OVERVIEW: Nice large resort, with average food, friendly staff.
I won a package that included a 2 day cruise on the Bahamas celebration to Freeport and 2 nights at the Grand Lucaya. I arrived via shuttle bus along with 40 other passengers from the same cruise that was also staying at the resort. The check-in process was smooth and the staff very friendly. Wherever we went people greeted us with a friendly smile. The hotel seems to be the biggest and best hotel on the island from what I could tell. The property is well maintained and the rooms large and clean.
The beach looks nice but the water was rough and cold when I was there. There are about 4 pools but the water was cold but I was so determined to get a swim I dived in and did a polar bear swim fooling a few guests into thinking it was tolerable. When I finally emerged from the pool a few guests asked how I was able to tolerate being in the pool that long.
They have this really cool life size chess game that you can play. They try to have activities but it was often cancelled due to inadequate guest participation. Perhaps in February the have lower occupancy. There is a decent size gym with well maintained equipment where classes such as spin, zumba, yoga and aerobics are offered. The spa is located in the same building as the gym. The gym is also used by locals.
The hotel food is not worth the price. There are so many fabulous restaurants across the street at the Port Lucaya Marketplace. There is also a great seafood restaurant shack along the beach Billy Joe's on the beach.
TIP: Great way to get a free sunday island drive/tour is call a house of worship for a ride to their worship center. Choose one that is far from the hotel. They usually have other worshippers to pick up. So you can get a drive around the island and the people are so friendly on the island they don't mind pointing out all the unique things on the island. It's also a way to get a real island experience and close interactions with the locals rather than touristy places.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan is an elegant, serene AAA four-diamond resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. As part of Grand Lucayan Bahamas Beach & Golf Resort, this 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a Resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Radisson Freeport
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island