Splendid service! The first thing I noticed when I arrived on the grounds was the strong staff presence. Upon exiting the taxicab I took from the airport ($28.00 split between 4 passengers), I was greeted by a porter who took my bag and directed me to the front desk. As part of the group who arrived on an inaugural flight of Vision Airlines from the US, I was welcomed with a cool juice drink and platter of appetizers.
Check in was easy. I was provided with a secured wrist band. First, I shuddered at the feeling of being 21 and in a nightclub but relaxed when I understood that it would help secure the hotel grounds by assuring that everyone there was authorized. There was a staff person at every point of entry onto the grounds and at the door to every building.
The porter guided me to my room and gave me a tour. Each staff person, throughout my visit, greeted me upon sight and asked, in a sincere tone, whether I was enjoying my stay. Anyone I asked was able to guide me on property or off. My housekeeper referred me to an efficient and modestly priced barber in town. I felt safe and that all of my needs were met.
This facility is a lovely one and designed perfectly for easy movement from the rooms to the pool and beach. Both are within very comfortable walking distance. There are multiple swimming pools and lounging areas. There is a hot tub and access to a limited (in diameter) but lovely stretch of beach.
I did not dine at the hotel because it was more expensive than other options. Instead, I walked across the street to the marketplace for modestly priced dining (many dinner entrees were available for less than $20). Lots of options for colorful cocktails and even free live music on the square at night.
To go into town, I took the vans labeled “public bus” that I could catch during the day in front of the nearby police station. The fee was $1.50. Bus drivers picked up near drop off points throughout the day.
My best dining and entertainment experiences were at Irie’s, a restaurant adjacent to the hotel grounds with a tastefully bright tropical décor. The classy setting, warm and friendly service and homestyle food were enhanced by the musical presence of Edwyn. With the help of expertly used electronics, he presented sweet, smooth jazz instrumentals with light vocals. The music referenced favorite 70s R&B tunes (think Stevie Wonder, Anita Baker). The added spice was an occasional Caribbean tune. It inspired relaxation and some dancing!
There were representatives available all day to help plan excursions like boat trips, parasailing and dolphin swims. I am a lounger and spent most of my time walking or relaxing on the beach or by the pool. Overall, this is a well-managed property designed to create wonderful vacation experience with no logistical concerns. It’s easy to have a wonderful time at the Grand Lucayan whatever your vacation style.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Lucayan Bahamas is an elegant resort set on 7.5 tropical acres of sandy coastline and spectacular oceanfront. This 542-room hotel delivers the ambiance of the islands with all of the style and amenities you expect in a resort destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Lucayan, Bahamas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Hotel Freeport
- Sheraton Grand Bahama Island Our Lucaya Resort
- Radisson Freeport
- Lucaya Sheraton
- Sheraton Our Lucaya
- Sheraton Bahamas
- Grand Lucayan, Bahamas Freeport, Grand Bahama Island