“DONT GO ON THE CRUISE!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Pgh
“DONT GO ON THE CRUISE!”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I went on a cruise in August 2011 on the Bahamas Celebration with Caribbean Cruise Line. The ship was awful-very old, terrible food, and they did not even do the mandatory drill where you put your life vest on and report to your life boat so you would know where to go in the event of an emergency. If you have the choice and are simply traveling to this hotel, then I would definitely recommend going! It was beautiful our ocean view room was ready when we got there (we were first in line at the desk, I imagine the line would have been longer when more people from the ship arrived) and the beach was incredible. However, as it mentioned in other reviews, the restaurants were not all open. However, that ended up not being a problem as we were evacuated from the island after only being there for 7 hours. The hotel did not charge me anything and there was no cancellation fee.

Room Tip: Go for an ocean view room for sure.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank lkc137

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
Rio Vista, California
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My wife and I picked up this hotel as part of a quicky cruise package from West Palm Beach to the Bahamas. I was not expecting the hotel to be a top level resort. I was surprised by the quality of the hotel rooms and lobby. The beach and pool areas are very well maintained and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was top notch with all new furniture a great view from the terrace and microwave and refrigerator in the room. There was nothing I want in a hotel that was not here and in good working order. We traveled in Oct- Nov and the resort was not very fully booked. The threat of a hurricane probably kept a lot of people away. Our weather was great and no big storm for us. Would definitely recommend friends to try to stay here.

Room Tip: be patient with the check-in staff. Access to the rooms is slower than you want, but it all works o...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tom-Maria
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Beautiful day excursion from Bahamas Celebration Cruise. Bus takes you to resort to spend the day at the pools right on the beach, lots of extra activities at the beach, looks like pool and beach meet at the lighthouse pointe pool at resort. Just a 2 minute walk to Port Lucaya Marketplace with lots of restuarants, bars and stores! Next time would love to spend a couple of days at the resort!

6 Thank pat j
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed December 10, 2011

The property is beautiful with a clean lovely beach. Our oceanfront room was clean and large. The balcony provided spectacular views. Staff was wonderfully helpful. Walking distance to restaurants and many activities. Great family spot all day long. Unfortunately, nightly booze cruises anchored right off our beach kept us up well past midnight with loud DJ directed games, screaming guests, and loud music. Unfortunate and frustrating end to otherwise perfect days.

13 Thank DNAOH
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Splendid service! The first thing I noticed when I arrived on the grounds was the strong staff presence. Upon exiting the taxicab I took from the airport ($28.00 split between 4 passengers), I was greeted by a porter who took my bag and directed me to the front desk. As part of the group who arrived on an inaugural flight of Vision Airlines from the US, I was welcomed with a cool juice drink and platter of appetizers.

Check in was easy. I was provided with a secured wrist band. First, I shuddered at the feeling of being 21 and in a nightclub but relaxed when I understood that it would help secure the hotel grounds by assuring that everyone there was authorized. There was a staff person at every point of entry onto the grounds and at the door to every building.

The porter guided me to my room and gave me a tour. Each staff person, throughout my visit, greeted me upon sight and asked, in a sincere tone, whether I was enjoying my stay. Anyone I asked was able to guide me on property or off. My housekeeper referred me to an efficient and modestly priced barber in town. I felt safe and that all of my needs were met.

This facility is a lovely one and designed perfectly for easy movement from the rooms to the pool and beach. Both are within very comfortable walking distance. There are multiple swimming pools and lounging areas. There is a hot tub and access to a limited (in diameter) but lovely stretch of beach.

I did not dine at the hotel because it was more expensive than other options. Instead, I walked across the street to the marketplace for modestly priced dining (many dinner entrees were available for less than $20). Lots of options for colorful cocktails and even free live music on the square at night.

To go into town, I took the vans labeled “public bus” that I could catch during the day in front of the nearby police station. The fee was $1.50. Bus drivers picked up near drop off points throughout the day.

My best dining and entertainment experiences were at Irie’s, a restaurant adjacent to the hotel grounds with a tastefully bright tropical décor. The classy setting, warm and friendly service and homestyle food were enhanced by the musical presence of Edwyn. With the help of expertly used electronics, he presented sweet, smooth jazz instrumentals with light vocals. The music referenced favorite 70s R&B tunes (think Stevie Wonder, Anita Baker). The added spice was an occasional Caribbean tune. It inspired relaxation and some dancing!

There were representatives available all day to help plan excursions like boat trips, parasailing and dolphin swims. I am a lounger and spent most of my time walking or relaxing on the beach or by the pool. Overall, this is a well-managed property designed to create wonderful vacation experience with no logistical concerns. It’s easy to have a wonderful time at the Grand Lucayan whatever your vacation style.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that overlook a building with noisy machinery. Avoid this if view matters to y...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank Sheryltravels
Chesterfield VA
Reviewed December 7, 2011

You must keep in mind this hotel is in the Bahamas and the ratings might reflect as such. I expect more out of a hotel in say, Washington DC than Freeport. However, check in was pretty easy, the lobby was very nice. First impression of the room was the musty, moist smell. The A/C was not very fundtional and we had to have it doen to 65 the whole time to keep it cool enough to sleep. The fixtures in the bathroom were wobbly and felt they might come loose at any time. There are many bars/restaurants on the grounds and it is very close to the Port Lucaya were all the bars and restaurants are-walking distance for sure. Also the casino is very close.
You must be made aware that they already tack on 15% tip on everything at the hotel!! This is a shame for the staff in my family's case because we are generally 20% tippers. When asked about this, staff would answer that it works out better for them having the 15% mandatory because of all the northern tourist or Canadians who tip porley. Unfortunatley, the staff don't have to impress for their 15% so some are surley or rude. The staff will get ill sometimes when you don't tack on any more to the 15% too! I find the staff at these facilties,(Freeport, Nassau) are generally more grumpy than the locals on the Out Islands anyway. I think they are just tired of rude tourist. There were some very friendly staff though.
We were lucky enough to have booked a good deal via Vision Airlines so we didn't pay much for air-fare.
The room wwas booked at $109.00 per night but beware- they tack on QUITE A BIT in taxes and resort fees!!! Be sure to ask about this when booking so you wont be suprised, it was close to $40 more a night!

11 Thank CoralRives
Perth Amboy, New Jersey
Reviewed December 6, 2011

this hotel totally exceeded my expectations. we have been to freeport twice this year but only via cruises, and the last time we were there, we decided it would be nice to stay at this hotel....it was incredible this time around. the hotel is absolutely gorgeous and very well maintained. it is very clean, the views are insane and the staff is wonderful all around. the market across the street is soooo convienent and we ate there multiple times (although we actually got cheaper deals in the hotel gift shop and hotel restaurants). highly recommend Zorbas greek restaurant....incredible...we requested an ocean view, but actually got an island view, with a balcony that was about as large as the room itself! complete with lounge chairs and a table...if i could have moved the king bed onto the balcony (because it would have fit), i would have slept out there....the best part was that we had direct and easy access to the beach/pool from our room without having to walk all the way through the property (as in some resorts Ive been to), and there was a starbucks right in the building next to ours....i CANNOT wait to go back there!!!

10 Thank Sinme1
PublicRelationsGrand, Public Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Thank you for your kind review Mdieguez. We are glad that you had a fantastic time. We look forward to having you with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#12 of 14 in Freeport
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!