“Extraordinary meal; what a treat!”

Flying Fish GastroBar
Ranked #1 of 121 Restaurants in Freeport
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Relaunched December 2017 after extensive renovations, Flying Fish is now Flying Fish Gastro Bar. The best restaurant on Grand Bahama has been rebranded! Flying Fish Gastro Bar focuses on quality food & drink in a comfortable atmosphere with a desire to serve the community.
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Flying Fish is the restaurant on the island to go if you want to be treated to an extraordinary meal by a very friendly and attentive staff. The restaurant is very pricey, but was a delightful treat for my boyfriend and I. We selected the prix fixe option and had a difficult time choosing just one selection for each course. Every course that each of us had was beyond what we expected. We sat outside on the patio, very romantic. This is a must for a special evening.

1  Thank Julele

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I had the absolute pleasure of eating here on my most recent trip to Freeport. In fact I made it out 4 of 7 nights, and even for Sunday brunch because the quality and creative food on the menu was above what I have come to expect from anywhere on the island.

If you are looking for something out of the ordinary, that is creative, delicious and meticulously designed this is the place for you. The $65 four course dinner is an absolute bargain price for what you get, and do your self a favor and add the wine pairings for $30 - they are not your typical pairing and made the whole dining experience just that much better.

I won't get into much detail about the food, mostly because words can't adequately describe the dishes.

Most creative dishes I ate:
Foie gras, guava & yuzu reduction, guava sorbet, johnnycake, mustard greens

Seared yellowfin tuna, Zahtar spice, Parmesan truffle polenta fries, sauce vierge, sunflower greens

Braised octopus, rosemary sous vide potato, zahtar chick peas, red pepper emulsion, chorizo, lemon foam, black olive sponge

Best dishes I ate:
Serrano ham wrapped halibut, squid ink spaetzle, roasted sweet pepper caponata sauce, lemon air

Roasted duck breast, duck fat-fried potato, 5-spice cherry sauce, minted pea puree, spring peas

Foie Gras will make both lists. It's not typical and amazingly delicious.

Although the Duck was my favorite dish the Serrano Ham wrapped halibut was one of the best entree's I have ever eaten. Every bite of this dish just made me wish it would never end.

The desert options are all amazing. Its a toss up between chocolate and mango cheese cake for a personal favorite.

The wine list suits the restaurant well, not your typical big French and Italian wines. Rather the list is an interesting selection of reasonably priced bottles from around the world. There has definitely been much time, and tasting to put together a list that matches the creativity of the food.

If you are in Freeport / Lucaya take the time to go experience this food. It ranks among the best in the world for me (and yes I have been over 20 of the top 100 restaurants in the world). Don't go if your looking for something quick or steak and potato's (although the deconstructed wellington was brilliant). I highly recommend getting out of your comfort zone and trying things that you typically would not order when at home.

This place is a true gem of the Caribbean.

2  Thank recyclingsheep
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Definately a cut above most restaurants in Freeport in terms of ambience and food creativity. We were quite excited about the 4 course Prix Fix menu for $65 just to try a variety of the chef's creations. Amuse bouche was a main lobster salad bite w/ shaved fennel - it was tasty but the fennel was just a bit overpowering. Smoked salmon first course was just a bit too smoky for my taste, but my husband enjoyed it. Trio of tarter - salmon w/ creme fraiche, beef with arugula and yellowfin tuna was beautifully presented but the tuna was a bit on the spicy side and left my tongue burning. Yellowfin tuna with polenta fries and a micro green salad was just delicious. Braised octopus with a black olive sponge had fairly good flavor but the color of the overall plating was a little off-putting. Chocolate dessert: cake, mousse, disk w/ raspberry chili sorbet was absolutely the best part of the meal. I understand high reviews for the creativity but we didn't think that the actual meal was quite as impressive.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We have been there for brunch, lunch and dinner and the food has always been outstanding. The menu changes regularly so there is always something new and interesting. Our 13 and 11 year old boys who love to try new foods get jealous when we go there without them!

2  Thank Andre F
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I just completed moderating a panel on the branded food experience in Las Vegas.. Now I come back to my favorite retreat and visit for dinner this past friday night, Flying Fish and all I can say i" its an 11" on the charts.. Food was wonderfully prepared and presented. Front of house service cannot be any better. The menu will have something for everyone. They have added a bar menu outside with a beautiful view of the canal and sea.. I love this restaurant and Flying Fish is at the top of our list and we will celebratre our date nights at this one of a kind beautiful restaruant.. Chef Tim you have out done your self and I am so happy to see Rebecca and annette greeting your guests and making them feel the entire food experience. I loved it all as did my husband Mark Tenner.. Lisa Tenner

1  Thank lisa t