“Excellent”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Brentwood, New York
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This property is breath taking. If you're planning a destination wedding this is the place for you. The grand Lucaya has excellent restaurants and is situated in a perfect shopping area with casino bars and cozy night life. The staff was very comforting and pleasant in all aspects of the trip. I only wish that I could name all of the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Water front room of course is the best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Hi Charles J,
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write this kind review! We strive not only to meet each guest's expectations but to exceed them, as well. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed our property, our staff, and the nightlife. We hope you come visit us again soon!

Best,
Your friends at Grand Lucayan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
ouston, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I arrived late on a Monday evening and the place was crowed. The young lady Inga at the front desk was very helpful and kind. She pulled up my reservation and got my room. I went back down the next day and made sure everything was fine and she stated that it was. I enjoyed the breakfast, which was always great. Ms Ann who I believed was manager was kind to me each day, she remember who I was by name. Velma generally helped me with things I needed while eating and always with a smile. There was a very kind lady that cared for my room and she made sure everything was in place. My ironing board broke and when I called it was there within minutes. An elderly couple across the hall from me had a problem with their A/C. I went to the front desk and informed them and within minutes of my returning to the room, someone was there to handle the problem. I had a great experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hi victorinme,
Thanks for taking the time to write this review! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that our friendly staff was able to take care of you. We're happy to hear they enhanced your experience with us. We'll be sure to send your love to Inga, Ms. Ann, and Velma! We hope you come visit us again.

Best,
Your friends at Grand Lucayan
CT
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Its been over a month and I still don't have my deposit back. Anyone else had this problem? I would have rated this hotel well, except that its almost 2 months and I still don't have my refundable deposit back - for 2 rooms (one of which we never ended up using) - and twice they have hung up the phone on me - very convinient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank doc_ss13
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Good day doc_ss13,
We would like to thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor with us. We apologize for the level of customer service you received during your stay, and can certainly understand your frustration. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with us and follow up by contacting us directly at info@grandlucayan.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Grand Lucayan Management
El Sobrante, California, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2013

To the Grand Lucayan: I'd like to know why after checking out and being told we owe nothing...we were charged $204 to our credit card. Additionally when we called you, you stated it was because we didn't "pay our taxes". Our trip was booked through Travelocity and you stated they didn't pay you the taxes we paid them...so you charged us. So you indicated you would not give us a refund, well fast forward one week after Travelocity contacted you about the matter and now you are indicating that we were charged without being notified AT ALL because we weren't in the room one night...even though it was already paid for by us. Way to change up the excuses to charge a customer without notifying them. This is absolutely ridiculous and a huge scam and I will be telling everybody about this including blogs and the BBB.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ornan N
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Ornan,
Thank you for contacting us regarding your stay at Grand Lucayan for the dates of July 16th - July 23rd, 2013. We appreciated your patience while investigating the matter with Travelocity. We understand the importance of checking into a hotel and having a problem free stay. We have looked into the matter diligently and your credit card will be refunded a credit in the amount of $238. This will cover the resort fees and service charges for the duration of your stay that should not have been billed to you a second time. Please do note that your booking was made directly with Travelocity and the error came from Travelocity due to a glitch in their booking system. The paperwork of your booking/reservation that transferred over from Travelocity to Grand Lucayan resort indicated that the resort fees & service charges were not paid for, and thus this resulted in additional charges from Grand Lucayan. Please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to create a better experience for you. Our standard at The Grand Lucayan is to provide our guests with top-notch customer service. We hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future by taking advantage of any of our Special promotions booked directly through the Hotel.

Grand Lucayan Management
Thousand Oak
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon in August 2012. We had a groupon that was something like 4 nights for $500....people we met there were paying $300 a night for the same room as we had so it was soo worth it to search for a deal! The hotel was beautiful and the rooms were nice. We had a corner room with a big balcony but every room in the hotel has an ocean view. The people were nice, you could always get a beach chair or a pool chair and the beach water (no matter what time) and pool water were always a great temp. We ate at the pool bar a few times which was okay, had free breakfast included..but i HATED the breakfast, and then for all other meals we went across to the marketplace and I also did not like the food there. All the food was funky and just very different than normal american food. We ate at Zorba's like 4 times..no joke! Great greek food! I still dream of their gyros. The marketplace is also a great place for shopping for suiveneers. No hasslers anywhere that we experienced!

We did a snorkeling trip which was fine. Kinda boring and didnt include any booze or food, unlike the hawaii snorkeling trips i've done in the past. It was worth it to be able to snorkel and see some fish though. And then we went swimming with the dolphins which headquarters is directly across from the hotel. WORTH EVERY PENNY! Pay the extra and do the excursion where you actually swim with them, not the one where you sit in the water and the dolphins just swim around you and splashes you. We literally swam with the dolphins and touched them and held them, it was amazing! We both still talk about it and dream about doing it again. They even let your spouse/friend take pics while you are in the water with them (you go in 2 at a time). We wish we would have done the parasailing or jetskiing but we were cheap and didnt do it. As soon as we got home we regretted it though. So treat it like a vacation and do the fun things :)

So all in all the resort was great and if we were wanting to go to the Bahamas again we'd def stay here. The pool bar was a blast and one night we got a bit tipsy with a few other honeymooning couples off the delicious Bahamian beer (Sands and one other yummy one) and all just drank and got crazy. Ended the night with drunken room service in bed which was pretty decent. Book your vacation here and have a blast!

Also, we were flying from LAX so we decided to spend a day in Miami before we headed to the Bahamas. Totally worth it and we just loved Miami. Broke the trip up nicely.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Libby B
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We've just returned from a beautiful vacation to the Bahamas and for a group of 14, including 6 children, it was an excellent place for us to visit. I will say that the Port Lucayan area is a bit of a contradiction of sorts. The Grand Lucayan has immense facilities and looks like it ONCE was a mega-complex thriving everywhere. While we were there, it was an efficient hotel with a breath-taking scenery and very friendly employees (including the maids). But it was half-empty. I say that with a bit of concern for the hotel, not for me. I actually liked having the ability to get several beach or pool chairs in a row for our entire group or to use the gym each morning with maybe only 1 other person working out. It almost appeared like a place who had a heydey in the 50's, but the hotel itself is maintained extremely well, even the less-traveled areas, and we encountered absolutely NO issues during the trip at all. Here are the highlights:
- Pools are relaxing and easy to manuever. The only drawback is that all pools are the same depth - 4 feet. If you want to dive or tread water, too bad.

- The beach has gorgeous water and ample sand, and the hawkers didn't bother us nearly as much as some reviews indicated.

- The Port Lucayan Marketplace is right across the street and that is where almost all of our meals were spent. I personally liked the AfterDeck for breakfast (especially because of Yvonne), Zorba's and Cafe Breeze's for lunch, and we had a very special dinner at Giovanni's Italian restaurant. A couple of comments about previous reviews:
- Prices didn't seem very high at all which contrasts to previous reviews. I paid about what I'd pay at mid-level restaurants in Charlotte, and oftentimes paid less when factoring in the cost of sodas. Most places charged a dollar or so for a can of soda while I'm used to paying almost $3 for free refills at home. Beer, wine and liquor were all priced about the same as I'm used to as well (in the restaurants) - more on that later.
- We usually ate out with at least 10 of the 14 in our group and service was never an issue. Then again, and this goes back to the sprseness of the crowds, we were often one of only 2-3 tables in each place we went. I almost wanted the crowds to be bigger because I want these places to survive.
- I spent most of the time orderig Bahamian specialties. If you like corned beef, try the "fire engine" which is a spicier corned beef served with grits. Cracked conch is actually fried pieces and i was excellent everywhere. The conch fritters varied from place to place - from very doughy to having a lot of conch. My favorite were at Molly Malone's Irish Pub. Go figure.
- If you walk on the beach away from the Grand Lucayan, you'll come to a beach stand called Billie Joe's. Anthing you get there will be excellent.
- The cost of beer is prohibitive at the liquor stores. Any 6-pack will go for $12-$15! Most of the bars have 2 for $5 specials, but drinking is not cheap.
- Word of caution, if you go to the Lucayan Marketplace website, be forewarned that it lists several places that are now out of business. We were looking forward to the Dunkin' Donuts as an easy breakfast for the kids, but it no longer exists and hasn't for some time.

- We went to the Goombay festival held every Thursday in July on Taino Beach. It was a great way to meet some locals and to see the Bahamian culture. There are food and drink tents all over the place with reasonably priced local dishes. This was my favorite evening.

- I highly recommend doing the Dolphin Experience run through UNEXCO. Well worth the $85 for a few hour excusion.

- We also did a snorkeling trip through Pat and Diane's. The staff was really friendly, but the snorkeling was only so-so. I'd still recommend it if you have kids as they will just like the fact they get to see fishes and enjoy the water and boat amentities. Ours had a rock wall to climb and a water slide.

Overall, it was a great trip, the Grand Lucayan was a centrally located, well-maintained place to stay. I just wish more people will come or I'm afraid the local businesses will have to close down.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Lucayan for 7 nights with two girlfriends. We only had one negative experience. Here's my list of the good and the bad:

The Good:
-The staff is incredibly friendly. Not a single person was rude to us.
-The location can't be beat if you want somewhat of a nightlife. With the Marketplace right across the street, you can try a different restaurant every night and enjoy some fun bars and even karaoke on some nights. We made so many friends at the marketplace!
-The beach and pools had just the right amount of people. We always were able to find three chairs next to each other when we wanted to lounge. But the beach wasn't totally empty so it always felt lively.
-This hotel is almost in the middle of the island, so if you want to rent a car, it's not a far drive to the east side of the island nor is it a far drive to the west side of the island.
-One of the nights we found a little paper slipped under our door inviting us to a complimentary cocktail hour on the great lawn. We enjoyed appetizers, live music, and drinks--all for free! We have no idea why we were invited or what it was for, but it was great!

The (only one) Bad:
-We were there for 7 nights. Our AC broke on night 2 and was out for 3 days total. We were incredibly uncomfortable during those nights and I really didn't get more than a couple of hours of sleep during that time. We weren't the only people with broken AC and there were a lot of complaints. When I asked for some compensation, we received a $50 room credit. I feel like we should have been given more, but I really didn't want to waste my vacation arguing with someone at the front desk. And they were working as quickly as they could. We were in our room when the AC guy came and fixed it and he was super nice. He even chatted with us while fixing it.

Overall, the place is amazing and was perfect for us. Broken AC can happen at any hotel and I do feel that it was handled well considering how many rooms were without AC. We rented a car and drove around the island and I didn't see any hotels that looked nearly as nice as this one. I highly recommend it!

*And check out Trikk Pony Stables. I left a review for them too:)

Room Tip: Most of the reviews say that you should get a room with an ocean view. We saved money by getting a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends