“Lovely resort - every room with a view!”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our visit there. The location cannot be beat, as it is right on a wonderful beach and you can walk across the street to the little market area with all kinds of shops. The pools are numerous and well-maintained, including an excellent infinity pool looking out over the ocean. The Hammerhead Bar down by the pools and beach is awesome. The decor in general is dated, and I always found myself thinking of the Jetsons when standing by the elevators. However, everything is very clean. Our room was nice and spacious, and the bedding was quite comfortable. My only complaints with the room are first, when it rained the water seeped in from the balcony and got the carpet wet about a foot into the room. We had to be careful not to put anything on the floor near there. And the second complaint is that hot water was not always available, depending on the time we chose to shower. The housekeeping staff was wonderful and took good care of us. We ate the breakfast buffet at Willy Broadleaf's and it was pretty good with lots of choices. Dinner one night was at China Beach and it was average to good. I had room service from Churchill's one night, coconut shrimp, and it was really good. All the restaurants are ridiculously expensive, as is their all-inclusive option. We ate most of our meals at restaurants in the little market across the street. Pisces restaurant served some very good food and even a decent pizza. Breakfast at Zorba's was really good too. The spa on-site quoted me $85 for a spa pedicure, so I went to a beauty shop in the market and got a very nice one for $35. The concierge desk was very helpful and always available to answer questions. I was a little distressed that I had gone to them to ask about churches in the area for Easter Services and they gave me the information, but didn't bother to tell me that there would be a sunrise service right on the property. I only became aware of it when I heard them singing half way through it, so because of the time my cruise left I missed going to any Easter service. My point is, communication there could use some work. This was my third time in the Bahamas, and quite honestly, I probably won't go again. But if I did, this is where I would stay. Just make sure you're in vacation mode when you go, because everyone is on "island time"!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor oceanview and it was great!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sscheid
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Hello sscheid,

Thank you so much for giving us such great feedback and rating us on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your vacation spending time at the pools and at Hammerheads Bar! I'm so sorry that water leaked into your room from the balcony. I'm also sad to hear you missed our Easter service. Overall, I really appreciate your feedback and I'll share this information with our staff. It was our pleasure to serve you and it's great to hear you had such a good time. Thanks again!

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Write a ReviewReviews (3,023)

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had an amazing vacation here at the beginning of April!
We were checked in immediately and had no wait at the front desk, although a woman who came on our flight was left waiting for a room that apparently hadn't been cleaned? (We arrived at 7pm)
The rooms were clean and well kept; cleaned and fresh towels every day in a timely manner. We stayed in an Island View room so the view wasn't spectacular but you got a nice peek at the market and marina over the trees. There was a nice mini fridge that we were able to use under our TV.
The beach was spectacular and HUGE compared to the Memories resort next door! Always lots of chairs out and rarely busy - it only got a bit busy when the cruise ships came in and people were waiting for rooms. Lots of people wandering up and down the beach offering hair braiding, tours, bracelets etc...but they were all very pleasant and took your first no as the final answer.
The pools were pretty and well kept but we didn't spend much time in them because the beach was spectacular. Lots of activities by the poolside in the afternoon for all ages!
Staff were absolutely lovely and SO friendly - LOVED Lily from Willy Broadleaf - she was an absolute hoot and SO welcoming.
We did the all inclusive package and it was somewhat disappointing; all restaurants are only open certain nights and you are only able to eat from a select menu (no seafood seemed to be the big thing). We got bored fairly quickly with the selection and most of the food was just ok. Churchill's was delicious but we had a pretty surly waitress who made the evening a bit of a drag. We tried a few restaurants in the market to get some variety and I would definitely spend more time eating there than at the resort next time! I have some dietary restrictions as well so it made it a bit tricky for me to find anything to eat on the menu.
My only complaint was that you never get to see the sunset! You can catch a sunrise if you get up early enough but I got up twice and it was too cloudy to see much of anything. We went out to a restaurant at the Marina to see a spectacular sunset!
We went on the Dolphin Swim with Unexso, Snorkelling with the Watersports tours and Horseback riding at Pinetree stables - all AMAZING excursions and highly reccomended.
Lots of wildlife - lizards, birds, crabs, etc...on and around the beach, very cool to see!
Would definitely come back here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rebekah101

Hi Rebekah101,

Thanks so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! It's great to hear you had such an amazing vacation and I'm so glad you experienced some of the excursions as well. I'd also like to thank you for your kind words about Lily, she is just a sweetheart! It saddens me to hear you found the all inclusive disappointing but I'm glad you enjoyed dining at Churchills. Next time, at any of our restaurants, be sure to inform your waiter about your dietary restrictions and we'll do our best to whip you up something up delicious! Thank you again for taking the time to write us and I really appreciate your feedback, I look forward to your next trip!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Although the resort was comfortable and had beautiful views from where we are stayed, the food was horrible. Expensive but quality of the food is poor. We ordered over 100 dollars worth of food and received frozen pizzas and frozen chicken. Nothing was fresh, not even the vegetables that came with the meals.

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank PapayaMedicine
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Hello PapayaMedicine,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I'm happy were comfortable and enjoyed the resort grounds but I'm so sorry you did not like the food you order through room service. I really appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

The pools, beach front and service were fantastic. Massages at the Spa were delightful. We were at the resort on day passes and ended up coming back 4 days in row. Staff was genuinely nice and helpful at all times. Especially Food and Bev manager Quentin R. who helped sort out our poolside cabana (which by the way is awesome and a great deal) . Lovely resort!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Brigid D

Hello Brigid,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so thrilled to hear you had such a fantastic time the first time, that you came back for more. Also, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your time at the spa. Lastly, thank you for your kind words about our food and beverage manger, Quentin, I'm please to hear he was able to help you book a pool side cabana. Again, thank you so much and I hope you'll visit us again some day. :-)

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Number three trip coming up It;s a beautiful building ,starting from the friendly greeting at the door,into the big smiles from the desk.All types of food with great service.Beautiful views everywhere.Rooms have all you need, great beds & plus.Water everywhere,hot tub was great.Pools of all kinds,lots of things for the kids All kinds of shopping if you don;t want to play in the water It;s got trips to take you on sightings.Best of all is looking out your balcony or just looking at the sea from anywhere, it will be a sight you will never forget.See you in October.

Room Tip: If you get ocean view get one above the trees
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ezileb01

Hello ezileb01,

Thank you for taking the time rate us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy you keep coming back. The saying is true, three times a charm! ;-) Thank you so much for your kind words about our resort and I truly look forward to seeing you and your family in October.

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. Room had an excellent view. They fulfilled my special request of giving me a room on the upper level. Pool and beach was gorgeous! Check was quick and without issues! Would definitely go back!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anyu C
Grand L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Hello Anyu,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! I'm so happy everything was great during your stay and that we were able fulfill your request. I look forward to your next visit. ;-)

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Check-in process:

I recently stayed at the Grand Lucayan for a friends wedding. Upon arrival we checked in and everything seemed to be going smoothly until we arrived at our room... We had a reservation for a king bed, but when we got to our room we had 2 "queens" they looked like doubles to me. We went back to front desk and explained the situation. I was told "the room type is a preference and they do not guarantee the king bed." I was not happy to hear this and luckily had printed my reservation out prior to the trip. I showed the man behind the counter where it specifically said king bed. After seeing this he told me that there were no king rooms available and if i tried back in an hour or two there may be one available. I was not happy with this answer because while in line the three woman in front of me had the same problem, as well as another couple in the wedding party and i did not want to take a chance of coming back in a few hours to hope there was a king room available. While sitting in the lobby, the mother of the bride walked through the lobby and asked why we were sitting in the lobby. After explaining my situation she immediately got the director of customer relations and asked for resolution. Within in 5 minutes we were given a key to a king room on the 9th floor, which had a partial view of the ocean (our original reservation did NOT have an ocean view so this room was a pleasant surprise). The room was very spacious with a large balcony and extremely comfortable bed!! Had i not been there for a wedding, i do not know if our room situation would have been resolved. Later in the trip i met others in the hot tub who had the same room troubles.

As for the resort grounds:

They are beautiful with multiple pools and a very large beach. They are also located right across from the port lucaya marketplace, which is great for shopping and food.

The resort staff:

Some were friendly, others not so much. Our party found that most staff did not have much knowledge about the area. We asked what time the shops closed and were told 11pm, they really close between 5 and 6. Asked for a good seafood restaurant were given a name, upon arrival were told that they only seat with a reservation and they were booked for the night. Asked why the water trampoline was not in the water and was told a third party runs it for them and id have to go talk to them. supposedly they had a hut on the beach.... i was never able to find it.

Overall:

taking into consideration how much we paid per night ($144.57 fees included) we received a good value. we did not have the all inclusive. the property is beautiful and the room we finally got was great. In terms of the resort offering you much more than the location, room and pool i would not expect much. Hope this was helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jeff12245

Hello Jeff12245,

Thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. First off, I'd like to apologize that you experience some difficulties at check-in requesting a king room, but I am please to read customer relations was able to help resolve the issue and that you enjoyed the spacious room, comfy bed and ocean view. I'm happy to read you found the pools and beach to be beautiful and took some time to visit the Marketplace. I'm sorry you felt like the staff was not knowledgeable about the area. The water trampoline is operated by Ocean Motion, a water sports company based on our beach. Their operating hours are normally from 9AM to 5PM and are located by Memories Hotel beach. Overall, I'm glad you enjoyed your time here.

Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!