infinity pool, but the staff refused to give us a ball because they were waiting to see if any of the clients from the Cruise ship wanted to play. They did tell us that if there were any spots left, we could join in. Wow, generous!!!! We told Carmel that we felt like second rate citizens and that they should have equal service for people staying a week or two as well as to a day or two. Over the next few days, she had done many things to help personally improve our stay and we really appreciated that. Our biggest concerns were regarding the service or lack thereof, and for the first few days after meeting with Carmel, we didn't see any improvements. For instance, four of us went for dinner at Willy Broadleaf's and during the entire meal, after the hostess seated us, not one server approached us to take a drink order. We left dinner feeling really disappointed and when Carmel called our room the next day to check in with us, we explained what happened. Really, we had appreciated all the things they had done to improve our stay, but honestly would have given all that up just to see an improvement in service. Interacting with the locals during a vacation is half the fun, we felt that experience was missing at the restauants at the hotel but met many other Bahamians that were amazing throughout the island.
Thankfully though, after that we saw some changes start to happen, for instance, we were served by Remicka at the China Grill for lunch, and she stopped by our table halfway through the meal to ask how everything was. We were all pleasantly surprised and we thanked her for asking.
Also we had mentioned to Carmel that it was disappointing that on the day of check-out, you are only entitled to have breakfast included at the resort. We noticed on the day we left, at check-out you were given a different wrist band and were told we could eat and drink until the bus picked us up for the airport at 2:00pm. It was little things like this that made us happy to know that the resort is trying to make changes and taking our suggestions into consideration.
No doubt that the resort is in a perfect beach front location and the grounds are beautiful. The ocean view is way better there than at the Memories resort next door because of the height of the hotel. Of course there are still some cosmetic changes to the hotel that need to be addressed, (ie: the bathtubs in the basic rooms and the bathrooms by the pool) but Rome wasn't built in a day so hopefully these things will be improved over the next while.
And I also do have to say that not all the staff were bad, the Grand Lucayan definitely does have some shining stars. For instance Gerade & Delphine at China Beach are fantastic. Remicka at China Grill as mentioned earlier. Velma and Theleasa at Willy Broadleaf are wonderful. Megan at the front desk was professional and accomodating and our maid Emmaline did a great job of cleaning our room everyday. If you plan on going to the spa, Alpacino gives an amazing hot stone massage. And I know I mentioned it in my previous review but I want to say again that if you book any excursions then talk to Charles on the beach because he is a solid guy and a very hard worker. Thanks again to Carmel for listening to us and doing all that she did to improve our stay. It was greatly appreciated and we hope it benefits everyone. We want to see tourism improve in Freeport because it's a great place and the people on the island are so much fun. I hope that the Grand Lucayan treats their staff well, keeps them happy and works hard with them to help the resort be the best it can be.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank TiaGoose

Hello TiaGoose,

Thank you for writing us an update on your stay! I'm happy to hear Carmel made your stay so much more enjoyable for you and your friends. I'd also like to thank you for the shout outs to Emmaline from housekeeping, Megan from the front desk and the servers that left a lasting impression on you at China Beach and Willy Broadleaf. Overall, I really appreciate your feedback and I'll be sure to pass along your recommendations. I hope you can make it back to Grand Bahama Island someday. :-) Thanks again!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Been to this property a dozen times since it was built in 2001. Management/ownership has changed through the years but I was pleasantly surprised with this latest transformation. Many of the same staff are here, which is a good thing. One major change was the separation of part of the original resort into its own freestanding all-inclusive property called Memories Resort.

If you are a "beach" person and enjoy the water, this is a great place to be. And make sure you take advantage of all the amenities and activities available off-property but nearby, including restaurants, bars, shops, water activities, etc.

Room Tip: Oceanfront upgrade worth the price
3  Thank Sea G
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Hello Sea G,

Thank you so much for writing us a review on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate hearing from returning guests. I'm thrilled you continue to come back and enjoy the island. I look forward to your return. :-)

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I was here for a conference over the weekend. It is possible that the hotel does not know how to handle large crowds or groups, but they do have a large conference center that would suggest otherwise. We took the Celebration Cruise Ship as part of the group conference, which was like an old Ramada or Casino. I don't know how they make the cruise last as long as overnight, but somehow they manage. It is supposedly only 68 miles per the ads they kept showing on tv. Once we got to the Bahamas, we took a bus to the hotel. We waited over an hour to check in, and our hotel room was not ready for another 4 hours. I realized that we arrived early, but it did say that our rooms would be ready by 3 PM. It was actually 4:30 before it was ready.
Once we finally got to our room, we decided to take a swim in the pool. We ordered a cocktail and had just gotten in the pool, when they told us we had to get out of the pool because our American Express was declined. We stood in the lobby and called American Express immediately. Within 5 minutes they told us that the hotel had already had charges go through on our credit card and American Express had approved everything. Somehow the hotel, had confused our card and account with someone else's credit card. The hotel took well over an hour to figure this out, during which time we had to wait for them in the lobby. Afterwards, all we got was a half hearted - "I am sorry" from the desk manager.
Once we got that sorted out, we were able to somewhat enjoy the rest of the trip. The service is poor, and drinks and food are very expensive for what it is. We actually spent our honeymoon at very nice resorts in Hawaii, and I don't remember ever paying almost $40 for a Macallan 12 year glass of scotch.
Once we really lowered our expectations, we were able to enjoy the rest of our trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank anne4778
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Hello anne4778,

Thank you for taking the time to write us on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry that it took longer than expected to check in and get settled in your room. I would also like to apologize for all the confusion with your American Express card, I truly understand how frustrating that must have been for you. I can assure you that this is not something that happens often. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and I really appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I was there in August and it was not very busy. Hotel staff very pleasant. Our room was not overlooking the ocean but it was nice. Stocked refrigerator with very expensive candy that I would never pay that price for but at 2 in the morning I wanted chocolate so guess what? I bought snickers for the price of a small car. Meals were all very expensive and just mediocre. We did venture to the small downtown and had a pizza one night. When I return to the states and got my cc bill I was charged twice. I called the pizza restaurant and they took it off no questions. I found a Dunkin Donuts in the village which I was very happy about. The cream they serve is so dairy smelling I couldn't drink it. We did have a lot of fun riding the banana boat and parasailing. We also rode the glass bottom boat and we went to a clambake if you went on a TimeShare visit. We loved the hotel and the infinity pool. They offer many island excursions but beware of paying too much. Also don't leave anything valuable in your room. It didn't happen at this hotel but at another hotel a woman on one of our excursions had money stolen from her room. The money turned up after this woman flipped out on them. I heard her screaming on the phone to the hotel while we were on our tour. She told us the money was found after that. I think you have to be cautious anywhere you go, not just here. All in all it was fun and a great experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MassTraveler2013

Hello MassTravler2013,

Thank you for making the time to write us on TripAdvisor. It makes us smile knowing you had a fun time riding the banana boat and parasailing. Lastly, thank you for your kind words about our staff, I really appreciate it. I hope you can find the time to visit us again!

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Hotel:The rooms were great and with breathtaking view. The many pools were great and the beach beautiful. The restaurants were overpriced and not very palatable. We also paid cash at one restaurant they charged us a second time on our room invoice...thank goodness I kept my receipt. The Casino was a nice addition.

Service:
The staff members were great! Even volunteering to get us fresh coconuts from the trees

The Island:
Unfortunately, aside from the small market place across from the hotel there isn't much else to see outside of the hotel. We ventured out there a couple of times for shopping, food, glass bottom boat tours and a stage with local performers. That was about it.

Great tip:
For about $116 US, we were able to get flights to Nassau and spent the day at Atlantis - amazing!

I highly recommend Lucaya if you plan on simply lounging on the beach. If you are looking for activities beyond that and the market place...Nassau island may be best.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank ann4401
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Hello ann4401,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy you had a nice time here and enjoyed the beautiful view. Also, thank you for your kind words about our staff, I really appreciate your feedback. I hope you'll get the chance to visit us again sometime.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

We attended from Canada near the end of April 2014 for 7 days at the Grand Lucayan Resort. Front counter attendance quite quick, met Megan Coakley who had the very modern" up raised hairdo, business pin striped suite and a very wide pleasant smile I have not seen in a long time! We had requested a upper floor with ocean view because of Trip Advisor reviews and pictures from travel sites. Megan at first said they did not have available king bed room but would talk to her manager. It was arranged got room 1036. Thank you also Mr.Pedro Miller guest services manager and a card I have for Mr.Roderick Colebrook rooms division. Megan Coakley also assisted us for information during the week concerning information material of resorts restaurants, what to do in area, departure times and conveniences. Megan's excellent communications with her staff, her willingness to assist me/us in every detail to make our stay wonder full, enjoyable, memorable from my supervisor experience of many years you should become a Head Manager! We had the almost "all Inclusive" package and sure glad we did as just would definitely not enjoyed our experience as much. The resort beach is very long, raked each am, very clean, soft and water very clear and no coral, pebbles to hurt feet. But I did step on a shell with sharp needles in the grass spotted area so stay away from that area. The resort very quiet, not many tourists, beach not crowed and lots of lounger chairs and you can go near or far away from people as two beach bars, two infinity pools(beautiful), two beach bars, and lots of sandy beach at the far end with a 50ft.lap pool. This is a area with a spa(too far from resort room building)a gym up stairs(some very rusted old treadmills, mine loose belt) but has enough machines and exercise ball room. Not much windows, close together machines. The Spa prices my wife felt are way to high cost per length of time. We have attended many (11)+ 5*resorts with spa's,(15)4-5*resorts in 10+countries and found this resort expensive in all restaurants and areas for what was available to us. Two have to remember our go to breakfast restaurant to see if open, or what three restaurants were open at times was a little frustrating. We do not like rushing out for breakfast as it closed at 1030am(buffet style). Willy Broadleaf(breakfast) was just okay to All Inclusive experienced as service at egg counter slow and lady never smiled even when given a tip and nothing said. Pans of potatoes when out I asked if any more she said she was busy with egg's. Fruit dishes many times empty and very standard restaurant. The décor very lacking on counters, felt we were sitting in a ware house as no ceiling and should have been painted brighter and a happier setting. Irisis Restaurant we found a usual long wait for drinks and food(one day 1hr.30min for a pizza did not eat)it.Another day waited for the right wine &food. We must say thou food was delicious and very hot! Thank you Manager Mr. Clayton Tucker for your pleasant communication and understanding and suggestion for return service to another restaurant. Churchill's Rest. was great! Wow! Michelin cooks! We have never tasted such delicious sauces and excellent prepared meals!! Here is a 35.00 cover charge, nice man and lady sang songs with music in the adjoining bar which we could hear while eating. China Beach restaurant we enjoyed the beautiful patio, ocean view and buffets, and menu's. Very beautiful setting area and lots of windows with inset locations. Reminded us of "White House Sandals resort, Jamaica. But we paid over 1,000plus dollars for almost Inclusive and still could not order the *menu food!! and would have had to pay another 25.00 ea. this is not good! We have not ever experienced this at 5* resorts with a "All Inclusive Plan" and with concierge service! China Grill near out side pool was great and nice waitresses. The Wed dinner out side on the grass, pool was the best experience we had out side and especially the "Gully Wash Cocanut drinks" and man making them. Great for pictures on resort! Bartender in evening at Havana Cay Lounge &Cigar Bar very great service and nice. Plantation Café not enough snacks, slow but had to use it many times as nothing in our room fridge not even water when arriving! Hammerheads beach bars good service, but people used to their own mugs, just poor the cup drinks into them your self(not like Mexico). Such a beautiful resort and location in Free Port but I found talking to resort working people they do not appreciate the 15% added on our bills or their people pools for their tips(some say only 2-3%? We gave to all 20% above the(15%) in cash as this is much more appreciated in all parts of the world for resort/restaurant service and seemed here also. This policy should be changed and you would get many more return customers. Most tourists I observed were adults. I did look at Memories Resort beach(right beside) which was very full and more children. We have excellent pictures for our Travel Agency Agents to see and read, but our room patio ocean view was the memories we will keep for ever. Thanks Megan.I will recommend this resort for adult couples, weddings, meetings and relaxing. SoftSand-13.

Room Tip: From 6 floor above palm trees to 10thfloor best view of ocean. Stay away from Memories Resort Pongo...
5  Thank lastingmemory

Hello softsand-13,

Thank you so much for a great review on TripAdvisor! I'd also like to thank you for your kind words about our staff. I'm so happy you enjoyed the soft and groomed beach. Also, I'm glad you liked the all-inclusive package. I'm so sorry you didn't care for Willy broadleaf breakfast buffet, most guests rave about their experience there. I'm so glad you felt differently about Iries, China Grill and especially Churchill's. Again, thank you so much for rating us, I really appreciate your feedback and hope you and your wife will visit us again sometime. :-)

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!