“Great Place...beautiful resort!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
“Great Place...beautiful resort!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the grand lucayan breakers cay for 3 nights. It was beautiful. The check in process was very slow......it rained most of the time but it was still a beautiful view. We were on the 7th floor. The roms weren't 5 star but they were nice and comfy. I enjoyed myself. Would Like to return.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Trishking0317
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hi Trishking0317,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our resort. We're sorry you experienced some rain during your stay with us, but we're happy to hear you had a great experience with us despite it. We hope you come visit us again soon!

Your friends at Grand Lucayan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I just came back from the hotel and we (3 kids incl, 12/4/7) all had a blast. We arrived Friday at 1pm and had no problem getting a room assigned right away - no delay at all. We stayed in a Marine Front room, 9th floor. The room was very clean, no humidity usually associated to beach resorts. The staff was efficient, fast and accommodating from start to finish. The pool was clean and, although one of the pool was warmer than the rest - presumably on purpose - they were all in excellent state. Didn't partake in any of the extra activities but I thought they were fairly priced.

I would absolutely recommend the hotel to families and will return for sure!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Edgardo C
Hi Edgardo,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this kind review! We're so glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay at our resort and especially enjoyed your room, the pools, and our friendly staff. We strive not only to meet each guest's expectations but to exceed them, as well. We hope you come visit us again soon!

Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had a great time at Grand Lucayan Hotel. We were there two days and two nights. It rained the first day, but the second was beautiful. The hotel was a nice surprise because it was so nice inside! The outside looks a little older, but the rooms were updated and new looking. We had a view of the ocean which was a great thing to wake up to, and sit out on the deck at night and watch the sun go down. The people were extremely helpful and nice. We unloaded from a boat, so lots of people all at once, bt they processed us through very quickly so we could get to the beach. One nice feature is the marketplace across the street. It had 14 restaurants and many shops to buy whatever you might want. I would recommend the Zorba greek restaurant and the Dive-In, both were reasonable and very good. I would defintiely visit this hotel again.
If there was a drawback, it would be the pool was only 4 feet deep.

Room Tip: Ocean View was wonderful
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janet69R
Hi Janet69R,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor! We're so happy to hear you had a great time at the Grand Lucayan and enjoyed your ocean view, our attentive staff, and the resort ground. Glad the weather was able to turn around during your stay :) We hope you come see us again soon!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just got back with the family, (wife and 12 yr. old son and 10 yr. old daughter), from a 3 night stay at the Grand Lucayan Resort in Freeport, Grand Bahamas.

The Grand Lucayan Resort, (GLR), is a gorgeous hotel. The buildings and surrounding landscaping are extremely well maintained. The front of the hotel is at the end of a cul-de-sac, which means almost no traffic and virtually no noise! Of course, the back of the hotel has a white sandy beach that appears to be 50 yards wide from the steps of the pool to the shoreline. The ocean is as beautiful as you've seen in the pictures in magazines. From time to time, local vendors will pass by on the beach selling conch shells, locally made bracelets and necklaces or will offer to braid your hair in thin tight braids with colorful beads. These vendors are not aggressive and move on if you are not interested, but check out the bracelets and necklaces, they make great souvenirs!

The resort is up-scale so it does not have water slides for kids or "beer bong" parties for 20 somethings, but the resort does go out of its way to host pool-side bingo, hoola-hoop and limbo contests for the kids (and for those adults that are young at heart). The pool is very large and snakes it way around the outdoor area. The hotel also has access to vendors offering "banana boat" rides and other activities and excursions, so check with the front desk. A tiki bar and an outdoor restaurant are right next to the pool.

We stayed in a "Marina view" room with two double beds. You can pay more for an "Ocean view", but we had no intention of staying in the room but just to sleep, so the view didn't matter. The beds were very comfortable and the room has a coffee maker, safe, refrigerator, iron and board, large flat screen T.V.and free WiFi. The room was large so there was no problem with the four of us moving around.

From breakfast through dinner, expect high quality food from the GLR! (Also, expect slighlty higher prices, but to be fair, I feel as if I got what I paid for...how refreshing!!!). There is a large outdoor shopping area, (almost a "mall"), a very short walk across the street that has clothing, jewelry, restaurants (including Domino's, Pizza Hut and Subway), bars, convenience and souvenir stores. The food at these restaurants is very good as well!! The shops are all painted in traditional bright island colors and offer fair prices for products and services. We spent alot of time there when we were not in the GLR's fabulous pool, hot tub or beach. My family and I felt very safe and secure walking throughout this area, even during the late night hours. There is a casino within walking distance from the GLR. (I didn't go into it myself, but some of our friends did, so when they came out broke, I figured it was a casino! Ha!)

Observations: 1) Food at the GLR, or at the restaurants across the street, is not served as quickly as your favorite fast food restaurant.. because, I believe, it's made to order, (you will appreciate that!!). So allow an extra 10-15 minutes for your meal to arrive at your table; 2) American dollars and the Bahamian currency are equal at "face value". You will want to spend the Bahamian currency that you receive as change as 'tip" money or for small purchases so you don't bring it home and pay conversion charges to convert that money back to American dollars; 3) Taxis can be expensive, be a strong negotiator or use the public bus system ($1.25 one-way) or ask the concierge about any pre-arrangements they have with local transportation companies. To be honest, on a 3 night / 4 day trip you probably will not want to leave the area so transportation will not be an issue.

Please remember, we went during the summer months which is not the Bahamas' tourist season, so rates were very favorable. But for a summer vacation, we had a great time!

(P.S. I am 54 years old and I was born and raised in Miami, Florida. This was my first trip to the Bahamas which is only about 100 miles offshore from Miami. Please don't ask why I waited so long!!).

I apologize for the long review! I hope it helps!

Room Tip: In most cases, you sleep in your room only. So go cheap, get on the beach, or in the pool, or at the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank rumrunner58
Hi Rumrunner58,
Wow thank you so much for taking the time to write this kind review! We're so happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and especially enjoyed your spacious room, the white sandy beach, and our many dining options. We strive not only to meet each guest's expectations but to exceed them, as well. Thank you for the detailed review - we're sure it'll serve as a great reference for future guests! We hope you and your family come back again soon :)

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

My family spent 9 days at the hotel. It was my hub and Me, and our daughters -ages 4&6. We had an Oceanfront 1BR (with separate sitting area and kitchenette). The view was amazing. The kitchenette consists of a microwave, mini fridge and a sink. They provide dishes and silverware. We had a delishous breakfast buffet each morning at Willy Broadleafs that never got old. The food from China Beach was pretty good too. The kids camp is just a room with a few toys.
I would recommend this Hotel for sure.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Townley B
Hello Townley B,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor! We're so happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and especially enjoyed the beautiful hotel room view and our various dining options. We hope you come visit us again soon!

Davis, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have read many reviews on Tripadvisor, but this is the first time I have written one. On July 28 and 29 I stayed at the Grand Lucayan on a cruise and stay package with Celebration Cruise line. I was a little concerned because a lot of comments said the staff was rude because they had no reason to be nice because tips are automatically included with your bill. I was pleasantly surprised, everyone on staff was very helpful and nice. Ronetta was especially nice; I had contacted the resort before our staff to ask for an upper floor since there were 2 women and 2 pre-teen girls traveling. When I arrived at the resort we found ourselves not only on an upper floor but on the 8th floor with an ocean view. I made time to find Ronetta and personally thank her - who was super friendly and very professional.
Some people may think servers at restaurants or bell people are rude but they are not, they are busy and if you ask for something they assist you immediately. You will have to ask for the bill at a restaurant, they want you to enjoy your meal and they think if they ask you if you are done and would like the bill - they think they are rushing you. I will definately be going back to Grand Bahama Island and Grand Lucayan. It is a short trip from Florida - the Celebration Cruise was a good way to get there - you can stay 2 or 4 nights. Or if you want to fly, it is a quick hop from Ft. Lauderdale.

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean view - it is so worth it
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LisaJT33
Mary P, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello LisaJT33,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and for addressing a very common concern among travelers to the Bahamas and to many caribbean countries. We try very hard to distinguish ourselves by our customer service. This a great priority for us. And I'm so thrilled to hear that you experienced the service that we strive so hard to provide. I cannot wait to share you review with our hard working staff.

Your Friends at the Grand Lucayan!
Fernandina Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

When we first arrived on the island we were afraid that the resort was going to be a horrible experience. Our fears were put to rest the instance we walked in the front door. The resort staff was great. Very easy people to get along with. Even though it rained the majority of our trip the staff made sure there was plenty of things to do.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello wingatewe,

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. May I ask why you came into the hotel with such extreme reservations? I can't tell you how very pleased I am that we so vastly exceeded your expectations. Our guests choose the Grand Lucayan because they want to escape the daily stresses of life and come to a quiet, beautiful resort destination, and we strive to ensure that they find the relaxation they are seeking, without interruption, and I'm so pleased that we were able to provide this experience for you. I'm very sorry that it rained during your stay. I know that can be frustrating if you are seeking some time in the sun, but I am very thrilled to hear that despite the rain, you enjoyed yourself.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review. We hope to see you again in the future.

Your Friends at Grand Lucayan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,211 reviews
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!