Just spent a weekend (9th-12th) at the Grand Lucayan. We had a bunch of family there for a wedding on site. We arrived Friday early evening and walked to the front desk after the bellman took our luggage from our taxi. While we were only about the second in line at check in, it did take quite a while and seemed to be a lengthy process. The staff were very friendly though. After that was done we walked to the next building to our rooms which were oceanview deluxe. It was definitely worth the upgrade! A beautiful balcony to sit out on and watch the sunrise and ocean. We had dinner the first night at Willy Broadheads (buffet). It was okay. Wasn't an abundance of selection but for $20 it was decent. They were out of the local beer (Sands) which seemed a little odd, and then ran out of the other Bahamian beer (Kalik).
The next day we had the breakfast buffet which had lots of options for about $12. Omelette station, bacon, eggs, sausage, cereal, pastries etc. Not too busy either which was nice.
We headed over to the market place across the street. Note: the straw markets in Freeport are not like ones you would find in Nassau, no designer purses :( almost every booth had the same things to offer and they all try to sell the women these magnetic bracelets that turn into necklaces (they were actually pretty neat). We ate most of our meals at different restaurants in the market place rather than the hotel as the hotel was pretty pricey. Lots of options and the people in Freeport are VERY friendly! I'd recommend Cappucino's for their $10.95 pasta and wine btwn 5-6pm! Also the After Deck and Zorba's for breakfast were great!
The wedding took place Saturday afternoon and it was absolutely gorgeous!!! Such a beautiful location to get married. The food was mediocre but wasn't a huge deal as we were there to celebrate the happy couple!
Make sure you visit Hammerheads - the swim up and regular bar at the pool. Soloman and Audley were fantastic! Great service. Pauline at China Beach was also very nice, we had her twice.
The only downfall was in the rooms. The bathtub/shower needs some updating, the drain was pretty gross with lots of build up around it. Also, on the last day as I was packing up I noticed ants crawling around on the desk. I let the front desk know so hopefully housekeeping got it taken care of.
We would definitely come back to this hotel. Although I would avoid an all inclusive as it includes the buffet and there just isn't enough choice to enjoy every day. The market place is where you should go to eat for sure. Everyone in town and at the hotel was VERY friendly and left a great impression! Hopefully we'll be back :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan Bahamas is an elegant resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. This 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Radisson Freeport
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island