“Friendly Resort, Nice Rooms”

Freeport Resort & Club
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Hopewell Junction, NY
“Friendly Resort, Nice Rooms”
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Freeport in January. We read the reviews before we went so I was prepared for a bad experience and we got the opposite. We had a great time at the resort. Now keep in mind these are timeshares (like condos) not a 5 star hotel. Our room was spacious, clean and had a great kitchen stocked with plates, utensils, pans etc. The timeshare owners (ones that own units at the Freeport Resort) are so friendly. They come right up to you and introduce themselves and love to learn about the new people in the resort. They are also a great resource on where to go on the island. There were many days and nights were my husband and I sat in the hot tub and chatted with different timeshare owners. The pool is small but perfect for lounging and the hot tubs were great.

I highly recommend renting a car. This resort is not right on the beach but they will provide transportation to the super market and to area beaches etc but we enjoyed the freedom of being able to go anywhere we want. It was easy to navigate around the island and find all the beaches and driving was easy even at night. I recommend introducing yourself to and getting to know Billy who works at the resort. He will give you plenty of recommendations on where to go, where to eat and he makes a mean Bahama Mama. Every recommendation that Billy gave us was spot on and we always had a good experience.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Belgrade, ME
Reviewed February 18, 2009

My husband and I recently traded our timeshare for a stay at FR&C for our honeymoon, and we absolutely loved our stay. Unfortunately, we picked one of the coldest weeks in Bahamian history to visit, but we still had an amazing time, thanks in large part to the staff at the resort. No, this is not a luxury resort, but we knew that going into the vacation. It is, however, a great place to stay if you want to have a relaxing vacation and if you like to get to know your resort staff and fellow guests, which we do. The resort's landscaping is beautiful, the pool is heated and hot tub is nice and roomy. We saved a lot of money by cooking our own breakfasts, lunches, and some dinners. Our kitchen was stocked with everything we needed to cook our meals, and the resort offered convenient shuttle runs all week to the grocery store, as well as complimentary rides to and pickup from Xanadu beach. FR&C is an easy walk to the Ruby Swiss restaurant (where you MUST have the Steak Diana), to the Silk Cafe (a breakfast place), and to the International Bazaar and a movie theater. It is close to Port Lucaya (beaches, casino, watersports, marketplace, dining, etc.) and horseback riding. Definitely sign up for the traditional Bahamian dinner Tuesday night prepared by Rose and Rochelle. It was delicious! FR&C offers happy hour several evenings a week where you can get drinks and snacks from the grill. There are also tennis courts, bike rentals, a volleyball court, and two large trampolines. You can access you e-mail and make phone calls at the check-in area. The staff are incredibly helpful, friendly, and go the extra mile to make your stay pleasant. They will book any tour for you, call you a taxi, or arrange for a car rental. We had an amazing vacation and will definitely go back and stay at FR&C again!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed December 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed for a week at the Freeport Resort and Club through our timeshare exchange. Our stay was nice and not as bad as some of the reviews I read before going. There are good and bad points as there is with anywhere you stay. Our room was clean and spacious for the two of us. The kitchen was well stocked with cooking utensils, pans, etc. The bed was alittle firm but not noticably so until halfway through the week. We had to jiggle the toilet handle to get the toilet to fill. We were on the road side and could hear the traffic at night while trying to sleep but after a few rum punch, you didn't notice it as much. The pool was alittle small but big enough for the few people that used it and it was heated which was really nice. The hot tub was nice, a couple of nights a bit too hot. The best part of the resort is the guy named Billy who works there. He went out of his way to make sure you were having a good time and offered to take you places for a small fee, cheaper than the taxis. We rented a car but did take a ride with Billy a couple of nights to avoid driving at night. You can walk to Ruby Swiss and a couple of other good restaurants from the resort. They have nice tennis courts which we meant to use but never found the time too. Lucaya is a short 15 minute drive from there to do shopping, casino and other restaurants. Smiling Pat gives a tour package orientation at the resort on Sunday. There were 10 of us that signed up for the package, half of us were happy but others were not. She took us to very secluded beaches and we were the only ones there, very beautiful. The places she took us to were a good drive about 45 - 60 minutes but worth the time in travel. I doubt if you could get a taxi to take you there and if you did, it would cost a fortune. Her helper Blass is very personable and does his best to make sure you are having fun. Her package was $275 pp for three days with a few extra bucks spent for lunch two days but we agreed we would have spent more money on entertainment such as parasailing, jet ski, etc if we had not done her package. We were able to kayak, ride bikes, ride a boat and do some fishing in her package. We drove ourselves and another couple to a secluded beach called Bishop's in High Rock and had a fabulous time. We are thinking about staying there our next visit. There are only 7 rooms which would make an awesome family reunion on a secluded beach. He has a very well priced restaurant with great food and a tiki bar on the beach. He also rents chairs for $5 a day. He has a few friendly dogs that walk the beach with you to keep you company. We drove to Lucaya Park which is secluded and beautiful as well. The only downfall of our trip is that the water was too chilly to snorkel (for us, others did). Overall, we had a great time and met some nice people.

• Liked — Billy, the guy who worked there
  • Disliked — Had to jiggle the toilet
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MicheleMaryland
West Redding, Connecticut
Reviewed April 16, 2008

We recently purchased 2 weeks of timeshares at this resort... sight unseen. When we arrived for our first time in Jan 2008 we were not disappointed. We got exectly what we were told to expect. A cozy, secluded, small and private resort in Freeport. If you have a pack of energetic, social teenagers DO NOT GO HERE!. If you are looking for a quiet relaxaing place to kick back and unwind DO NOT GO ELSWHERE. Rent a car... you will need it. A 10 minute drive to Lucaya and all the action and lots of really great restaurants. The resort is not new, but is kept in good condition and is very clean. The pool is very small but is immaculate and heated. Our 1 bedroom unit will easily sleep 5 people, 2 in the large bedroom with king-size bed and 2 on the pull-out queen sleeper sofa in the living room. A single fold-away bed is also provided in the very large walk-in closet, with lots of extra bedding and towels. A full and completely equipped kitchen and adequate bathroom. The staff is very helful regarding any request and very friendy. We expect to enjoy many more weeks at this facility for years to come.

• Liked — Peaceful and quiet for relaxation and unwinding, sunning and touring.
  • Disliked — Pool is a little small
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank edwardh_8
Palos Hills
Reviewed March 30, 2008

This was a timeshare exchange for us with Interval International. Our list of problems is quite long. Every other resort that we have stayed at has a beautiful lobby to begin with. This place had none, You just walk into an old dingy, dirty looking messy room that is not staffed and basically fend for yourself. There is no conceirge so you have to figure things out for yourself, make your own reservations, call your own cabs,etc. They have a grocery run 2 or 3 times per week at a certain time only, if you miss that run you are out of luck. There is not one vending machine for water, soda , snacks etc. at the resort. I couldn't believe it . You are completely screwed if you happen to be at an activity on the island and miss this run.A MAJOR problem here is lack of staff . There is a small lounge area by the pool that could have been staffed with even ONE person to sell water, soda, snacks, etc. There is also no restaurant on site. Sure, you can catch a cab, but for a family of four, that is $40.00 round trip every time you leave the resort, and you have to leave often because NOTHING is here. If you are looking to cook, clean and fend for yourself your entire vacation, then this is the place for you. The golf courses are closed, the International Bazaar is closed and the Casino nearby is also closed. The owners evidently took the money and left after the last hurricane. When they were open, you could easily walk over to them. That probably was very nice, but again, they are CLOSED, so you are out of luck.There is a happy hour from 4-6, but only on Friday. Also one breakfast is offered,but again only on Sunday, what about every other weekday? Also, plan on bringing your own hair dryer as there isn't one in the unit and plan on washing your own towels because they won't give you any extra if you run out, I asked for a few more late in the week and I was told that I could wash them at the laundry. Also plan on cleaning your unit because they only will clean it one time if you are staying longer than a week. I will admit that it was very quiet there and nice for resting, keeping in mind that the average guest was in their high 70's-80's. We checked out other resorts on the island for dinner, activities , etc. and would probably return some day, but never to this resort. I know that some people wouldn't mind being totally self-sufficient, but for one week per year I want to be a little pampered, that's why it's called a vacation, you are getting away from all that is the norm in your life. Come to the Bahamas, it really is a beautiful place, just be very careful where you stay and ask lots of questions before you come. Call the resort in advance and ask questions.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Kandy8945

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Boston
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Recently returned from spending a week at The Freeport Resort & Club (our third visit) and had a very relaxing, enjoyable time.

Although the units are not as "glitzy and flashy" as many other island resorts, we enjoy staying there because of the friendly staff and also because you can walk around day or night without being surrounded by loud crowds of "rowdy vacationers" who come looking for the typical bar scene that you can get in any hotel. The units are large and always clean.

The beach that they take you to daily is very clean and not crowded----if you want the "spring break college crowd" you would more likely want to go to the Lucaya area.

As far as restaurants, we usually go out to eat a few nights and visit the casino, but spend most nights cooking our own food outside, sipping on cocktails, meeting other people visiting, and enjoying the great weather.

We travel to many places each year and although this is less fancy than most of them-----we always look forward to coming back.

Stayed December 2007
6 Thank dwburks
Frederiksted, St. Croix
Reviewed December 30, 2007

I took my 3 younger children, 6-12yrs old. When our taxi arrived at the resort I simply wanted to cry! The "resort" is in such a state of disrepair! I don't know what the owner: Jack Grabowski is doing with the maintance fees, but he's definetly not using them for any sort of up keep on the "resort." (I have put " " around the word resort, because it's called a resort but it should be called a nightmare!) EVERYTHING IS OUTDATED. The "resort" claims to have a bar, well the "bar" is only open 4-6pm for "happy hour" and only serves a choice of two drinks; one a beer the other a poorly concockted bahama mama! You can buy 2 for $5, don't waste a dime, it's not worth it. Also, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do at this "resort", except for the pool; which by the way is very small! I would not reccomend this "resort" to ANYONE! I could not wait until my vacation was over! The staff is VERY nice and THIS is the ONLY thing the "resort" has going for it! I wish that I had stayed at a different resort, for example the Wyndham Fortuna Resort, Freeport Yacht Club Resort, and there are several other resorts on Grand Bahama, that you would without any doubt enjoy much better! Also beware of the "activities planner," Pam, she talks up all of these tours and makes them sound great, ( I didn't go on any of these tours so I can't say anything about them except:) to do all of the tours she talks up, the price is: $375.00 per person. I found this to be quite unreasonable. If my 3 children and my self had taken this "deal" it would of cost us: $1500.00, what a rip off! However if you do decide to go to this "resort," and sit in the room while Pam talks up these tours, look around the room count how many people are in the room and times that by the:$375.00, and then ask yourself, in addition to this amount , as well as the maintance fees, why does this "resort" look in such the state that it does. Because they're definetly pulling in quite a bit amoney. Oh, I almost forgot, there is a $35.00 energy charge you must pay at time of check in! I couldn't help but to continue to add up all of the fees of all sorts up and then multiple them by the number of people at the resort and then consider approximately how many people visit this "resort" each week...WHERE IS ALL THE MONEY GOING? I was told the owner of the "resort," Jack Grabowski lives on-site at the resort. So I could only assume he sits back and collects all of these fees, then pays his very small number of staff, and laughs all the way to the bank with the truck load of the remaining funds!

• Liked — Leaving the
  • Disliked — The
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family