“Had my wedding here! And I cant say enough good things about this hotel and their staff!!!”

Grand Lucayan, Bahamas
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Now let me start by staying they rate this hotel as 4 stars. It is not a 4 star resort. It has 3 star accommodations with 4 star amenities. The grounds are absolutely beautiful for this resort. The beach and the water very pretty. The pools are exceptional and very clean. They have plenty of water sports to do for a fee but they prices arent too bad. The location is excellent. It is directly across the street from the marketplace which has plenty of nightlife and cool little shops and more reasonable priced restaurants. But remember you are in the islands....and things cost more. The rooms are average but kept very clean and the rooms do have the Westins heavenly beds so they are really comfortable! The common areas are beautiful and have free WiFi. And there is plenty of security around the resort for your safety. This resort was loved by all 40 of my guests and alot of them want to go back as soon as they can!

I used the spa for my hair and nails on the day of my wedding and my bridesmaid got their hair done there as well. The spa is defiantly in need of some TLC and it is a little pricey even for the islands but the employees are wonderful and they really do a great job. My nails were done 3 weeks ago today and they still look great. And my hair dresser new exactly how to do my hair even with the humidity of the islands. And it looked great and lasted all night too!!!!

As for the wedding itself this place made the day as perfect as I could have ever imagined. From the flowers and decorations they used to on the gazebo as well as the areas where the reception and cocktail hour were being held, to the catering staff this hotel does top notch work. The catered meals were as good to look as they tasted and their wait and bar staff were equally as good. They kept drinks flowing all night long without missing a beat. They have plenty of places to choice from to get married at as well as plenty of different rooms to suite your taste and party size. And they will bend over backwards to get the job done for you the way you want it to be done! You just have to ask!!!!

In summery do not hesitate to book a trip to this wonderful resort and please keep it in mind if you need a place to do a conference or destination wedding. Its a great location with wonderful people and facilities. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Research and compare.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SteelCity13
Write a ReviewReviews (3,023)

Reviewed April 25, 2011

My wife, our 7 year old son & I traveled to the resort for a few nights of rest & relaxation. Beginning as soon as we walked into the lobby, we were greeted warmly by every staff person we came in contact with over those few days. Our reservation was for a lower floor in the main resort building, but when we checked in I asked about upgrading. We paid a little extra to upgrade to an oceanview king room with a rollaway on the 7th floor and WHAT A VIEW! The ocean water was crystal clear, the sand soft, the pools (although they were 4ft deep) were clean and refreshing. The beach bar had some nice drink specials and some inventive flavors...we sampled a few of them.
There were too many activities to choose from....which is a good thing. We chose jet skiing. The market area across the street has some interesting characters. From Walter, an extra in The Pirates of the Caribbean who makes things out of palm leaves & branches, to the nightly "Caribbean Style" entertainers in the square, to the hard working vendors selling their novelties & souvenirs.
There are a variety of restaurants and types of food to chose from for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Definately visit Zorba's. The Starbucks in the lobby provided their usual fare.
My son enjoyed snorkeling along the shore with about 10 very large rays. That's something you'd find out about if you visit the restaurant next door.
I could go on & on about our visit, but we WILL return again. We all absolutely loved the Radisson Our Lucaya Resort, the staff (Alex our bellman) and wish we had a few more days to spend there.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Doogie48
Reviewed April 24, 2011

The resort to me was very nice, but there are some areas or departments of the resort that needs to be more customer service savy. The location is excellent close to the shops and a variety of dining options.The service of the bell staff was great as it relates to greeting the guest upon arrival. The front desk agents were on point and quite fast and efficient upon check in.The housekeeping department did an excellent job of keeping the room clean with fresh towels and sheets daily. Not to mention the use of guest names any time I made a call to the operator, completely blew me away. However the only problems or disappointments about my stay was lack of professionalism and lack of customer service within your security department. Upon checking in the first night the security stationed at the elevators asked where we were going, I had a problem with that because it was asked in an abrasive tone, not to mention we were the only persons asked this question among every other guest present. Maybe it was because we were of a darker complexion than all the other guest. I have no problem with him doing his job as he is placed there for that purpose, but there are ways to say and do things especially in the service industry. Had he just asked to see our room key, I would have had no problem complying with his request, eventhough I would have known why he asked. After spending $220.00 dollars a night to be harrassed by security is unacceptable in my view and not only on one occasion, after that experience we encountered another rude security officer at the front door who went to the extent of using profanity as I entered the property after hours returning to my room. Your resort is nice but your security needs training in customer service.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dranaldo
Reviewed April 19, 2011

The service at the hotel was great even before I arrived. I contacted the hotel prior to my arrival and they were vey helpful. The room was great we had a wonderful view of the beach and the landscape it was breaktaking.
The location of hotel was perfect walking distance to the Port Lucaya marketplace and restaurants. I loved that the hotel was a resort everything you needed was on property. I would stay at this location again.

Room Tip: The view from the balcony was worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2011

This was our fifth trip in six years. First time staying at the Radisson (use to be Westin). We use to stay at the Sheraton (now closed, connected to the Radisson). We like the pool areas, location to beach and location to different restaurants. We did the couples massage, 80 minutes, $275 (we enjoyed it). We rented two mopeds for 24 hrs ($100, located across street from hotel) and visited a couple of our favorite isolated beaches. One of which is at Bishops Point (or Place), about 35 miles one way from the Radisson. Bishops' has a small hut/bar on the beach and a small restaurant 25 yards away. Rarely do we see no more then 2-3 people visiting at one time (it's a hole in the wall with great views/location to beach and water). We hang out there for four hours or so (beers are $4, cocktails $4-$5, conch fritters $6, various fish platters, hamburgers, prices run from $4-$20). One day, we rented a catamaran/sail with 8 or 9 other couples (about $80 per couple....negotiated price) We also snorkeled off the boat and just kicked back and relaxed (smoked a cigar, beers were $3 each, bottled water $1, on board).

The landscaping is beautiful. The pool areas are clean. Just a great all around location. The main theme there...is to relax, kick back and be patient....don't expect your food orders to be like a fast food drive thru....the employees take their time. Is this a problem? Depends on your perspective.....if your expecting fast service, you'll be disappointed.....if your expecting moderate to slow service, then you'll be fine. We ate at "Willy Broadleafs", located directly below our hotel room (five floors below), for three of our breakfasts (buffet style, no wait). Full breakfast buffet was $14.99 a person....total of $34 for two, including the automatic 15% gratuity. Fresh egg orders prepared for you on the spot....good overall food selections...with views of the pool area and ocean area. Can also obtain breakfast across the street at the Lucaya shops & restaurants area....Zorba's is a good choice for breakfast, lunch, dinner...$6-$20 per entree plus automatic 15% gratuity. Basically this was a "convention type" trip for us, where are hotel/air fare is paid for and included two dinners paid for. I brought $1200 dollars and came back with $400 (spent $800 for the spa, moped, sailing/snorkeling, beer and eating for three full days/four nights).

I would like to comment on the over all service in the Bahamas, including the Radisson. Customer service...... service seemed a lot better on this trip. Security seemed to be far more prevalent than in the past (we have always felt safe....partly because there were far fewer visitors then in the past and didn't see that many locals milling around the property and nearby beaches). I "get the comments" regarding slow & poor service but...I think it is unreasonable to expect USA type of service from people born/raised in the Bahamas. Has it been a problem? Yes....but things seem better. I do think the the Radisson Corporation needs to seriously RE-TRAIN their front desk staff in the lobby of their Port Lucaya Radisson location. Most of the front desk lobby employees are clueless about what it means to smile, be friendly & just plain clueless about their job.

The golden rule certainly applies here....I greeted each local/employer with a smile and "good morning, good afternoon, good evening and I received the same vibe back from them. I think sometimes people go there and just demand and order people around without so much of a kind word and guess what? the locals return the favor. Perspective.

I like this place because it is less crowded, doesn't have a lot of touristy type places all over the area. It's laid back. I would encourage anybody to rent a car or moped and go explore the different beach areas and take chill pill and bring money). Your not going to Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach.....your going to an island located 100+ miles away from the US....things will cost more there. Do your research before going.

Room Tip: Research places to go, places to eat and prices.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
9  Thank CCSJ
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Our ocean-front suite at the Radisson offered large, sun-filled rooms, each with its own terrace, with a view of the pool and the beach. It was spotlessly clean, with a very serviceable kitchenette, a large bath with separate tub and stall shower, and a spacious living room with pull-out couch for our teenaged son. The bedroom and the living room each had a television. Service was very friendly, and there were many dining options - both on-site and across the street at the Port Lucaya Marketplace.

Although we were hesitant about staying at a mega-hotel, it seems that the compound effects of several damaging hurricanes years ago, and the dwindling economy, have left the hotel and the whole island on the quiet side - a plus for us, altho not for them. The hotel population varies with the arrival of large cruise ships at Freeport Harbor, from which some guests come to the Radisson for the day or for overnight - but the place is certainly big enough to absorb the influx.

There are also plenty of watersports available (for an extra fee) on the grounds - jet skis, banana boating, parasailing, etc. And the concierge will arrange off-site tours to the island's attractions - Garden of the Groves, golf courses, Lucayan National Park, snorkel tours to Peterson Cay, etc.

The hotel's location is GREAT - on the beach; across the street from the island's hub, the Lucaya Marketplace; and opposite Port Lucaya, which offers many sailing excursions plus diving opportunities at UNEXCO.

The only caution I would offer regards price - read the fine print to be sure of the total cost of your room. This pertains to most hotels here, not just the Radisson. Hotel taxes are high, and there are daily fees (for example, a "resort fee") that can add up quickly.

Room Tip: Get ocean-front, on a high floor for a clear view.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2011

The hotel was clean with a professional and courteous staff. The surprise was how much was closed. After talking with several locals, I estimate the hotel is less than half full. Enitire sections of the hotel and pools were closed. Loved the people. Had a great stay. Hope business improves. Take the 4 hr bus tour of the caves and go to the bon fire a night.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 9th flr ocean view - Stunning!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freeport
Bell Channel Inn
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive
Old Bahama Bay
Old Bahama Bay
#1 of 1 in West End

Been to Grand Lucayan, Bahamas? Share your experiences!