“Bleh”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
“Bleh”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I am at this resort right now due to the Memories Grand Bahamas delaying their grand opening.
The rooms need a reno, the beds are good but the bath tub is disgusting.
The restaurant options are extremely limited and the buffets have a really small selection. A big turn off for me today was the moldy tomatoes at lunch. The staff seem to hate their jobs and do not enjoy serving people. Especially the ones at the bar by the pool.
The bathrooms by the pool are completely unfit and disgusting. I have been going from the beach to my room on the 6th floor to use the washroom.
We are a group of 8 and one couple had a problem with their movie channel. When they complained to the front desk, the woman there was extremely rude and lied saying it was a problem throughout the entire resort.
Because we are on the all inclusive plan, You have to sign your life away for each drink and each meal. This makes line ups at bars worse because its time consuming.
You cannot get a bottle of water in the all inclusive, but you can get cans of soda, gatorade, beer included. Does not make sense at all!!! Management needs to address that. Tap water from the bathroom that only comes out warm is not pleasant to drink.
The majority of the staff here are not friendly and make you feel like you are inconveiniencing them. They should spend a week training with the staff from Secrets The Vine in Cancun, Mexico to learn how to treat people. I do have to mention a server named Gerard because he was actually great. And Charles the guy that sells excursions and activities in the beach is wonderful too. He is honest and friendly so book things through him. He will deliver!!
This resort has an opportunity to make a good impression on people that were not planning on coming here. If we were having a good experience, we would plan a return trip and spread the word on how great this place is. Unfortunately that is not going to happen. It would be nice to see a manager around to express our concerns but good luck finding one. They are probably hiding because they know how bad this place is.
The only saving grace is the beach, its stunning and beautiful!!!
We're here for 10 more days, wish us luck.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
21 Thank TiaGoose
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Hello TiaGoose,

Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know how your stay is going. First of all, I want to take this time to apologize on behalf of Memories Grand Bahamas. Their delay in opening is certainly unfortunate. And I completely sympathize with any frustration you may have experienced due to the unexpected change in accommodations. Our role, as you know, has been to accommodate this unique overflow of guests, and in some cases, modifying our existing services to match the accommodations that you booked at Memories Grand Bahamas. I am so very sorry to hear that your stay thus far has been anything less than exceptional.

You have detailed a number of concerns in your review and I want to assure you that they have not gone unread or unconsidered. The first concern I want to address is the all inclusive. Though Grand Lucayan offers an all inclusive plan, it is a limited plan for guests seeking a more affordable offering. We are not a traditional all inclusive and I’m very sorry this was not in line with your expectations. In regards to the movie channels, we have been experiencing issues throughout the resort. Again, I sincerely apologize. We are working on this issue.

On another note, I’m so very pleased to know that Gerard and Charles left such a positive impression on you. And I will certainly pass along your kind words.

You are absolutely right, the unexpected delay in the opening of Memories was an opportunity to make a good impression on new guests who otherwise would not have visited the property. And although your stay got off to a rocky start, we want nothing more than for you to enjoy the remainder. We have passed along this review and your concerns to our front desk staff. If you would like to stop by and introduce yourself, Carmel Churchill would be happy to assist you with any current or ongoing concerns you might have, so please feel free to ask for Carmel directly.

- Your Friends at the Grand Lucayan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
Carlinville, Illinois
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We were in Freeport over the New Years holiday (I strongly recomend that if you are there at this time taking a bus and going to the parade on New Years Day) and stayed at the Grand Lucayan resort. The resort is beautiful as well as the grounds. The parts that we found disapointing were lack of bar service on the beach and food prices were pretty high. We found that going across the street to the market was a good alternative to eating at the resort and several of the places there had happy hour and or an early bird special that made dinner much more reasonalble. Our room was in the larger tower of the resort and the room was spacious and very clean. Overall I would stay at this resort again but will choose to go with the all-inclusive next time.

Room Tip: We had a harbor view room and it was beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Sfarrishoward
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Hello Sfarrishoward,

Thank you so much for rating us on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled to hear you had a wonderful time ringing in the New Year with us. We are happy you found time to relax on the beach but I'm sorry we didn't offer you bar service on the beach and found our restaurant prices high. I'm glad you found an alternative place to eat at the Port Lucaya Marketplace and that you took advantage of happy hour! : ) We'd love to have you and your family back! Keep an eye out for special offers on our website and Facebook page. Have a great year!

- Your Friends at the Grand Lucayan
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 15, 2014

property is nice but the restautant on the property was OK. They are close during the week. All the restaurant is over price. Staff was nice but I will not recommand, not much to do. They don't help on the beach and my experience that they were not polite. we ask gurd to put extra umbrella for us, it was windy but the way his response was unprofessinal. I will not recommand this resort. absolutely nothing to do.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vina2013
Hi Vina,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I was surprised to read you didn't find anything to do. Most guest find our beach, pools, water activities, the spa and recommendations of going on excursions, gabling at the casino and playing some gulf enjoyable. I'd like to apologize for the any confusion about our restaurant hours. All four restaurants are open during the week. Also, I'm so sorry that you found a staff member unprofessional at the beach, we try our best to make sure you have a lovely and friendly experience. Thanks again, we really appreciate your feedback.

- Grand Lucayan
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 13, 2014

First time back since 2008. You can tell they don’t hang the Starwood Flag anymore. Stayed at this property many times between 2003 & 2008 and there has not been any renovations interior or exterior since Starwood days. If you like a Ramada Inn / La Quinta Inn Standard with a beach and blue water this is the place. We came back for a night to see if we would return for a week next month. Going to find another place you get what you pay for! Keep in mind 15% gratuity included on all food and bar bills so no incentive to be pleasant or provide good service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Chris O
Hello Chris,

Thank you for rating us on TripAdvisor. I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your most recent stay and believe the resort has not been renovated. We usually hear nice comments about our grounds. We try our best to make sure everything on property is up to date and when we are working on renovations that we do not disturb any guest experience. If you have any recommendations on what you believe needs renovating please e-mail us at info@grandlucayan.com, we'd appreciate your feedback.

-Your Friends at the Grand Lucayan
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful place and reasonably priced but it could be much better than it is. There are great amenities but some things look a little tired or in need of repair. On the plus side, the beaches and pools are gorgeous, as is the lobby. On the downside, some things look dated and a couple of things are left in disrepair. Also, they make you wear a bracelet during your entire stay for security which seems a little chincy and identifies you as a tourist in town (and also gives you an unwanted tan line). The casino is small and the odds on the machines are poor.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Joe M
Hi Joe,

Thanks for rating us on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the pools, the beautiful beach and the amenities. I'd like to apologize if you found a couple things outdated. We try our best to stay up to date. Also, I'm sorry you didn't like the wristband. We use the bands so our staff knows who has certain resort packages, who has purchased day passes and to easily point out who is not a guest at the resort. Thanks again for your feedback!

Grand Lucayan
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I had to wait 7 hr. to get a room. The cruise ship took us over to Lucaya at 9:00 a.m..At 4:30 p.m. finally got the room. Had to wait 45 min. to get bages to the room. On my bages the top handle was riped off.( The room was very nice, great view. )

Mary

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Mary4755
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Hello Mary4755,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I'd like to apologize for the wait you received at check-in. Our goal is to quickly have our guest checked-in and settled in their rooms. I'm sorry you did not experience that kind of service. I'm also so sorry that your bag handle was damaged at some point, if you'd like to discuss this further with us, please e-mail us at info@grandlucayan.com.

- Grand Lucayan
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This was the first non-all-inclusive trip took so I was a little nervous about spending money. Turns out, rightfully so! This hotel nickels and dimes you to death. For example, a 6 oz glass of cheapo white wine from the pool bar is $12 with an additional 15% tip already added on, PLUS a line to add an additional tip if you want to. I didn't catch the automatic 15% after having already given a couple of extra tips....If you drink I highly recommend running across the street to the liquor store where you can buy a very nice bottle of white wine for $9. Then, each morning I would get a Latte and bowl of fruit for breakfast - $16!! Again, go across the street for anything food or drink.

The beach is awesome - gorgeous sand, and you can walk a little ways, but if you want to walk a long ways you will need to plan on navigating over lots of rocks and getting wet - especially if it's high tide. The water is perfectly clear blue.

The room was fine, but the bathtub was very outdated (1970's?) and not big enough for any adult unless you are 4 ft tall. It also doesn't have a shower head that detaches which I prefer.

I HIGHLY recommend the Cave Tour that the hotel offers....you will see the most beautiful beach in existence (Gold Rock Beach). I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I walked over the trail and saw it for the first time. We only got an hour there, but I will go back to Freeport JUST to go to that beach for the whole trip.

The phone in the room: Under the section that says "Instructions" ; for room-to-room it says, "see instructions for room-to-room".....yes, this was under "instructions".

No mini-fridge, but I imagine if there was anything in it would be 10 times the price that it would be outside of the room. VERY comfortable bed and I slept great every night with no issues whatsoever. Room was always cleaned in a timely manner and the service was very good for the most part.

So, I do recommend going there if you can get a good deal (under $150/night) and plan on eating and drinking outside of the hotel. There's a bunch of awesome shops, bars, and restaurants right across the street. And then if you walk to the right once entering the beach there is a small (shack) restaurant called Salty's (I think?). The Conch salad (ceviche) is TO-DIE-FOR, as are the pina colada's.

Room Tip: Ask for a penthouse and/or ocean view - I got one but don't think I paid extra for it. I had a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Jlynn444
Hello Jlynn444,

Thank you for rating us on Trip Advisor. We're overjoyed to hear you had an awesome experience exploring the beautiful natural beaches of the Bahamas. We couldn't agree more, the Cave Tour is one of our favorites. I'm so sorry our bathroom was a bit outdated. We currently are updating our hotel and the detachable shower head is a great idea! Otherwise, we are happy you found the room very comfortable and nicely maintained. We'd love to have you back, keep an eye out on our website for special offers! Thanks again, we'll take your feedback into consideration.

-Your Friends at the Grand Lucayan