“Beautiful Resort and Location....Not All Inclusive Deal As Sold”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The Grand Lucayan Resort is a beautiful place for a reasonably priced vacation in the Bahamas. The room was lovely, spacious, well-kept, and clean. We had a beautiful view of the town and village roofs. The pools were beautiful and pristine. We went swimming the first night. My granddaughter and I felt very safe in the well-lit pools and walkways. Security seemed close at hand. Each building has their own security personnel. The next day we went to the beach. The white sand and transparent pale turquoise water is gorgeous. There was a huge trampoline-like venue that was about 100 yards from the shore. Great fun for just about all ages!

We went on an afternoon Sailing and Snorkeling trip. The staff was outstanding. Walking with a cane, I have limited walking and climbing ability. The staff on the catamaran were extremely attentive to my needs. I wasn't sure they would want me to get into the water for the snorkeling, but I was determined! Since they had previously encountered my limited ability problems, they were prepared with a great solution. An extremely helpful staff member by the name of Karon tethered himself to me by way of a floatation device. This allowed me to snorkel "on my own" while he dived for small treasures to show me, including a baby starfish that he located under a large stone. I felt completely safe in the water with Karon, who by-the-way, is a very friendly and fun young man. When we got back into the boat, we had Bahama Mamas and lemonade or water waiting for us. I would highly recommend the sailing and snorkeling trip. I'm only sorry that I don't know the name of the boat to reserve. I bet if you ask for Karon, someone at the Lucayan will know him. He makes the trip so much fun!

On the other hand, we also booked the bonfire on the beach that included dinner and fire dancer. This was such an enormous $55 disappointment. We expected from the advertisement the type of dinner and show that you see on television or in movies. True, we did get a bonfire. But as far as dinner and show, what we had was a far cry from a Hawaiian luau. There were covered picnic tables on the beach, and a pavilion with tables. We had pork ribs and chicken, coleslaw, pork n' beans . . . a general American style barbeque. . . not one regional dish! The fire show was one girl, holding a fire-proof plate with a tiny flame on it. She would go to a guest, hold the plate over his head and then he would have to get up and dance with her. Finally, she put the plate on the floor and he would have to walk over it with one leg on each side of the plate of fire. That was it! The guests were the show! DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON THIS DINNER AND SHOW! Put a few dollars to the $55 and go para-sailing!!

The market place was almost closed by the time we got to it our second and last day. Thank goodness "Bahama Mama" waited for us while we went to dinner, or we would have returned without souvenirs. I would recommend visiting her! She gave us some very good deals without the bargaining that I've heard about so much! See Bahama Mama and tell her I sent you!

A traveler we met on the ship after we left the Bahamas told me that while everyone was checking into the hotel, she and her family went para-sailing. They checked in much later in the day and had no wait at all! We also spent a lot of time checking into the Lucayan when we got off the Celebration cruise ship. This was my first experience on a cruise, or massive process like this. I wish I realized we could go about our merry way and check-in at our leisure! Keep this in mind if you need to check-in in a large group. Go have fun at the pools or beach or whatever you want. Then check-in later when the crowd dies down.

IMPORTANT WARNING: we were told by the travel agent with which we booked our vacation THAT OUR MEALS WOULD BE INCLUDED. This was done in conjunction with a cruise on the Celebration Cruise ship. Staff at the Grand Lucayan said they used to have all inclusive deals BUT THEY DON'T ANYMORE! This didn't do much to accommodate us, since we had planned on our meals being included already in the price. I was told to take this up with Celebration Cruise Vacations. It was Saturday and no one was available. So, they gave me a phone number to call when I got home. In talking to other travelers at the hotel, I found out that they had been sold the same bill of goods on all inclusive vacation at the resort. Who is to blame for this? Celebration Cruise vacation staff? The Grand Lucayan? Someone is getting away with selling travelers this deal!!! WHO IS TO BLAME?

BEWARE OF PROMISES OF ALL INCLUSIVE DEALS AT THE GRAND LUCAYAN RESORT!

It's too bad I had to give this warning. Otherwise it's a very beautiful resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Mary Ellen F
Mary P, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Hello Mary Ellen F,

Thanks for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback regarding your miscommunication with Celebration Cruise lines. I do apologize that you were under the impression you booked an All Inclusive. I will certainly look into this further. Just so you know, we are not exclusively an all inclusive property. However, we do have all inclusive add ons that are guests can purchase.

Also, thanks for sharing the tip on skipping the check in line. This is a great idea to help reduce wait times. Periodically, in situations such as yours, cruise passengers will fill up in the lobby, because they all arrive at the same time. We appreciate your understandings, as often this is unavoidable.

Once again, thank you so much for all of your feedback. Have a wonderful day.

Your Friends at Grand Lucayan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,036)

Reviewed August 6, 2013

this hotel was not a 5 star but it was clean and staff was friendly. the location was terrific, right on the beach and there were so many different pools on the site you could be by your self most of the time or with others if you chose. there were many restaurants on the grounds or directly across the street were many great restaurants, gourmet or low budget, what ever you wanted to meet your budget and tastes. Kid friendly places and adult higher end places. You didn't need a car everything was right there. water sports equip was available to rent too. Taxis easy to get and a very safe environment. The beach it self was super soft sand and the water is the blue Caribbean. there were two infinity pools over looking the ocean too, just like paradise.
if you want to be waited on hand and foot and your every need met, for get it, this isn't your place. if you want a fairly cheap Caribbean vaca this is your place. we went mid June, the weather was perfect every day, we never saw rain. I packed my pool noodles in my suit case and floated the week away!!!!! a great place relax!!!!!! if you like to work out, the beach is long and a great walk early am, or the gym on premise's is top notch!!!!

Room Tip: the higher floors had a great ocean view. ocean view is worth the extra money. rooms with out ocean...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank meli13_12

Hello meli13_12,

Thanks so much for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor. So glad that you were able to relax and enjoy the property. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!! Thanks for all the kind words!

Your friends at the Grand Lucayan

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This was different then most resorts I've stayed at as I'm used to all inclusives so to actually be paying up front for each meal I thought the food would be better as it seemed expensive. The grounds were gorgeous with amazing beach front property and the pool was very nice to sit at. The night life was not what I expected as there were few activities offered at night to go and watch. We were going to a fish fry that was advertised as being outside and turned out to be inside with no entertainment and was just a buffet. The room I stayed at was nice and big. The only downside was it was facing the airconditioning units which was loud and being close to the elevator and that was pretty noisy too. I might go back to this resort on an all inclusive package as even though it probably cost more it might not feel like it when we are actually there getting to eat and drink what we want.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Kathytraveler1
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We came to this resort on the Bahamas Celebration cruise out of West Palm Beach, since many of us arrived at once from the ship the check in process was grueling after waiting in a long line the day before to check in for the cruise, the hotel ushered up to a 2nd floor conference room where we had to wait 45 mins with around 100-150 people to check in and by that I mean, they gave us a bracelet, towel cards and a beeper so we could hang out on the property until our room was ready. We headed to the pool to enjoy the sunshine and some drinks and 3 hours later our buzzer rang and we could go into the lobby with 8 other people and their buzzers to wait to get our room. We called ahead the day before and asked for a room above the 5th floor and we got a room on the 3rd floor. We had the "Island View" which basically was a roof full of air-conditioners and a pathway to the market across the street. We didn't get to leave our door open much because the air conditioners were very loud. I wish we had a better view. The ice machine on our floor was broken so we had to go up or down one floor to get ice which wasn't ideal but we made it work. All the staff we encountered was pretty nice. When we checked in we were told the 5th floor had no water by some other guests so I guess we were lucky we weren't up there. Overall the rooms were clean, shower was decent. The beds were small, double beds for 4 people was tight but it was only a few days. The beach and pools are beautiful, beware of the pool with the bar in it, was very dirty in the evening. We ate in the Churchills restaurant which I wouldn't recommend, the server was beyond rude and the food was mediocre at best. And very expensive for the experience.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view, more money but worth it. Ask for above 5th floor if going for island view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Maria D,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize for the frustration you encountered. We have directed your concerns to our Food & Beverage Director. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back for a much better stay.

Grand Lucayan Management

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This property is breath taking. If you're planning a destination wedding this is the place for you. The grand Lucaya has excellent restaurants and is situated in a perfect shopping area with casino bars and cozy night life. The staff was very comforting and pleasant in all aspects of the trip. I only wish that I could name all of the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Water front room of course is the best.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hi Charles J,
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write this kind review! We strive not only to meet each guest's expectations but to exceed them, as well. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed our property, our staff, and the nightlife. We hope you come visit us again soon!

Best,
Your friends at Grand Lucayan

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I arrived late on a Monday evening and the place was crowed. The young lady Inga at the front desk was very helpful and kind. She pulled up my reservation and got my room. I went back down the next day and made sure everything was fine and she stated that it was. I enjoyed the breakfast, which was always great. Ms Ann who I believed was manager was kind to me each day, she remember who I was by name. Velma generally helped me with things I needed while eating and always with a smile. There was a very kind lady that cared for my room and she made sure everything was in place. My ironing board broke and when I called it was there within minutes. An elderly couple across the hall from me had a problem with their A/C. I went to the front desk and informed them and within minutes of my returning to the room, someone was there to handle the problem. I had a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Hi victorinme,
Thanks for taking the time to write this review! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that our friendly staff was able to take care of you. We're happy to hear they enhanced your experience with us. We'll be sure to send your love to Inga, Ms. Ann, and Velma! We hope you come visit us again.

Best,
Your friends at Grand Lucayan

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Its been over a month and I still don't have my deposit back. Anyone else had this problem? I would have rated this hotel well, except that its almost 2 months and I still don't have my refundable deposit back - for 2 rooms (one of which we never ended up using) - and twice they have hung up the phone on me - very convinient.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank doc_ss13
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Good day doc_ss13,
We would like to thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor with us. We apologize for the level of customer service you received during your stay, and can certainly understand your frustration. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with us and follow up by contacting us directly at info@grandlucayan.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Grand Lucayan Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!