Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Hotels.com
$225
$210
  • Breakfast included
Bell Channel Inn(Freeport)(Great Value!)
$84
$66
$178
HotelQuickly
3,057 results
All reviewschina beachacross the streetbreakers cayocean viewinfinity poolcigar barall inclusive packagelighthouse pointcruise shipday passbeautiful resortgrand celebrationall inclusive planswim up barthe check in processbanana boatper person
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had a beach side room in the very beginning of December, five floors up. It was a perfect room and a perfect time of year. The resort is gorgeous and the views are amazing. We could see out above the palm trees to the ocean and every morning the sunrise would wake us up withthe birds chirping and singing. We left the patio door open the entire time and the weather was just perfect. It was cool enough in the evening to need a light jacket/sweatshirt but during the day it was great for swimming and walking around in shorts and a t-shirt.
We didn't eat at any of the restaurants on the resort, but eveything else was fabulous. The rooms were nice and the staff was very friendly. Most of the vendors at the market were absurdly pushy, but that's not surprising. Of course, you don't pay what they ask for anything.
Probably the worst thing was trying to get off of the resort without being on an excursion for an exorbitant rate. If we had to do it over we would just get a rental car for a day or so and get away from the resort.
Best: eat at the local places, the beach, the view
Worst: felt confined to the resort

Room Tip: Definitely ocean side on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jared E
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Hello Jared,

We appreciate you rating us on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled to hear you loved your room especially the morning view! We could not have asked for better weather this December! Next time, visit our front desk and we'd be happy to help you find alternative ways to explore the island. Thanks again!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The grand lucayan resort is not all it is cracked up to be for the price. Ocean front room on the first 3 floors is a view of the pool with a ocean view price. When calling and going to office about this the First Lady was rude and said we would get moved the next day and a manager would call. No call and no move. Called 2 more times and still no call back. Upon checking out the had me write a statement to give to manager. When trying to get information about the local Junkanoo there information was incorrect. Tried to get correct information and never did. The Treasure Island casino dealers and pit bosses were of way more assistance and we did get to the festival, which was awesome. The only people that called us back were the housekeeping, to make sure we got the towels and toilet paper that we called for. I expected a few more activities for my family, but there were none. Views were nice, wait staff didn't come back unless you tipped more then the already added on 15%. Found that if they added the 15-18% tip any where in Lucayan they didn't come back for anything. Pools are not heated so the ocean was warmer. Rooms were nice inside.

2  Thank Schrauf74

Hi Schrauf74,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry you didn't find the resort enjoyable for your family. I'd also like to apologize for the confusion with trying to moving your room to a higher floor. We also try our best to offer fun activities for everyone from water sports to golf and tennis, to excursions outside of the resort grounds. We truly appreciate your feedback. If you have any other concerns please feel free to e-mail us at info@grandlucayan.com

- Grand Lucayan

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The location of the Grand Lucayan cant be beat, the views are breathtaking and the beach and grounds are well manicured and beautiful, however the staff is extremely rude and it seemed as though everyone had an attitude when you asked a simple question. There was no level of customer service and unfortunately it tainted my feelings toward the hotel. The location of the hotel is a plus and there are many things you can walk to.

The most enjoyable time on the island was off the grounds of the hotel exploring the island and eating at the local restaurants.

Had the staff been more accommodating and nicer I believe my opinion of the hotel would be different, as I will give credit where credit is due and the beach and views are breathtaking.

Room Tip: high floor and ocean views are to die for
5  Thank Daisybeee

Hello Daisybeee,

First off, thank you for writing us a review. We really appreciate the feedback to improve our resort. From how you described our customer service, I am truly sorry that is how you felt. We strive to make everyones stay enjoyable. We are happy to read you loved our gorgeous grounds and had a great time exploring the island. Thank you again.

- Grand Lucayan

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The Grand Lucayan hotel and resort village is a great family place to visit. This will be our third visit to the and each time there is more to account for. The property has several buildings, including the townhouses one of which was the Meyer Lansky townhouse. There are several pools around the property, along with several restaurants, including Irie, Churchills, China Beach and Willy Broadleaf. We had one meal on property and returned to Port Lucaya and the restaurants there for our other meals. Remember this is the Bahamas, and they add the 15% gratuity to all checks. The newest addition is the Havana Cay cigar bar which is quaint and comfortable. We stayed at Breakers Cay on the 9th floor with a marina view. The room is adequate with a balcony. Bathroom is one sink with a shower having two shower heads. Television has varied cable stations, including HBO and Showtime. Best of all, it has a coffee machine in the room for a nice rise in the morning before breakfast. The staff is friendly, especially Jacqueline at the registration desk. She was courteous, knowledgeable and friendly to myself and others. Prior to my arrival I made contact regarding room accommodations and dinner plans, each of which was confirmed and delivered upon my arrival prior to check-in time, a definite plus. Once again, my overall experience with Grand Lucayan is pleasant and relaxing, its not a place for lots of excitement, but a place to unwind.

Room Tip: Marina rooms overlook Port Lucaya and a good view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julietp37

Hi Julietp3,

Thanks for sharing with us your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to have you back at the resort and pleased to hear you had a lovely time relaxing. Thank you for your kind words about Jacqueline, she is so great! We hope to see you back here soon!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is a great resort, but it's not some fancy-pants escape from reality. If you have a kid and want to hang out by the pool or ocean all day, it's fantastic. If you're on your honeymoon and want some quiet time to reflect on your future life together, PASS on this one.

Rooms are regularly $359 a night but we managed to get a deal through Hotels.com for $159/night and $69 for the first night.

Liked:

- The view from the 10th floor was incredible. Watching the sunrise every morning was a highlight of our trip
- Restaurants. The quality of the hotel food was great. A little on the pricier side, but good, especially Churchill's downstairs. Jazz standards by Shelly and Gene were fantastic.
- WiFi coverage is good, even down to the pool and in the hotel restaurants.
- Hot stone massage at the spa was a wonderful experience.

Did not like:

- Elevator Noise! To negotiate our 10th floor view, I had to accept a room near an elevator. The sound echoes like crazy and I had to listen to drunkards getting on and off the elevator, even congregating around it at 11pm.
- Balcony Noise! Your neighbors can make or break your stay. The first few nights put us near a group of students that were just getting caught on their balcony and my god I could hear every word of their conversation with my door closed. I turned on music in my room and I could still hear them carrying on. If they're smokers, your room will smell like cigarettes too.
- I could do without the full marching band that runs through the place at 6pm every single night.
- There needs to be poolside/beachside service. Getting up, walking to to the bar, waiting 5-10 minutes for a drink and walking back kind of sucks.
- I could really do without the peddlers in blue shirts trying to sell me a tour, banana boat ride, snorkeling trip, parasailing, "blue light specials" on t-shirts, hair braiding, sea shell jewelry and the like. it's inappropriate to rouse me as my eyes are closing for a nap in the Caribbean sun, just to try to sell me a t-shirt. Get rid of the peddlers!

Overall it's a great place to stay and there is plenty to do just within the resort itself, let alone the shops and tours across the street. Don't expect a tranquil paradise, but it's a great bargain for sure.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the elevator. Definitely get a top room ocean view floor. Neighbors will make or break your stay, so don't be afraid to get up and change rooms if you get bad vibes. You'll regret it later if you don't.
1  Thank Melvin J

Hello Melvin,

Thank so much for rating us on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you liked Churchill's Restaurant and your view from the room. The sunrise is like no other! Sounds like you had a relaxing time receiving the hot stone massage at the spa! I'm sorry you had noisy neighbors and that you didn't like the Junkanoo Band. Many of our guest enjoy the authentic music. We appreciate your feedback.