“Pricey hotel if you don’t intend to use the amenities.”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I am a business traveler and don’t have time to use the amenities such as the tennis courts, pool, gym, or beach.

I actually wanted to use the hot tub after a long day working on my feet. However the hot tub was out of service for the three days I was there. I was not happy about this. If the hot tub was working, I would have giving the resort an excellent rating.

The wait to check in was too long. There was only one person at the front desk. There should have been at least two people working there.

The food at the breakfast buffet was great. Location is awesome. The rooms was spacious and super clean.

Added to my bill when I checked out were the following: Government tax of 5%, Tourism Levy of 9%, Energy surcharge of 10%, Resort fee of 9%, Service charge of 8%. These charges added quite a bit to the cost of the room.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
11  Thank xx7xx
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Hi xx7xx,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor. We sincerely appreciate the feedback.

I’m very glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the location, it's almost impossible to take a bad picture. :0) I'm also happy to hear that the breakfast buffet did not disappoint.

Please accept my sincere apologize that the hot tub was out of service during your visit.

Also, I'm sorry if any of the taxes and fees were unclear upon booking. Guests who book through our website will see all of the taxes and fees up front. Guests who book through 3rd party sits have the option to pay taxes and fees at the hotel and so, often times, are not exposed to the pricing.

We appreciate you staying with us during your business trip, and hope to welcome you back for either business or pleasure.

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel is right on the beach which is a secure beach for hotel guests only for your protection. The most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Upgrade to the all inclusive breakfast it is def worth it. Food is amazing and they prepare it right in front of you!! When you go for breakfast ask for Lilly to serve you she is upbeat, warm, and def made our experience every time we ate there! Best server on the island. The hotel location is great right on the beach well taken care of and right across from the port lucayan market place. Def do the banana boat ride ask for Jamal it's a fun inexpensive way to see the island. As far as restaurants Do NOT go to Iries it's located at the hotel. Awful food awful service. We ate at Sabors 3 times best food on the island. The shark dives with Unexso were a great experience if your a diver we highly recommend that. Relax in the Infiniti pool!!

• Stayed: October 2013
5  Thank Skurzen

Hi Skurzen,

Thanks so much for the kind words!

So glad you enjoyed the all inclusive breakfast! :-) We will certainly let Lilly know how much you enjoyed her!

I’m very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Iries. For that, I do apologize. I will certainly look into this further.

Thanks for leaving such a detailed review. I’m sure other guests will find this useful.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Had a great 2 day visit. The rooms were very clean, staff was great. Location makes it top notch right on the beach and next to the market. When I go again will stay here. Only down side is check in wait if your coming in on the cruise. You will have to wait to get your room.

2  Thank Mike P
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the moment to share this review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your kind words.

I’m so happy you had a great experience at our resort, and enjoyed our staff as much as our great location.

I’m so sorry the check-in time took longer than you had expected. We’ll get it right next time. :)

Your friends at The Grand Lucayan

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Scored a 3-night Bahamas package with CheapCaribbean.Com that included a stay in the Grand Lucayan.
Was a magic location right on the water's edge with huge pools, great beaches and swim-up pool bar.
Rooms were excellent although would have preferred 1 x Queen bed rather than 2 x Doubles. Restaurants are very nice and food quality was good, especially full breakfasts with Ommlete station, yummo!
Manager had a 'thank you' cocktail party on lawn one night which was a nice touch.
Staff were all really pleasant and very nicely presented.
Some areas of the resort were under renovation but that didn't seem to bother anyone.
The Bahamas offers great value for money and I'd certainly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Try for Ocean View if available, the sunrises are incredible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mark S
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Hi Mark,

Thank you for sharing this great review on Trip Advisor. As always, we value your input.

I’m so glad you enjoyed hanging out on our beautiful beaches and got to take advantage of our awesome swim-up pool bar.

I’m happy you were pleased with the appearance and overall upkeep of your room. I am very sorry that you didn’t receive the bed size you preferred. Next time, we will be sure to get it right. :0)

Thank you for you feedback. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Your friends at Grand Lucayan

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Slow, rude staff and service, plus they treat you like you are a criminal. Ice machine broken, bathtub clogged and their were using toxic paints in rooms across the hall. My toilet was unclogged but not cleaned and the place in general is dirty. You couldn't pay me to go back here. After two days of fighting with the staff on many subjects we moved to Pelican Bay. It is a great place that knows how to treat guest. The difference was like night and day. The Pelican has a nice grounds with three pools and wonderful staff members and a great restaurant/bar with reasonable prices. They don't make you wear an armband like the Grand Lucayan does, nor do the treat you rudely. If I was going to the Grand Bahamas again I would go anywhere BUT the Grand Lucayan.

8  Thank Douglas P

Hi Douglas,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor, we certainly appreciate your feedback.

I’m very sorry to hear that we were unable to provide a positive experience for you during your stay. I assure you, the items you listed in your review are quite out of the ordinary. Many guests of the resort rave about our staff and about the beauty and general upkeep of the hotel, so if we did not deliver in any of these areas, please accept our sincerest apologies.

We would be more than grateful to explore this matter further. If you are interested, feel free to contact our guest services at info@grandlucayan.com.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Grand Lucayan Management

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Beautiful and relaxing, just across the street from the Lucayan Market, which is the place to be on the island. Casino is next door so coming back to the resort after dinner at Zorrba's or Agave or any other of the great restaurants in the market, making a quick stop to get your "fix" in is just a stroll away... The beach here is as you would expect, clear warm water with light to no waves... Pool swim up bar in the infinity pool is the alternative to the beach with the same view... Rooms in the resort are as with all Caribbean hotels, nothing spectacular but really how much time do you spend in the room, shower, sleep and se&... We only ate breakfast on the resort, and it was great, fruit bar, waffle/pancake bar, or omelette bar, but there are other offerings for all meals, we had a car so went to the market for snacks and beverages and to the market for dinners...

Room Tip: Make sure you get the Ocean View for the nightly show along the walkway at 6pm and the fabulous sunr...
2  Thank Kevin H

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for taking the moment to share this great review on Trip Advisor.

I’m glad you didn’t feel cooped up in your room, and were able to make the most of your trip by exploring the Lucayan Marketplace and casino. Good idea on renting the car. That's a great way to see the whole island. :0)

We’re happy to hear you enjoyed our breakfast selection, and kicked off each day with something yummy, and different.

We hope you’re able to visit us again in the future, and, perhaps, try something different--like kayaking or swimming with dolphins. :)

Your friends at The Grand Lucayan

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Very friendly staff, always eager to help. cool beach and some nice pools! excellent food at the Restaurants and Bars but it is nevertheless rather expensive!! I would come back as it is like Paradise here!!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Gunther,

Thank you for the taking the time to write and share this review on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate the feedback.

I’m glad you enjoyed the relaxing beach and the different pools located around the resort. Hopefully you enjoyed a drink or two poolside at the swim-up bar. :0)

We're happy to hear the that food, overall, was excellent. Sorry if the pricing was not in line with your budget.

We hope to see you again in paradise real soon.

Grand Lucayan Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#1 of 1 in West End
Island Seas Resort
Island Seas Resort
#12 of 14 in Freeport

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!