“Fantastic long weekend getaway”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Prior to my trip, I read lots of reviews of this resort. I'm happy to report that I thought the facilities were great! The room was spacious and the bed comfortable. The bathroom could use some help in some minor cosmetic areas (like a retouch on paint, etc.) but it wasn't anything that was unclean or caused any issues for my stay. The staff with whom I interacted were all very pleasant. The housekeeping ladies were so sweet! The swim up bar was great and the bartenders amusing (as bartenders should be).

I've traveled in the Bahamas before and people tend to complain that the food is expensive, but it was about what I expected. The breakfast buffet on property was a good value with a lot of options. I enjoyed going to the marketplace restaurants for dinner just to have a change of scenery as I spent most of the day on the resort property.

I'd definitely return to this property!

Room Tip: If you are looking to see the beautiful sunrises, choose a beach front room!
1  Thank Melinda W
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience, and for your detailed and thoughtful review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback, and think other guests will find your review helpful.

I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and spent most of your time just having fun on the resort.

We look forward to your return. :)

Your friends at The Grand Lucayan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,023)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was my first trip to the Bahamas and this resort was lovely. I had lowered my expectations because we purchased our room through groupon, and those can be hit or miss. However, our room was big and breezy, and had a really nice view of the marina. But the best part about the resort (in my opinion) is the way they lay out the property. Each section of the hotel has its own unique combination of pools and jacuzzis that are spread out in such a way that the pools seem as if they are about to spill directly into the ocean. I'm a swimmer, so I definitely spent an entire day of our vacation doing the "pool-hot tub-ocean-repeat" dance. If you want straight up no fuss traditional Bahamian cuisine, try Billie Joe's on the Beach (get the cracked conch. It is delicious.)

You're also walking distance to the Port Lucaya marketplace, and Count Bassie square, where there are always musicians and dancing late into the night. You're also an easy walk to the Unexsco diving center, where you can swim with wild dolphins, sharks, whatever tickles your fancy. Staying here almost completely eliminates the need for public transport/taxis because everything you need is so accessible on foot.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JLags
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Hello JLags,

Thanks so much for all the lovely words. We sincerely appreciate the wonderful feedback! So glad we restored your faith in Groupon! :0)

Hope to see you again soon,

Your friends at Grand Lucayan!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Lucayan Oct. 3 and 4th. The Hotel site is very nice, grounds are well kept, beach is gorgeous and pool is nice. The check-in was ok and they were nice enough to give us a room that was ready (early check-in). Our room had a beautiful view of the marina.

We were disappointed with the room because there was a cigarette odor that was present, batteries in the safe needed to be replaced, the toiletries were missing and whatever was there was half empty, the tissue box was practically empty, no hair dryer and the bathroom really looked beat up. Even though we did address these issues, nobody seemed to care. We had the feeling that the Hotel was having... cash flow issues.

We needed a late check out because our flight was at 5:30PM and they charged us the $35 late check out even with all the previous issues we had.

The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were way too soft. Food was ok, nice brunch, friendly staff (Willy Broadleaft).

People complaining about extra or hidden fees should read properly. It was very clear to us, before booking, that there were additional charges. No surprise there.

We filled out the online survey from the Hotel, hoping somebody would contact us... but in vain. Would we go back? I think at this point, without having been contacted by the Hotel management, we would try another Hotel.

Room Tip: Marina view is probably the best choice because you can't see anything at night (ocean view).
2  Thank Luc427

Hello Luc427,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I'm very sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than exceptional. We pride ourselves on excellent guest services, and I am very sorry to hear if we were lacking in this area during your visit. It sounds to me like you had very valid concerns and if you would like to discuss this further with our guest services, please email us at: info@grandlucayan.com.

Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.

Grand Lucayan Management

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was our first trip to the Bahamas. Had sometimes communication issues because they've a funny accent down there. Flight from Nassau into Freeport was also funny, I tried to be clever and reserved seats 1E and 1F, it was like riding a city bus (those two seats are backwards facing the other passenger). It just doesn't feel right ;-) The cab ride from the airport to the hotel was 22 USD. The hotel itself it quite nice. Our room was spacious with decent furniture and most important it was clean. The higher stories must have a fantastic view as well but unfortunately I'm not doing well with heights. The various pools are well maintained and the beach is great as well. It was a very relaxing week but I'm sure during high season this would be too crowded for me. They play local music around the pools, one tape all day and all night long. That became kind of annoying after three days. With the "marina area" right across the street there are probably close to 15 restaurants to chose from. We found some closed (probably because of the off-season) and the other restaurants were mostly average I would say. With the Greek place called Zorbas barely average and an Italian place called Cappuccino with very decent food.
There were actually a lot of business visitor from companies holding some I guess annual corporate meetings. Kind of weird when the elevator door opens and you've a bunch of guys in business casual while you have t-shirts, shorts and sandals on your way to the pool. But I consider that more as their problem, not mine.
Overall, a very good trip in a nice hotel with very pleasant staff. But as I said, during high season that is probably turning into a very busy place.

2  Thank ag323

Hello ag323,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor and for your detailed review. I'm sure guests will find this review useful. You're right about those in business attire. That is certainly not the way to experience the Bahamas. Should be swimsuits only. :0)

Thanks for all the lovely words. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at Grand Lucayan when we visited the Freeport.

Great hotel, super friendly people. They make you feel at home and you don't hear "No" from any of the people who work there. Top notch place.

ONLY PROBLEM NO GLUTEN-FREE OPTIONS : If you are trying to eat healthy(ish) you are out of luck. My wife is gluten-free and it was really hard -nearly impossible- to find food she could have.
It turns out locals don't grow any vegetables on the island so most of the food selection was tough, BUT hear me out. The hotel has 4-5 great restaurants on site. So last 2 days I think we pig out at the all you can eat buffet breakfast.(Off the hook selection. Pretty much anything/everything you can imagine was available.) and ate at Zorba's

We traveled there 2012 But TA didn't allow me to select that time line.

Room Tip: Huge difference between Beach side vs Island side. We stayed on Island side and it was OK. We didn...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello turk704,

Thanks for the lovely review. Wow, you stayed in November of 2012? I'm so glad you were inspired to write this review after all this time. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and the recommendations. I'm sure future guests will find your review helpful.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at the hotel from the 28th September to 12th October and can honestly say that apart from the housekeeping lady who cleaned our room and the spa staff, the service here is poor. All front of house staff treated us as an inconvenience and irritation rather than paying guests. This may have been due to he fact that it was off peak season but that is not an excuse. We paid a lot of money to stay there. If you are looking for a good, friendly hotel with great service then look elsewhere. Above and beyond is definitely not in their dictionary. Other than that, the pools and beach were awesome. This hotel has such potential as the grounds with which it is in is impressive. My wife had a lovely massage from one of the spa ladies which was great. I feel as though the future of this hotel and the happiness of its guests are resting on just a FEW caring, truly hospitable staff. This surely is not the way to run a hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jason W

Hello Jason W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. We sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us. First of all, I just want to apologize if you were met with anything less than exceptional service from our staff. We pride ourselves on offering a very friendly bahamian experience and many of guests come to know our staff by first name. I'm very sorry if this was not the case in your experience. If you would like to discuss your stay with us in greater detail, please do not hesitate to contact guest services at info@grandlucayan.com. Once again, thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

One correction for this review is that my wife and I went on June 2012. It was part of cruise package we bought back over a year ago that came with the a trip on the Bahama Celebration.
The cruise was not worth it at all. The cruise workers were nice but it was very expensive with some very unclean conditions. The Grand Lucayan was by far the best experience. If you happen to have similar package I would completely skip leaving the Hotel at all unless it was to go to the Flying Fish Restaurant located right outside near the Pelican Bay Resort. The Freeport village is dirty and has really very little to offer in the way of food and souvenirs.
We over complicated out honeymoon when the best part was the swim up bar. The drinks were moderately priced but were very decent pours. You can have a lot of fun walking around enjoying the sites on the resort, the spa was beautiful, and the restaurants were mostly open. I would have liked to have gotten a better understanding of which restaurants were open during what times. We didn't really go to the casino but it looked pretty average. The rooms were old and gave off a very old feeling and lacked on any kind of video or game options. Overall, a great resort and great stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to get the ocean side rooms. If you don't specific they will give you a inland view and...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Artistjt

Hello Artistjt,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I do apologize that you did not enjoy the cruise overall. Although Bahama celebration sells cruises to Grand Lucayan, they are a separate company, but we will certainly look into this further, and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

We are so glad that the best part of your vacation was your stay at the Grand Lucayan. That means a lot to us. We very much hope that your honeymoon was a memorable time spent together, and we thank you for sharing it with us.

We hope to see you again soon,

Your friends at Grand Lucayan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!