“Everything you need is here!”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Splendid service! The first thing I noticed when I arrived on the grounds was the strong staff presence. Upon exiting the taxicab I took from the airport ($28.00 split between 4 passengers), I was greeted by a porter who took my bag and directed me to the front desk. As part of the group who arrived on an inaugural flight of Vision Airlines from the US, I was welcomed with a cool juice drink and platter of appetizers.

Check in was easy. I was provided with a secured wrist band. First, I shuddered at the feeling of being 21 and in a nightclub but relaxed when I understood that it would help secure the hotel grounds by assuring that everyone there was authorized. There was a staff person at every point of entry onto the grounds and at the door to every building.

The porter guided me to my room and gave me a tour. Each staff person, throughout my visit, greeted me upon sight and asked, in a sincere tone, whether I was enjoying my stay. Anyone I asked was able to guide me on property or off. My housekeeper referred me to an efficient and modestly priced barber in town. I felt safe and that all of my needs were met.

This facility is a lovely one and designed perfectly for easy movement from the rooms to the pool and beach. Both are within very comfortable walking distance. There are multiple swimming pools and lounging areas. There is a hot tub and access to a limited (in diameter) but lovely stretch of beach.

I did not dine at the hotel because it was more expensive than other options. Instead, I walked across the street to the marketplace for modestly priced dining (many dinner entrees were available for less than $20). Lots of options for colorful cocktails and even free live music on the square at night.

To go into town, I took the vans labeled “public bus” that I could catch during the day in front of the nearby police station. The fee was $1.50. Bus drivers picked up near drop off points throughout the day.

My best dining and entertainment experiences were at Irie’s, a restaurant adjacent to the hotel grounds with a tastefully bright tropical décor. The classy setting, warm and friendly service and homestyle food were enhanced by the musical presence of Edwyn. With the help of expertly used electronics, he presented sweet, smooth jazz instrumentals with light vocals. The music referenced favorite 70s R&B tunes (think Stevie Wonder, Anita Baker). The added spice was an occasional Caribbean tune. It inspired relaxation and some dancing!

There were representatives available all day to help plan excursions like boat trips, parasailing and dolphin swims. I am a lounger and spent most of my time walking or relaxing on the beach or by the pool. Overall, this is a well-managed property designed to create wonderful vacation experience with no logistical concerns. It’s easy to have a wonderful time at the Grand Lucayan whatever your vacation style.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that overlook a building with noisy machinery. Avoid this if view matters to y...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank Sheryltravels

Reviewed December 7, 2011

You must keep in mind this hotel is in the Bahamas and the ratings might reflect as such. I expect more out of a hotel in say, Washington DC than Freeport. However, check in was pretty easy, the lobby was very nice. First impression of the room was the musty, moist smell. The A/C was not very fundtional and we had to have it doen to 65 the whole time to keep it cool enough to sleep. The fixtures in the bathroom were wobbly and felt they might come loose at any time. There are many bars/restaurants on the grounds and it is very close to the Port Lucaya were all the bars and restaurants are-walking distance for sure. Also the casino is very close.
You must be made aware that they already tack on 15% tip on everything at the hotel!! This is a shame for the staff in my family's case because we are generally 20% tippers. When asked about this, staff would answer that it works out better for them having the 15% mandatory because of all the northern tourist or Canadians who tip porley. Unfortunatley, the staff don't have to impress for their 15% so some are surley or rude. The staff will get ill sometimes when you don't tack on any more to the 15% too! I find the staff at these facilties,(Freeport, Nassau) are generally more grumpy than the locals on the Out Islands anyway. I think they are just tired of rude tourist. There were some very friendly staff though.
We were lucky enough to have booked a good deal via Vision Airlines so we didn't pay much for air-fare.
The room wwas booked at $109.00 per night but beware- they tack on QUITE A BIT in taxes and resort fees!!! Be sure to ask about this when booking so you wont be suprised, it was close to $40 more a night!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank CoralRives
Reviewed December 6, 2011

this hotel totally exceeded my expectations. we have been to freeport twice this year but only via cruises, and the last time we were there, we decided it would be nice to stay at this hotel....it was incredible this time around. the hotel is absolutely gorgeous and very well maintained. it is very clean, the views are insane and the staff is wonderful all around. the market across the street is soooo convienent and we ate there multiple times (although we actually got cheaper deals in the hotel gift shop and hotel restaurants). highly recommend Zorbas greek restaurant....incredible...we requested an ocean view, but actually got an island view, with a balcony that was about as large as the room itself! complete with lounge chairs and a table...if i could have moved the king bed onto the balcony (because it would have fit), i would have slept out there....the best part was that we had direct and easy access to the beach/pool from our room without having to walk all the way through the property (as in some resorts Ive been to), and there was a starbucks right in the building next to ours....i CANNOT wait to go back there!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank Sinme1
PublicRelationsGrand, Public Relations Manager at Grand Lucayan, Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

Thank you for your kind review Mdieguez. We are glad that you had a fantastic time. We look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

My husband and I only had a short time to vacation so we chose a 4 day stay at Grand Lucayan in Freeport, Bahamas. The hotel did not get the message that we needed a Handicap room so the front desk person went out of her way and upgraded us to a Suite. We had reserved an Ocean View room. It was absolutely First Class ! There was a spacious Living room, Dining room with table for 8, Half bath,Kitchenette with everything but stove & dishwasher, Comfy generous size bed,Large closet in a Great bathrooom with tub/shower combo and walk-in shower with a bath bench added for my husband's comfort.The Balcony spanned all 3 rooms with an outer door from each.

Everything was within walking distance - pools, beach, giant Chess set, Casino, Convenience stores,restaurants, shopping. Port Lucaya Marketplace is literally across the street ! At the beach there were many water sports available to rent - water trampoline,jet skis, Hobie cats, snorkeling, Parasailing, glass-bottom boats, etc,

We had great salads at Iries and the breakfast buffett at Willy Broadleaf's was wonderful. By far the best was the Conch Chowder we ordered from Room Service ! We were not crazy abut the hamburgers we ordered at Hammerhead's beach bar (swim up while in the pool).

The peacefulness and fantastic service were outstanding. I truly hope we can return soon and bring friends and family with us.

Room Tip: Positively go for the Ocean View rooms on a higher floor - you will be glad you did
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BARB T
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We are here right now for our second time and plan to return again and again. Wi-Fi is free and even works on the beach. Friendly staff, clean rooms, market place across the street with great restaurants and shopping. Want to relax...best place to come.

• Stayed: November 2011
6  Thank TheKuesters

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon TheKuesters. We are always delighted to hear when guests have a great time and continue to join us. You are well on your way to becoming honorary Bahamians!

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Grand lucayan is amazing. The sand is white, water is clear, food is good and the rooms are clean and well appointed. We do two vacations a year and this is by far one of the nicest places we have been. We have two daughters age 9 and 1 and the hotel has all the amenities needed along with enough activities to please everyone. We upgraded to a suite which is highly recommendable if u have more than one child. The suite is beautiful with plenty of space and Oceanside amazing views. Don't think too hard about this one folks. It's a winner.

• Stayed: December 2011
6  Thank Occan75
Reviewed November 30, 2011

The hotel was fantastic lots of things to do there and neaby. I took a cruise there and would skip that part and fly directly there. The staff is excellent and a market right across the street. Grate fun and I cannot wait to go again.

Room Tip: ask for a upgrade.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank uncletub

Thank you for your review Uncletub. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
#1 of 1 in West End
Island Seas Resort
Island Seas Resort
#12 of 14 in Freeport

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!