“Beware the off-season.”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I would never have suspected foul play until I read the other recent reviews. We got here around 5pm and the power was out. It remained out until around 9ish, I think. What's the big deal? This means NO BAR OR RESTAURANT SERVICE! Imagine being on a beautiful resort with no food or BEVERAGE. So what's the foul play? I now believe this is an intentional power outage to save money in the off season. Also, the market place is conveniently located across the street, but almost all restaurants were closed for the off season. It was a ghost town. Seriously. Creepy empty.

Otherwise, the resort property is beautiful and clean. Be sure to get a room on the ocean side, though. I had a view of rooftops.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank fabeebabee
Mary P, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Hello fabeebabee,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. I just wanted to apologize for the sudden power outage you experienced. Unfortunately, this was the result of an island wide power outage and regrettably it was outside of our control. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you very kindly for your patience, as I know such a thing can be frustrating. Because of the power outage, I know that our restaurants were also unavailable. Again, I offer my sincere apologies. Our restaurants and bars are a pivotal part of our resort offerings and mean everything as far as guest experience, so I completely understand your frustration.

If you have any further questions or concerns or if we can assist you in any other way, please feel free to contact Marsha at guest services at info@grandlucayan.com. Once again, thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.

GL Management

There are newer reviews for Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was my second time to have Freeport as a stop on a cruise. The first time I didn't do any research, didn't book an excursion and was really disappointed with the stop overall.

However, the second time around it was my favorite port on the cruise. Based on Trip Advisor recommendations we purchased a day pass for $15 to Grand Lucayan. While you have access to the pool and the beach, with very few visitors, water activities are adjacent to the beach. We were able to go parasailing, lay on the beach, swim at the pool and use the free wifi from the restaurants. As well, the shops at Port Lucaya are just across the street.

You can take a taxi from the port to the resort from $10 round trip

You do need to bring your own towel from the ship.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Jaime T
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Hello eikonfoto!

Thank you for taking time out to write this flowing review for us. We really appreciate it!

We're very happy you decided to make the most of your stop this go around and spend some time with us. And even happier that you consider us the favorite port of your cruise!

We hope that you'll come back very soon.

Have a great day!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Michael and I got married at The Grand Lucayan on November 10th, 2012. It was a beautiful day, but the best part was the service we got before and after the wedding. They have very helpful wedding planners and coordinators that will make sure your day goes as planned. We both live on the island so we didn't take advantage of all of their vendors. The food and service was good, the only issue we had was after cake cutting, we had to go get our own plates and cutlery because all the servers had left. The bar was well stocked and well attended. The bar tender was a hoot and made our evening. Overall we are both very happy with our decision to get married here and with a guest list of 130, they had more than enough room to accommodate us. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone!

Room Tip: The Ocean View Suites are worth every penny!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kristijay99

Hi Kristijay99!

What an incredible review! Thank you so much for writing it and thank you even more for choosing to host the greatest day of your life with us!

We are delighted that we were able to make this momentous occasion special for you, your groom and your guests. Hearing that pre and post stay services were excellent is such great news!

We hope that you decide to spend your 1 year anniversary weekend with us! :)

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I had a horrible experience here. The staff was great but everything else is a no bueno. The power was out for 2 days, so therefore we were forced to take cold showers and walk up 6 flights of stairs to get to our room. In addition to cold showers, we were charged a ridiculous amount of hidden surcharges. I.e. energy surcharge, but there was no freaking energy. After speaking with the manager we had to beg like james brown to adjust the bill because we were extremely dis-satisfied. He adjusted $50.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Rated_rem

Hello Rated_rem,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. We sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies about the island wide power outage that you experienced during your recent visit. This was an unfortunate event, and I hope you understand that it was very much outside of our control. I completely understand your frustration in regards to having to walk up the stairs and having to take cold showers, and I want to thank you for your patience.

I am, however, very pleased to hear that our great staff was still able to make an impression, despite the challenges. Many of our guests return again and again for this very reason.

If there is anything we can do for you, please don't hesitate to contact Marsha at guest services at info@grandlucayan.com and she will be more than happy to assist you in any way she can.
Once again, thank you very much for your patience and understanding.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Many things I didn't like, the staff are not as friendly and seem to get annoyed at Americans. The room has no microwave and when I called the front desk to get my bag of microwave popcorn popped, they told me it would be $5 room service charge. Eating on the resort is very expensive ($18-30) dish. Alcohol drinks are between $6-9 each. (you can charge many things to your room, keep receipts!)They will add a 15% gratutiy to everything. (Which is bad for them, because we usually tip a lot more than that!) Soda pop $3.50 each. Bags of chips $5. You wear a armband the whole time your there. I did see security escort 3 men who did not have permission to be there. The Bahamians know who is suppose to be there and not, so that is one good part. People from cruises spend one day here, you can buy a one day pass to be on resort which I didn't like. I would like to see a gated community. You can walk across street to many shops and people selling items much cheaper than the resort. There are plenty of places to eat across the street also, but, still expensive. Never seen a manager on site, poor service! As other posts have said, seem to nickel and dime you, true! The beach is nice and laying at pool is nice. Bring lots of money, you will need it.

Room Tip: Ocean View is nice, get on 4th floor or higher.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mrsbgifford
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear mrsbgifford,
Thank you for rating us on TripAdvisor. We rely on guest feedback such as yours to help us improve our services and properly advise our staff on how they are doing. Our standard at Grand Lucayan is to provide our guests with top-notch customer service and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. Our pricing is in line with similar properties in the area, we offer good value for our location and extensive facilities. In reference to security, the wristband is a way to identify hotel guests and must be worn at all times and ensuring the security of all guests. Your feedback will be forwarded on to our upper management. We apologize that your recent stay with us was not satisfactory. We hope that you will give us the chance to welcome you back and provide you with the exceptional service we are known for.

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

It is unimaginable to me that anyone gives this resort anything better than an average rating. You will literally wait 7 hours to check in, even with the resort at 25% capacity. Service is nonexistent. The staff will ruin your stay. There is zero urgency and they couldn't care less because they're gonna get theirs. If your keys all of the sudden stop working, plan on waiting in the lobby, in your swimsuit for 20 minutes, while Inga talks on the phone with you standing directly in front of her. I will never return anywhere in the Bahamas, their people have completely ruined the island. They have no concept of service and they couldn't care less. Do your research and stay away from any island in the Caribbean that forces you to pay 15% gratuity on everything. There is no incentive to serve. Good luck with your horrible policies and ridiculous practices. Don't be lured in by the beautiful beaches because if you're like me, bad service will certainly trump all else.

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank GetChucked

Good day GetChucked,
Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your recent stay at Grand Lucayan. We apologize that your stay with us was not satisfactory. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We would like to reassure you that this does not represent the level of service we are known for at the Grand Lucayan Beach & Golf Resort. Please email us at info@grandlucayan.com so that we may look into the matter further with our Front Office Director.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at Grand Lucayan and it is fabulous!!! We loved everything about the place, especially the beach and view from our balcony!
Our room was spacious and comfortable, housekeeping did a great job!

We also loved the proximity to the Market Place where we spent a lot of time and got to know the warm friendly folks there!!

Very disappointed with the front desk staff on checking in but checking out was smooth and a pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Peterlinda2013

Hi PeterLinda2013,

Thank you so much for writing this amazing review for us!

We love that you love our beaches. That's one of our favorite things, too! We certainly apologize for that blip during check in but are delighted that we were able to smooth everything over during your stay and upon check out.

Hope you guys come back, soon! Have an incredible day! xo

Your Friends at Lucayan.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!