“Not what we had dreamed of”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Bashaw Alberta
“Not what we had dreamed of”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I just got back from the Grand Lucayan Thursday, the 23rd. Having booked a Diamond Club Deluxe swim out ocean view rooms at Memories that has not yet opened, I was disappointed. The grounds, beach and ocean is beautiful. The food selection was worse than I would have expected for a 4.5 star hotel. We were on an inclusive package, but there were many exclusions. The 2 a la carte restaurants had many choices unavailable to us without extra costs. At the coffee shop, ice cream and bottled water are excluded. As I'd told my son not to do any room charges, they wouldn't even take cash so he could buy ice cream. No ice cream at a beach...are you kidding me?! Entertainment? Huh? I saw nothing of any activity crew short of bingo and two girls sitting by themselves after dark showing some movie. The two or three minutes I stopped to chat with them, I only saw skin on the screen. After 10:00 the place was dead. Fine for me, but the young people I was with were pretty bored. So if it's it's solely nice grounds, great ocean and friendly people you'll get what you're looking for. I don't think I'll go back there.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank LovetheOceans
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Hello LovetheOcean,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. First off, on behalf of Memories, I am sorry they did not open in time. The Grand Lucayan is not an all-inclusve resort and we are working hard to honor all guest needs from Memories. I'm sorry you didn't find any of the activities at and around the resort entertaining. I am happy to read you enjoyed the beautiful beach and our friendly staff. I appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration.

Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,059)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Ok, where do I start. THis entire facility is unaccountable. I was placed in room 625 with my service dog which I was charged $75 extra to bring her in. The bellman who took me to my room was very discriminatory against dogs and made improper statements about her looking mean.

Room 625 had a very strong toxic smell of EPOXY paint or spray paint. My mouth was numb and i was worried about my dog. A housekeeper asked me if I wanted room freshener sprayed in there. HA. what a joke. The smell couldn't be covered up!!

I complained 3 times to a never ending supply of front desk agents, finally to get a room change which was very inconvenient once I had settled in and I had placed food in the refrigerator which was ultimately forgotten amid the chaos.

I was moved to room 557 and this room was equally as dated with blue 1980s furnishings. The tub tile grout was full of mold and even caulk was put over the mold!!!!!! YUK

My internet WI FI that was promoted as 'no cost' didn't work on the evening that I stayed. I went to bed early and woke up to irregular and horribly slow internet. Again I complained and they just put me off. After all,, my time frame and window of opportunity was dwindling since i was there only one night and I couldn't invest too much time on filing complaints. At 10 am, the horrible spray paint smell was being filtered through my vents and the odor was unbearable. I complained 4 more times to desk agents and left messages with Allison Cartright to call me back, which she didn't and I had to go eat something. I couldn't stay in my room waiting for a manager to call me. AFTER ALL, THIS WAS MY VACATION. I HAVE LIMITED TIME HERE.

I FINALLY CHECKED OUT OF MY ROOM AND WENT TO THE FRONt desk to speak to allison Cartwright in person. She didn't explain the persistent toxic odor and wouldn't give any compensation for my time lost, stress and inconvenience. All she said was that they moved me to another room (which ironically had the same issues and dirty grout and barely any internet) and that was all they were doing for me.

THey could care less about customer service. on their phones,there is a button marked '100% customer satisfaction guarantee" WHAT A JOKE……….This isn't america where that really means something. It means nothing in Freeport.

NObody was accountable here. I even was told the toxic smell was tub cleaner. LOL, the smell was PAINT from obvious construction.

Im reporting this to the EPA and am following up with my credit card company. Ive been to Freeport twice. There is little customer service on this island. GO elsewhere where you are appreciated and treated with respect.

This isn't the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn. Your comfort isn't important to them. THey must be doing well and have no trouble filling rooms because they don't care if you come back or give them poor internet reviews.

Allison Cartwright was not sincere and she was poor management material. I even detected sarcasm when she told me to have a good day.

They have biases towards service dogs which is unacceptable.

On 2 occasions i witnessed angry customers at the lobby. One which I heard clearly was that room key cards wouldn't work. THe lobby just blamed it on the guest by putting it in his wallet with other things (where else would you keep a room key)?

THe restaurants offered mediocre food and substandard service. I ended up buying potato chips at the gift shop to eat. THe outside grill ran out of veggie burgers………The drinks had little rum in them. they were full of syrups and artificial c odors

The HUGE disadvantage of staying here is that you have to go down a long outside hallway in order to get to your room, entering through a room card key access door and into another security building.

If you forget something or in the case of the above, where a guests key cards don't work, you are forced to walk through this long path again to get to the lobby and stand in line with others who are having the same problem.

The line at the lobby was always long from my witness

on a final note, the ironing board was stained and the knob on the iron was broken. you couldn't see what heat level you were choosing………………….

Overall the place isn't being kept up but they keep charging high rates to unsuspecting guests. If your room rate is $99, expect service and resort fees to be double that amount. Ive had better luck at LaQuinta and Motel 6

Room Tip: DOnt stay here at all. THey are slow if ever to rectify problems and don't compensate you for lo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
8 Thank Ken J
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Hello Ken,

Thank you for reaching out to us on Trip Advisor. I'm sincerely sorry you didn't have a memorable experience during your stay. I'd like to apologize for the smell that disturbed you, but our rooms are not toxic. We have been making improvements around the resort by painting the hallways and adding corner pieces on the floor you stayed on at the time. Since you expressed your unhappiness we tried our best by moving you to a new room. I'm so sorry you did not feel that was enough and that our front desk staff came off as rude, that is not the Grand Lucayan way. Lastly, we do charge a service dog fee of $75 for guest that provide service dog documentation, that you had. I'm sorry that the bellman who assisted you to your room was a bit intimidated by your companion. I truly appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to e-mail me at guestservices@grandlucayan.com if you have any other concerns.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I liked the beach and the abundance of chez longs at the pools. I wish there was more shade. We went here in Dec-Jan, and it was often too cold to swim. The hotel itself is nothing special but the market Cross the road is a log of fun.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hi Tasha596,

Thanks for rating us on TripAdvisor. We are happy to read you enjoyed the beach but I'm sorry the ocean was a bit chilly for your liking. Thanks again for the feedback.

Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Well I must say I have come back a little disappointed, my husband and I went with 3 other couples and were re-located here due to the Memories delay. I feel like I paid for 5 star but only got 3. I had fresh blood smeared on my clean towel one day. Gross, sticky blow dryer. The bottom sheet on the (really comfortable) bed wasn't fitted so keeps coming off every time you toss or turn. Gross waking up to sleeping on an uncovered mattress.

All inclusive lines were horrible and I feel like we were treated like second rate guests regardless of tips. NO BOTTLED WATER for all inclusive!!!! This was probably the most mind blowing. Lack of menu options at available restaurants for All Inclusive guests. Confusing as well, Almost no seafood is included for all inclusive guests which is extremely disappointing to a seafood lover on a tropical vacation. The beach and water is OUTSTANDING and amazingly beautiful. I found one front counter girl very rude, but another was extremely friendly. We did get amazing service from Gerade and Delphine, but otherwise we felt like an inconvenience to wait staff. Didn't get beach service till our 4th day?! Don't even get me started on Their posh restaurant Churchills, 3 hour wait for food, itty bitty portions and no sides were offered probably because of our all inclusive bands.

I feel like it lacked activities, the one time our group tried to play volleyball they wouldn't give my husband a ball because they were reserving the net for cruise guests!!!!! One cruise guest showed up and we played with him after getting a ball from the other side of the resort. FRUSTRATING! we did really enjoy Iries entertainment with Jay Mitchell, and danced the night away there. No manager ever came around which I expected especially after the blood on the towel, really disappointed overall but made the best of it.

Room Tip: I was on the 9th floor and had a really hard time keeping a WiFi connection, also not crazy about lo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hi CandaceWanderlust,

Thank you for rating us on TripAdvisor. I'm so sorry you didn't have a good experience at our resort. As you may not know we are not an all-inclusive resort but we are trying our best to accommodate all the guest from Memories because of their opening delay. First off, I'm sorry that you received a stained towel, that is rare and I'd like to follow up with you. Please e-mail us at guestservices@grandlucayan.com. Also, I'm so sorry you didn't like the food options and experienced long lines. I'd also like to apologize for the service you received from one of the front desk members. I am happy to hear you experienced friendly service from others, like Gerade and Delphine and enjoyed yourself at Ires and the entertainment. We truly appreciate your feedback.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Spacious quiet rooms with an excellent view if you get ocean front. Plenty of free entertainment. Very freindly staff. The best! The Churchill Resteraount is also very good but will cost extra. Prepare for peace and relaxation.

Room Tip: Just bring a little extra money for food and you will be all set! You will want an oceanfront room e...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank David H
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hello David,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor! I appreciate your kind words about our resort and are happy to hear you loved your ocean view and enjoyed a delicious meal at Churchills. Come back anytime for a little peace and relaxation!

-Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services
Ylojarvi, Finland
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Grand Bahama it self don't offer better place to stay if looking the total ameneties this hotel can offer. Restaurants, pools, beaches etc.
Some of the beach restaurants were not open, maybe it was off-season...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Santero70
Hi Santero70,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. We are happy you enjoyed all the amenities the Grand Lucayan has to offer. We hope you can visit us again soon!

Shallotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at the Grand Lucayan January 12-16, 2014, and can tell anyone, with no reservation, the experience was beyond excellent. The Marina View room met or exceeded all expectations for quality, comfort, and cleanliness. The balcony view of the Marina and the Lucayan community is spectacular, especially at night. If you select the Grand Lucayan, make absolutely sure to meet Mr. Freddie Smith and Mr Clayton Tucker with hotel management. These two gentlemen are totally awesome and so wonderful. Bruno at the Plantation Cafe always had hot coffee ready combined with a great smile -- Bruno, you are "The Man." Churchills is truly a world class restaurant in every respect. The baked lobster, lamb, and filet mignon are to-die-for delicious. Ask for Anastasia to be your server -- she is the crown jewel of the Bahamas and will deliver a fantastic Bahamian dining experience. Velma at Willy Broadleaf is equally as wonderful and will have a great smile for you. The breakfast buffet is delicious, and the fish fry too. Willard with the security team is one of the nicest people ever, and kept an eagle-eye on our belongings while on the beach. He also knows virtually every aspect of the Lucaya community. If you need to know the location of a certain attraction or store, ask Willard. Be sure to visit Freeport Jewelers across the street, and ask for Lynn. I would consider her an expert concerning precious stones and she will give you honest, excellent advice. I personally met every person mentioned, and they made me feel so very welcome every minute of every day. Mr. Smith and Mr. Tucker, you really, really delivered a "beyond excellent" vacation experience --- and this is deeply appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
18 Thank Chuck665
Hi Chuck665,

Thank you so much for writing a raving review on TripAdvisor! We are so happy to read you had a grand experience staying with us. Thank you for your kind words about our staff members: Freddie, Clayton, Bruno, Anastasia, Velma, Willard. I will be sure to let them know their hard work did not go unnoticed. On behalf of everyone, it was a pleasure meeting and serving you! Be sure to visit us again soon!

- Pedro Miller, Director of Guest Services
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!