We just returned from a 4 night/5 day stay of beautiful sun/no rain. We had been there before about 10 years ago, but we stayed in the "old" resort next door (Our Lucaya/Sheridan I think - which was sold/currently being renovated evidently). We weren't sure what to expect, but where VERY satisfied.
Some quick points...the location is fantastic, the beaches are beautiful, the pools were plentiful and refreshing, and the staff there was VERY friendly.
We had no probs getting there from the airport ($22 bucks gets you to the resort door), check-in didn't take long at all (at least for us). There is that thing they call "Island Time", so yeah, 'some' things do take a bit, but we only experienced that at restaurants across the street.
Our room was nice, and view was awesome (8th floor, ocean view). The room itself could use some upgrades here and there, but no deal breakers. We did end up having a noisy 'whine' with our A/C, which they couldn't fix, so they quickly moved us to another room on the top floor. Again, room was just fine, and A/C was kicking.
The on-site restaurants we ate at (China Beach, Willy Broadleafs) were very good. They are all a bit pricey, but to be expected. The food was great at both places. Our first night there, they had an outdoor buffet poolside, complete with 'Junkaroo' drummers! You can't 'beat' that (no pun intended!). We also enjoyed the on-site bars. Got to love a bar you can swim up to! We really enjoyed chatting with the bartenders as well, especially Solomon @ Hammerheads/Waves Bar. He was great!
We didn't use any of the other facilities on-site (gym, spa, etc) aside from the pools. Love them. The pool by Hammerheads was nice and cool, and the others were on the warm side. Very nice!
The beach was beautiful...what more can I say. We spent most of our time poolside, but took a few dips. The water was warm, and colorful...white soft sand...loved it!
The marketplace across the street was great. Lot's of bars, restaurants, shopping, etc. We saw a great band over there one night, and witnessed an amazing limbo contest where the "host" did the lowest limbo I've ever seen! The prices for restaurants are a bit pricey, but beers are cheap at the bars. Kalik, Sands and High Rock are some of the local beers...I like the High Rock quite a bit!
Overall, we loved our stay. Other the A/C issue, we had NO issues whatsover, and were treated nicely all around at the Grand Lucayan. Sure, there are some areas that need improvement/maybe some renovation, but we were able to look past it and enjoy our time there.
We will DEFINITELY go back, and recommend it to our friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan is an elegant, serene AAA four-diamond resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. As part of Grand Lucayan Bahamas Beach & Golf Resort, this 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Radisson Freeport
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island