“Loved my stay at this beautiful resort”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Whitefish, Montana
“Loved my stay at this beautiful resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The resort is beautiful and the staff was exceptional. We had an ocean view room and enjoyed sitting on our balcony. The beach is wonderful and not crowded. My only complaint is that I think the resort should do more to control the vendors who come onto the beach to sell you stuff. It is distracting from my quiet peaceful time on the beach. Did not eat at any of the restaurants, they were very expensive. Found the pastry café and Sundry shop a little more affordable. The poolside bar was a nice place to get a cool drink and not have to get out of the water. The resort is right across from the marketplace which is pricey but not close enough to a grocery store where we could buy more affordable snacks and food. This was very enjoyable and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you request ocean view, ask for a room above the fourth floor. We were just at tree level and cou...
2 Thank Juliena M
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hi Juliena M,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We are glad you had a great stay at the Grand Lucayan and that you enjoyed the beach, your ocean view room, our staff, and the pool bar.
We are sorry if the beach vendors were a distraction, we will certainly look into this. We apologize if the dining options didn't suit your needs. We have a variety of restaurants on property and the Port Lucaya Marketplace across the street which a majority of our guests enjoy a great deal, however we certainly appreciate your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. We hope you come back again!

Grand Lucayan Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,049)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Arrived at resort on Monday, June 24th - left Wednesday June 26th.

Me, my wife and 2 kids (age 9 and 11) did the Carnival cruise and 2 night stay at the Grand Lucayan resort in the Bahamas. We left on Sunday from West Palm Beach, docked Monday morning and arrived at the hotel around noon-ish. (Note: if you take the cruise you will be charged roughly $15/per adult for round trip bus fare to and from the hotel. It's a nice bus though...:)

We had read several reviews beforehand about the cumbersome check-in process, so it didn't really come as a surprise - fortunately they staggered the bus trips over from the cruise ship to the hotel so it didn't seem totally overwhelming, but we still had to wait 45-60 minutes or so before we could check-in. The rooms won't be ready until at LEAST 3pm, so plan accordingly. We had a day bag packed and wore our swim attire so after check-in we headed right to the beach and pools. They do give you your beach towel passes immediately, so you don't need to bring those, just fyi.

Regarding the resort:
WOW. Just beautiful. The beaches are in excellent condition and weren't crowded at all during our stay. The sand is super soft (surprisingly there were no shells like we're used to in Florida) and the water is a palette of brilliant turquoise and deep blue. The beach view rooms face to the SouthEast so you won't have any ocean sunsets, but you do get some awesome sunrises!

Towering coconut palm trees throughout the grounds are well kept and the pool areas were fantastic, the main resort area has two serpentine style pool sections and a large U-shaped infinity pool by the beach (and bar). The water in all the pools is 4ft deep everywhere which is excellent for families wih younger children, non-swimmers and swimmers alike. The floor of the pools is textured instead of smooth, but I didn't find this to be unpleasant at all.

Note: if you're very fair skinned, be very cautious and apply LOTS of sunscreen. For some reason the sun here will torch you if you're not careful. On the upside, we all got deep tans in no time flat.

Secret tip: For ultimate seclusion, go to the infinity pool on the attached resort to the left (if you're looking out to the ocean), by the lighthouse. This resort is actually like 3 resorts in one, but most everyone stays at the main 'Radisson' area, leaving the other areas virtually vacant. The towel hut and bathrooms are closed over there, but the grounds and pool are in perfect condition and open for use. Me and my family had the entire infinity pool area to ourselves for several hours (and this pool is even cooler than the one on the main resort area). It was unbelievable.

The rooms:
We requested a higher floor room based on everyone's reviews. We wound up on the 8th floor with an ocean-view and all I can say is WOW. The balcony doors open up pretty much all the way (and they're big) to give you a mega view of the resort and ocean. Absolutely stunning. The rooms were quite large, though the beds seemed a tad smaller than a queen. Everything was comfortable and the rooms were well kept. There's a mini-fridge for storing leftovers or sodas, etc. and a decent size flat screen tv for late night viewing.

The food:
Not a lot of options for eating on the resort grounds (at least during our stay) - there's a nice coffee shop with some decent breakfast sandwiches and pastries and a breakfast buffet that was very good, well worth the $15/per person - but it's only open until 10:30 am and then they close down, which was really weird. Most of your dining will be done across the way in the Lucayan marketplace -we ate at the Greek restaurant (it was just 'ok') and also at Mollys - that was actually quite good and they give you a free shot after dinner! The staff there was hilarious, too. Food will cost you more than you expect, but you still have options like Subway and Pizza hut that can save you a few dollars. Don't expect any $5 footlongs though, everything is imported in so food is typically 20-25% more than you'd pay in the states. Definitely recommend trying the Conch Fritters while you're in the Bahamas though - delicious!

Service / Staff:
If you're the type of person who expects immediate attention or want's things RIGHT NOW, prepare yourself for disappointment beforehand because that's not going to happen here. The Bahamian people are very nice but they are also very laid back - the only people you're going to see rush around are the guys that handle your luggage. My advice...have a drink, breathe deep and RELAX. You're on island time.

Bottom line:
If you're considering taking a trip to the Bahamas and want to visit the most beautiful beaches there and simply relax, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Grand Lucayan. Make sure to get the ocean view rooms on a high floor!

Room Tip: Ocean view - anything above the sixth floor. Keep your balcony sliding doors closed if you want the...
5 Thank pavkey88
Hi pavkey88,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed review! We are sure it will serve as a good reference for future guests. We are happy to hear you and your family enjoyed the beautiful beaches, the secluded infinity pool, and the ocean view rooms! You can't beat that view. We are glad you discovered the abundant dining options at the Port Lucaya Marketplace. Thank you so much for recommending us and we hope you come back and visit us again!

Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The lobby is absolutely amazing and so is the outside area, UNTIL you get the the guest rooms building. There was rust in the bathtub and on the floors and the refrigerator seem as though it had been plugged out. The bedding was nice and so was the balcony where we had a view of a small yacht harbor instead of the ocean. We didnt mind. We live in Miami, we dont need to be in an ocean front room. After checking in around 4:30pm, which was one of the longest check in processes of my life, I cam down later on that night to register a guest. The lady Shenique, took care of me and was rudely slow! It took her literally 20mins to register my guest. While taking eternity to do something which I know could have been done in less than 2mins (I am a front desk agent myself), there was a lady next to me being assisted by another front desk agent and experiencing horrible service. I heard the lady being told "If you give me one minute, you're not understanding, let me figure this out! it was before my shift.." Shenique then strolled over to, what I thought was help, but to put in her two cents. Left me standing there another 5mins with no assistance. Two reps came from the back office, and none of them asked me if I was being assisted or if I needed help or anything. They looked on at the explosive argument taking place next to me. Shenique finally came back to finish assisting me, and I asked her if it would take much longer...she rolled her eyes up at me and with a horrible attitude and low tone said "give me a minute!". Because I am a front desk agent, I am a firm believer of treating others the way you'd want to be treated, I didnt react to her rudeness.

Other than the front desk's attitude, the property was amazing! I really enjoyed the beach boys and their funny characters. Being from Roatan, I knew what I wanted to experience and they gave me just that. The poolstaff was great and so was the security staff. He remembered my name throught out my entire stay!

Please work on renovating the rooms, at least the bathrooms and the refrigerators. Also training the front desk staff in courtesy. I know they say Bahamians can be quite forward, but you're not just in Bahamas, you're in the hospitality business!

Room Tip: If you don't mind not having an ocean view, the harbor view room is beautiful! We loved it!!
2 Thank roatansfinest
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear roatansfinest,
Thank you for providing some feedback on your recent stay at the Grand Lucayan. By taking the time to tell us how we are doing, you are helping us to continuously improve the level of service we are providing to our guests. We apologize for the level of customer service you received from our front desk associates during your stay, and can certainly imagine your disappointment and frustration. Grand Lucayan is always looking for ways to improve - be it the installation of new equipment or minor changes that improve the guest experience. We have started and are in the midst of renovations of our suites to better enhance the Guest experience. Recently, we have replaced the carpets, the lighting and other room amenities. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to better serve you on your next visit to Grand Bahama Island.

Grand Lucayan Management
Denver, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

My family and I just returned from a week stay at the Grand Lucayan. Upon arriving, we were attended to quickly and didn't experience the wait to check-in like many others have. However, I was given a room key to a room that was already occupied and ended up walking in on a couple...yikes! The front desk was very apologetic though and I ended up getting a room on the 7th floor with beautiful views of the ocean and property. The room was kept clean and the beds were very comfortable. Almost everybody that we encountered at the resort was very friendly and genuinely looked happy to be there. The hotel property is very large and we found that we spent most of our time on the quiet side by the infinity pool. The beach was kept very clean and they had plenty of lounge chairs. There's not much to do at night however, so if you're looking for someplace with a lot of night life, this probably isn't the place for you. A lot of the times we were the only ones on the beach, which was fine with me because I was looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation. We ate once at one of the restaurants at the resort, China Beach. It was good, but pricey and the waitress could have been friendlier. The rest of the trip we went across the street to the Lucayan marketplace where they have ton's of little shops and restaurants. Some are pricey but there were a few that had good food for decent prices. We especially enjoyed the Greek restaurant, Zorbas and Molly Malones.

We did a few tours including the jeep tour of the island. I personally didn't think it was worth it for the expensive price. We rented a car and saw everything already that they showed us on the jeep tour. If you're able to, make it out to Gold Rock Beach at the Lucayan National Park. Make sure to try and go during low tide to get the most out of it. We went and ate at Pier One one night and the food was very good. The kids enjoyed it because at 7, 8, and 9 o'clock they feed the sharks right off the patio.

Now for the negative, we booked our trip through the Grand Lucayan website. I wasn't aware that booking it through their website was actually being processed through a third party source that charges additional commission fees. Upon booking the reservation I was charged for "part of the hotel stay" as stated on the receipt. There was nothing saying that this was the booking company's commission so upon checkout, I noticed additional charges. The girl at the front desk was helpful in trying to figure it out for me and called the reservation desk. She also got the front desk supervisor to try and help figure out the discrepancies. While I have no complaints about any of the other staff, I was not pleased with the attitude of the supervisor. Not only was she rude and abrupt with me, but she made me feel as if I was annoying her with all my questions. When there's an almost $900.00 difference on my bill, you can bet I'm going to question it. It is because of her bad attitude that I didn't give the hotel 5 stars. I also asked her several times to allow me to speak with the reservation desk so I could find out where the extra charges were coming from and she kept making excuses to keep me from speaking with them even though she had them on the line. I eventually had to call them from my cell phone and get billed the international charges. After speaking with them, the first young lady was very apologetic while the supervisor just shrugged her shoulders and walked away. Not impressed. FYI...they also charge a government tax, resort fee and energy surcharge. I would recommend booking through Expedia or Cheap Caribbean because they include all the extra fees upon purchase and the hotel website does not.

All in all, besides our mishap upon checkout, we had a wonderful stay. The resort is amazing and I would consider going back!

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, try and get a room on the 5th floor or above or else the view is blocked...
3 Thank Amber R
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hi Amber R,
Thanks for taking the time to review us! We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Lucayan and especially enjoyed the gorgeous ocean view from your hotel room, the big comfy beds, and the infinity pool. We're sorry to hear about your check-out experience. That is certainly not our standard and is totally unacceptable. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we will be sure to look into this. Thank you again for reviewing us. We can see how such an experience can lessen the overall experience and we are glad to see that did not happen and that the positive aspects were able to shine through. We hope you come see us again!

Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We just returned from a 4 night/5 day stay of beautiful sun/no rain. We had been there before about 10 years ago, but we stayed in the "old" resort next door (Our Lucaya/Sheridan I think - which was sold/currently being renovated evidently). We weren't sure what to expect, but where VERY satisfied.

Some quick points...the location is fantastic, the beaches are beautiful, the pools were plentiful and refreshing, and the staff there was VERY friendly.

We had no probs getting there from the airport ($22 bucks gets you to the resort door), check-in didn't take long at all (at least for us). There is that thing they call "Island Time", so yeah, 'some' things do take a bit, but we only experienced that at restaurants across the street.

Our room was nice, and view was awesome (8th floor, ocean view). The room itself could use some upgrades here and there, but no deal breakers. We did end up having a noisy 'whine' with our A/C, which they couldn't fix, so they quickly moved us to another room on the top floor. Again, room was just fine, and A/C was kicking.

The on-site restaurants we ate at (China Beach, Willy Broadleafs) were very good. They are all a bit pricey, but to be expected. The food was great at both places. Our first night there, they had an outdoor buffet poolside, complete with 'Junkaroo' drummers! You can't 'beat' that (no pun intended!). We also enjoyed the on-site bars. Got to love a bar you can swim up to! We really enjoyed chatting with the bartenders as well, especially Solomon @ Hammerheads/Waves Bar. He was great!

We didn't use any of the other facilities on-site (gym, spa, etc) aside from the pools. Love them. The pool by Hammerheads was nice and cool, and the others were on the warm side. Very nice!

The beach was beautiful...what more can I say. We spent most of our time poolside, but took a few dips. The water was warm, and colorful...white soft sand...loved it!

The marketplace across the street was great. Lot's of bars, restaurants, shopping, etc. We saw a great band over there one night, and witnessed an amazing limbo contest where the "host" did the lowest limbo I've ever seen! The prices for restaurants are a bit pricey, but beers are cheap at the bars. Kalik, Sands and High Rock are some of the local beers...I like the High Rock quite a bit!

Overall, we loved our stay. Other the A/C issue, we had NO issues whatsover, and were treated nicely all around at the Grand Lucayan. Sure, there are some areas that need improvement/maybe some renovation, but we were able to look past it and enjoy our time there.

We will DEFINITELY go back, and recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: Top floor room we had seemed a bit warmer than a few floors down (makes sense I guess, due to sun).
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Van H
Hi Van H,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and especially enjoyed our on-site restaurants, bars, and the gorgeous hotel room view! You can't beat that view :) We apologize for the incident with the A/C in your first room, but we're glad our management was able to switch you to a room on the top floor. Thanks again for recommending us and we hope you come see us again!

Leon Springs, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We recently returned from our first trip to Freeport. We loved it. The resort was beautiful and all services were top notch. The Port Lucaya location is a fantastic bonus; everything you want whether shopping, restaurants, or fun bars is directly across the street from the main lobby entrance.

With regard to some other reviews mentioning a long time to get checked in, I would say it took some time, but everyone there is 'on island time', so it is to be expected. Since we were paying with Radisson Points (Booked when it was a Radisson) I was a little concerned that we would not get much of a room, but as it turned out, we probably had the best room on the property, an ocean view junior suite on a high floor.

Highly recommended to all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DiegoandDoraExplorer
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hi DiegoandDoraExplorer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Lucayan. We're glad you enjoyed the hotel's close proximity to the Port Lucaya Marketplace and your ocean view junior suite on one of the top floors - you can't beat that view. Thanks again for reviewing us and recommending us on Tripadvisor. We hope you come see us again!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I tend to dislike large hotels on the beach but the Grand Lucayan proved an exception to the rule, probably helped by the fact that the hotel was not full when we stayed there. It's a big, sprawling property with a good range of facilities including a well appointed fitness centre. There are a number of different restaurants and bars on site, which offer variety even if the food is not that great in some locations. We took a suite which had a small kitchenette (only a microwave for cooking though) which gave us the alternative of having some simple meals in the room - a tastier and probably healthier option. The supermarket, about a mile down the road, is very good. Otherwise, the Port Lucaya complex across the road from the hotel has various bars, restaurants and shops including what is laughably called a deli, which does sell a bit of fruit. The hotel has a sundry shop where you can buy oddments including oatmeal that can be microwaved, as well as a cafeteria which offers pastries and such like. As far as the suite is concerned, it was an acceptable size with a double balcony, and was in pretty good shape. Service, by and large, was quick and friendly. Wifi is free throughout the hotel. Overall, we were delighted with our stay and really appreciated the location and the proximity to the dive shop that we used. As noted earlier, if the hotel were full it might well have been another story and travellers should note that, when there's a cruise ship in town, some of the passengers may come to the Grand Lucayan on a day pass. That said, the ones we saw seemed to be quite well 'shepherded' away from the main area of the hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adrianloader
Hi adrianloader,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! We're happy to hear the Grand Lucayan exceeded your expectations. We are sure that your kind, detailed review will be a good reference for future guests. We hope you come and visit us again!