“First time out of the country”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed November 21, 2012

and I was thoroughly impressed. I love to travel and I want to go all over the world but I didn't think a resort would make me want to come back so badly. If they had an all inclusive plan that would just be sprinkles on top, but they have plenty of frosting if you catch my drift. bartenders were great, the loster spinach pizza was amazing, and they have a lot of fun things to do around there. catching a cab from the market at night can be tricky, so plan ahead and have the hotel call someone for you if you want to check out redbeards. the beach bonfire was well worth the money, and it was on my bf's 21st birthday so it couldn't have been better. oh, and the beds, oh goodness those beds. my boyfriend is a very light sleeper and needs a VERY good bed and he slept well the whole time we were there. all in all amazing! oh, and I highly suggest cafe breeze across the street:)

Room Tip: the north side is the marina so no beach view but still very pretty.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kirby1002
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

HI Kirby1002,

So glad we were your first experience with international travel!! :0) And I am even more excited that we did not disappoint! Thank you for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor. We always enjoy hearing kind words from our guests. Hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Grand Lucayan, Bahamas

Reviewed November 18, 2012

After a disappointing morning at the Lucaya Market we decided to cross the road and walk towards the resort. We found a security checkpoint before the beach and inquired about access. The security guards were friendly and advised that there was a free part of the beach or we could pay $10 a person and go to the resort maintained side with showers and beach loungers. We chose to pay the fee and spent a couple of hours on the beach. Well worth it to get away from the market and relax on the beach. There were water sport salesmen selling banana boat rides and jet skis but they were not pushy at all. Keeping in mind Atlantis wanted $70 per person for the same in Nassau the next day we were pleased to spend a couple of hours here for next to nothing (In Bahamas cost).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank James R

Hi James R,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time out of your day to rate us on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to hear that you found the day pass to Grand Lucayan of such a great value. We love it when our cruisers come to visit us. We hope to have you as a guest of the hotel some time in the near future. If you think our beaches are amazing. You should see it from the balcony of one of our ocean view rooms. ") Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I chose the Grand Lucayan for a perfect "Sister's Birthday Celebration Getaway" for my sister and me because I had vacationed at this hotel 4 or 5 years ago when it was the "Radisson Our Lucaya".
As most everyone is aware due to recent hurricanes, hotel ownership changes and general wear and tear the Grand Lucayan did not live up to the same grandeur I experienced before. The place could definitely use some TLC. The spa was not as clean as I remembered, and the whirlpools and steam room at the gym were not functioning. The massage therapists were however A++, and the gym is top class for resorts anywhere. The pools at the hotel were incredibly dirty and the first afternoon after we arrived I inquired "why" there was so much debris in the pools, and "why" the pool water was such a dirty green color? I was told that the pools were currently being "treated" due to the rain from Hurricane Sandy and the pools should return to their normal color in three days. This did not occur during the 5 nights I was here, so consequently I did not use the pools.
If you are choosing a hotel in Freeport for only the beautiful beach, friendliness of staff, safety for two women traveling alone and convenience to the Port Lucayan shopping and dining, then this is the place for you in Freeport.

Room Tip: Be sure and get a floor higher than 3 to ensure a good view of the water
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank traveljunkieArkansas

Good day and Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better. We apologize for the frustrations you encountered during your stay with us. Grand Lucayan is always looking for ways to improve - be it the installation of new equipment or minor changes that improve the guest experience. Recently, lighting, carpets and other room amenities have been replaced. Some of the changes we are currently implementing include for example, ensuring that all appliances in the rooms are operational as well as the upkeep of the property, making improvements to the Spa. We are delighted that you have enjoyed our beautiful beach, the friendliness of our staff and the sense of safety throughout our property. Again we apologize for the frustrations you have encountered during your stay at our resort.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We (my sister, my friend and I) cruised in on the Bahamas Celebration and stayed for 2 nights at the Grand Lucayan. We absolutely enjoyed our stay! We dropped off our luggage at the hotel and went out on a boat tour until we had to check-in (around 3 p.m.) The lobby is beautiful! Not to mention the incredible view when you walk back and out the doors overlooking a huge lawn and the beach/ocean. The staff are super friendly and accommodating! Our room didn't have a great view, but we chose not to pay for an ocean view upgrade, so it was fine. Take 2 minutes and walk out of the hotel instead and enjoy the beautiful colors of the sky at sunset on the beach. The room was clean and comfortable. The decor was a little tacky, but whatever. The infinity pools were nice, but the water was too cold. Hardly anyone got in to swim. the ocean water was warmer! The sand at the beach was white and soft. So picturesque!! Convenient towel hut, restroom facilities, and chairs nearby. Oh, and the hammocks- great idea! One of my favorite things about the resort is its proximity to the Port Lucaya Marketplace. We went over there every day, whether to chat with the locals, listen to music, eat dinner, shop, or grab an ice cream. We had a great trip and we'd love to go back and take the whole family!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Krissy E

Hi kmworth,

So glad that you had such a wonderful experience during your stay with us. Sorry to hear that you did not get to enjoy the ocean view rooms. Next time you visit with us, you ought to give it a try. We are known for our view! Thank you so very, very much for taking the time to rating us. And for being so kind. We love hearing from guests who enjoyed themselves as much as you did. Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just spent a weekend (9th-12th) at the Grand Lucayan. We had a bunch of family there for a wedding on site. We arrived Friday early evening and walked to the front desk after the bellman took our luggage from our taxi. While we were only about the second in line at check in, it did take quite a while and seemed to be a lengthy process. The staff were very friendly though. After that was done we walked to the next building to our rooms which were oceanview deluxe. It was definitely worth the upgrade! A beautiful balcony to sit out on and watch the sunrise and ocean. We had dinner the first night at Willy Broadheads (buffet). It was okay. Wasn't an abundance of selection but for $20 it was decent. They were out of the local beer (Sands) which seemed a little odd, and then ran out of the other Bahamian beer (Kalik).

The next day we had the breakfast buffet which had lots of options for about $12. Omelette station, bacon, eggs, sausage, cereal, pastries etc. Not too busy either which was nice.

We headed over to the market place across the street. Note: the straw markets in Freeport are not like ones you would find in Nassau, no designer purses :( almost every booth had the same things to offer and they all try to sell the women these magnetic bracelets that turn into necklaces (they were actually pretty neat). We ate most of our meals at different restaurants in the market place rather than the hotel as the hotel was pretty pricey. Lots of options and the people in Freeport are VERY friendly! I'd recommend Cappucino's for their $10.95 pasta and wine btwn 5-6pm! Also the After Deck and Zorba's for breakfast were great!

The wedding took place Saturday afternoon and it was absolutely gorgeous!!! Such a beautiful location to get married. The food was mediocre but wasn't a huge deal as we were there to celebrate the happy couple!

Make sure you visit Hammerheads - the swim up and regular bar at the pool. Soloman and Audley were fantastic! Great service. Pauline at China Beach was also very nice, we had her twice.

The only downfall was in the rooms. The bathtub/shower needs some updating, the drain was pretty gross with lots of build up around it. Also, on the last day as I was packing up I noticed ants crawling around on the desk. I let the front desk know so hopefully housekeeping got it taken care of.

We would definitely come back to this hotel. Although I would avoid an all inclusive as it includes the buffet and there just isn't enough choice to enjoy every day. The market place is where you should go to eat for sure. Everyone in town and at the hotel was VERY friendly and left a great impression! Hopefully we'll be back :)

Room Tip: It's worth the upgrade to oceanview!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Colleen S

Hi cbaileyy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience while visiting us here at the Grand Lucayan. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wonderful staff and that you were able to experience the beautiful ocean and sunrise from your balcony. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time out of your day to rate us on trip advisor and for being so thorough. Come back and see us soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

After the stressful day in and outs, my friend and I decided to book a 4 day getaway at the Grand Lucayan in Freeport, Bahamas. Little did we know that the stress would seep into our time spent there. We booked All Inclusive and we seemed to be the ones having to educate the staff there on what that meant. Not to mention feeling second rate for booking this package. One of the nights they decided to close the all inclusive restaurant early leaving us to starve or pay. We had to speak to management and simply say that this is not negotiable we are needing them to accommodate us at one of their other restaurants. The staff working at the restaurants were rude and unapproachable feeling uncomfortable to simply ask for a cup of water. While checking out they stated we had a $950 food bill to pay and had to reexplain that we were All Inclusive and that they had made an error.

The resort has some major making up to do at this point. We lost what was supposed to be island charm on this ridiculous lack of training on something the resort has chose to offer.

MANAGEMENT: I am waiting on a response posted or private messaged regarding what you plan to do about this.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank hanavix
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Well her I come.. Very excited... checking in on Monday. Will do a comprehensive write up at the end. This will be the last vacation I will ever be able to take with my kids. So.... I hope it is all I have been dreaming about! I asked for a room on on of the top couple of floors... they couldn't guarantee but it seems it will happen! Wish me luck!!! Barbara

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Barbara P
Grand L, Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hello Barbara,

I absolutely love that you gave us a pre-travel rating of 5. I hope we live up to it! :D). Enjoy this special time with your children!!

Grand Lucayan Management.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!