I stayed at the Grand Lucayan for 7 nights with two girlfriends. We only had one negative experience. Here's my list of the good and the bad:
-The staff is incredibly friendly. Not a single person was rude to us.
-The location can't be beat if you want somewhat of a nightlife. With the Marketplace right across the street, you can try a different restaurant every night and enjoy some fun bars and even karaoke on some nights. We made so many friends at the marketplace!
-The beach and pools had just the right amount of people. We always were able to find three chairs next to each other when we wanted to lounge. But the beach wasn't totally empty so it always felt lively.
-This hotel is almost in the middle of the island, so if you want to rent a car, it's not a far drive to the east side of the island nor is it a far drive to the west side of the island.
-One of the nights we found a little paper slipped under our door inviting us to a complimentary cocktail hour on the great lawn. We enjoyed appetizers, live music, and drinks--all for free! We have no idea why we were invited or what it was for, but it was great!
The (only one) Bad:
-We were there for 7 nights. Our AC broke on night 2 and was out for 3 days total. We were incredibly uncomfortable during those nights and I really didn't get more than a couple of hours of sleep during that time. We weren't the only people with broken AC and there were a lot of complaints. When I asked for some compensation, we received a $50 room credit. I feel like we should have been given more, but I really didn't want to waste my vacation arguing with someone at the front desk. And they were working as quickly as they could. We were in our room when the AC guy came and fixed it and he was super nice. He even chatted with us while fixing it.
Overall, the place is amazing and was perfect for us. Broken AC can happen at any hotel and I do feel that it was handled well considering how many rooms were without AC. We rented a car and drove around the island and I didn't see any hotels that looked nearly as nice as this one. I highly recommend it!
*And check out Trikk Pony Stables. I left a review for them too:)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan is an elegant, serene AAA four-diamond resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. As part of Grand Lucayan Bahamas Beach & Golf Resort, this 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Orbitz, BookIt.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Radisson Freeport
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island