“Great new place, thanks Sunwing”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My wife and I booked the new Memories Freeport ,but it wasn't,ready yet so we took the Grand Lucayan option. The hotel is right next door to the Memories so the location was perfect. The Lucayan is not normally an all inclusive so you had to sign for everything.it took a while to get use to it,but they were quick to get the bill for you.they even had service around the pool and the beach, plus room service which was a bonus.the hotel is a little dated and could use a Reno . The service and staff were 1st rate.
The food was great and they even had a Starbucks which was available for all inclusive guests. The rooms were clean and the beds are pillow tops ,very comfortable.our room had portable dehumidifier in it and it really made a difference.lots of beach and pool chairs around everywhere which made for a relaxing time.the island is a little quite so I recommend only a week at a time.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Larry S
There are newer reviews for Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

Reviewed February 2, 2014

We were part of the many that were offered to stay here after the delay of Memories opening. At first we were disappointed as we felt that the resort wouldn't be comparable and some of the reviews weren't that great. About half way through our trip, we all agreed that we would have possibly felt cheated as our resort, with it's great pools and world class views offered better value for our money.

We travelled with a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old, which can always be a bit of a challenge. However, the staff were always around to interact with our kids and make us feel welcome. I know the staff don't move at the pace that we might be used to. But if you interact with them, treat them with respect, they are quite interesting. It took me about 2 days to realize I wasn't going to get my drink in 30 seconds or less, but then I realized that there are way worst places in the world to have to wait a few extra minutes for some service. We did tip often with the service staff, and they were always appreciative of this, it did not come to be an expectation.

Although this resort isn't set up to be a full "all inclusive", and we were nervous about signing bills that we were all trying to add up in our heads, there were no problems at checkout. In fact, the staff did warn us when we asked for Gelato, that there would be a charge on our account if we wanted it. But take advantage of the great room service menu, the latte's at the cafe and all of the other restaurants. Because of us traveling with kids, we didn't go to Churchills out of respect for the others that wanted a nice meal out. We did spend a lot of our time eating at the China Grill and Iries. Both spots had something that would appeal to the kids to keep them going.

We had a top floor ocean-view room and we couldn't possibly have enjoyed that any more than we did. I actually looked forward to my sons nap time where I could sit on the balcony and see all of the action. We could also spot quite a few stingrays swim by, really close to shore! We tried to snorkel and get close to them, but couldn't find them while in the water.

The market was a lot of fun. Our service at one of the restaurants was terrible, but that will be in a different review.

We fell in love with the bahamas and can't wait to get back there.

Room Tip: Although a top floor room is an obvious request, please know that it is also the busiest and loudest...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank dickbob
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and I had a lovely time at Grand Lucayan in December 2013. We had an ocean view room, breakfast at Willie Broadleaf's every morning (great continental buffet) and a few free drink tickets through a Living Social deal. The resort is very picturesque- esp if you go with the ocean view room! I also had a massage at the Senses Spa on the property; what a relaxing place! Had some fun at Port Lucaya across the street as well. We would definitely return. Check out the infinity pool beyond the Lanai Suites - it is much more private and calm, less people running around trying to sell you banana boat rides and less daytime resort-goers from the Carnival cruises.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Hi Aimee062,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear you and your husband had a wonderful time spending time by the pool, enjoyed your ocean view room and found time to relax at the spa. I hear great things from the Willie Broadleaf's buffet and I'm glad you enjoyed it too! I hope you can visit us again sometime.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Visited hotel from Jan 23 to 30. Had a great time. Found hotel to be dated but very clean. Hotel grounds were well maintained. Found the staff quite pleasant and had no issues with service.
Beach area is beautiful and pools were very clean. Due to the delay of the opening of the Memories resort, The staff at the grand lucyan had to deal with many frustrated travellers, which they did as best they could. My overall impression is that the resort did a fantastic job of trying to keep everyone happy. The people of Grand Bahama island and the resort are first rate, and will recommend this destination to anyone interested in visiting this location.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JerryT1993

Hello JerryT1993,

Thanks for taking the time to write us on TripAdvisor. I'm so happy to hear you had a lovely time enjoying the beach, pools and service. I appreciate your kind words and hope you can visit us again!

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I recently stayed at the Grand Lucayan and I had a wonderful stay on many levels. But even with the quality of my room and its views (I have attached a photo), the excellent food that I had in the restaurants, and the fact that the ocean is RIGHT THERE, the best part of my stay was the people who work there.

You know, you can tell when someone is smiling and greeting you because they have to, or because it's part of their job. Well, I never had that feeling at the Grand Lucayan (or in Freeport) regardless of who I met. From the housekeepers to the front desk to the wait staff in the restaurants, everyone seemed genuinely pleased that I was there. This made my short trip tremendously enjoyable and I recommend Freeport as a destination for that reason alone.

But the hotel was great, too, and the food was really quite good. I recommend the fine dining restaurant, Churchills, but note that you will need to get reservations, so do so the minute you check in or before you arrive if possible. Everything was fresh and well-prepared.

I suppose I was destined to especially enjoy this trip given that it was 8 degrees at home, but I was made to feel so welcome that I know I would have enjoyed this trip regardless of the circumstances. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Obviously, a room high overlooking the ocean is best, but since the ocean is so close it really does...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank JohnJSmallwood

Hello JohnJSmallwood,

Thank so much for leaving a review on TripAdvisor! I'm pleased to hear you had a wonderful vacation away from some really cold weather. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. Also, I'm happy you had a pleasant dining experience at Churchills. Thanks again, hope you can vacation with us again soon!

-Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed here for one day, during a cruise. Day Pass was 15 USD and from that price you were able to use their beaches, pools and WiFi. There is lots of different pools and the beach is big aswell.

There is also a free option nearby but it was very crowded compared to this, and I recommend this also for the restaurants and nice pools.

The entrance is just next to casino.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tommypee1

Hi tommypee1,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor and choosing to spend the day at the Grand Lucayan during your cruise. We are happy to hear you had a great time! Hope you can come back and stay with us longer next time.

Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

While I hade multiple problems during my bahamas vacation, few were caused by the hotel or staff. Loved the hotel. Beach is immaculate. Staff very friendly, although mostly uninformed. Check in was a hassle and was not informed of correct procedures by 3 different staff members. Once check in was solved everything was fantastic except for dining experience. I only ate at the buffet for dinner one night and honestly it was a joke. 3 main dishes, salad bar was lettuce and dressing only and dessert was very limited. Not worth the $20 by any means. Beautiful room with excellent view. Pool too cold to swim in and no one was using but the ocean was nice and warm. The beach and ground are well cared for and very clean as was the room and buildings.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank LaJollaVet

Hi LaJollaVet,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I'm happy to here you liked your room and the view. I'm sorry the pool was a bit on the chilly side but I'm glad you had a great time swimming in the ocean. Also, I'd like to apologize for the confusion at check-in but I'm happy you found the staff friendly. I truly appreciate your feedback and hope you get the chance to visit the Bahamas again sometime.

Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!