“Great for resting”

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Surfside Beach, SC
Reviewed December 6, 2004

My wife and I have been going to Island Seas for the last 6 years. It has grown, and has growing pains, but the personnel are ever so gracious. Have never had any problem. My wife got hurt one day and they had someone take us to the local hospital, and wait for us to come back.

I am only sorry that I have buy three weeks to give to the place. It is really nice. You can travel by the local bus which comes to the end of the street that Island Seas is located on.

You are missing something if you just stay in either Freeport or Lucya

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed December 5, 2004

just got back from 7 day stay we had exchanged for thru Interval International. The resort is beautiful, and the rooms were well maintained with maid service every day at no additional costs, as with some other resorts. The location is somewhat out of the way, requiring shuttle or taxis to get around - or you couldd rent a car at $55 - 65 a day. The last shuttle from the resort is 5:45 p.m., to Lucaya, and returning from Lucaya the last one is 4:30 p.m. We signed up for a sunset steak and lobster dinner cruise, only to learn wheb we got on the boat that the dinner cruise was combined with the booze cruise. We feel the tour desk person shoukd have told us this up front, because the booze cruise crowd was , well, a booze cruise crowd, and many of us who just wanted the quiet dinner cruise were disappointed when we found ourselves in the midst of a bunch of drunks.

Now, for the bad response to problems in our unit, our safe did not work and like another reviewer, we went to the desk the first four days to report it and were told it would be fixd, and one day we were told it had been fixed, but it never was. Also, our phone line went dead on the second day of our stay, and it too was never fixed. When i expressed concern about what might happen if one of us got sick in the middle of the night and needed to call for help, I was told "You don't come to the Bahamas to get sick!"

But all in all we had a good time but i don't think i would stay there again.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 5, 2004

My husband, mother, father and I went here in August 2004. I have never been treated so rudely by anyone in my entire life. The customer doesn't come first at Island Seas or anywhere in the Bahamas for that matter. I was shocked where people on this website said you just have to "relax", "go with the flow", "be nice", etc. If I am paying hard earned money to go somewhere on vacation, I expect to be treated with some respect. I don't go on vacation to "suck up" to people who I am PAYING for good service. It should be the other way round. I felt that the people in the Bahamas were very rude and just like the thugs who live in any inner city. Believe it or not, this paradise is over run by Bahamian natives in their low rider cars with spinning rims, wanna be rappers and their thumping rap music. If I wanted to see that crap, I could have went to any random city here in the U.S. and looked for the bad part of town. They tried to rip us off by putting us in a room across the street from the beach even though we had a WRITTEN confirmation that was booked in FEBRUARY. This was August people. We booked our reservation 6 months in advance so this wouldn't be a problem. They said there were no ocean view rooms available. We said "what about our written confirmation". They basically said they didn't have to honor it, there was no such thing as a Better Business Bureau here and that they could do what they wanted to. Then the witch at the front desk starts YELLING to my husband that he needs to "Respect" her. Please! Well, he told them he wasn't leaving the lobby until he got the room he reserved. So, 2 hours later he was still standing at the front desk demanding our room. Magically, after he started telling other people who were checking in about our bad experience and even had one elderly lady tell the front desk staff that they should be "ashamed of themselves" our room appeared before our eyes. Turned out that they did have one available for us after all. So, it will either take money under the table or standing your ground to get the room you reserved. To give them a tad bit of credit, we stayed here 2 years ago and had no problems. Apparently, U.S. tourists have rubbed off on them or something because they are a lot worse than any "Ugly American" I have ever seen! And to think we get a bad rap for traveling abroad. If they came to the U.S. and acted like they treated us, they would be cursed out and/or have the crap beat out of them! Beware of Island Seas. You have been warned!

• Stayed: August 2004
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 1, 2004

My Husband and I stayed 10 days.and had a great time. It is true that they do seem to not treat you with respect if you do not want to buy a time share. This seems to be what it's all about for them to sell. I am a member for the last fiveyears. At first they never seem to be too friendly or maybe being under the queen for so long this was what they were taught. "TO BEEN SEEN AND NOT HEARD". I have gotten used to their ways which seem to be some what shy.which could be caused to being under the queens control for so long. I have notice such a change in in the last two years. The workers are much more friendly and actually go out of their way to speak to me as they pass me daily. There was a survey taken a couple of years ago stating the people thought their customer service was extreamly poor. The prim Minister has made it a rule that if they could not chang their ways of "the customer comes first" then they would not be able to keep a job in Freeport. This information was related to me by a person who has worked for the resort for four years.
They have been trying to work on this change and I myself have seen lots of improvement, however there is still a ways to go.

I just returned today Dec1 2004. The beach it just a bit rockey then before the hurricans but they are working on things daily. I thought It was going to be still a mess from the Hurricans but they seem to be making great progress in clearing and re-building the places for us to still enjoy and have intertainment nightly.

My trip was wonderful and meet great people to have fun with. One thing I know for sure is if you are a fun and friendly person you will make your vacation one to remember. Let loose and enjoy, make your own vacation an experience to remember as great times and fun.

4  Thank alidawalton
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed November 26, 2004

Just returned from spending Thanksgiving week at the Island Seas Resort. I exchanged into the resort through Interval International. I went to the Island Seas Resort to relax and overall I had a good time. The resort attracts families, couples, singles. It is well maintained and the units are comfortable and well-equipped. I had a one bedroom unit and it had everything I needed. Most of the accomodations are in buildings set up in a horseshoe formation, with the units looking on to the pool, bar and restaurant area that are located in the middle. There are two buildings with ocean views, but the front desk said that ocean views were reserved for Island Seas timeshare owners. There are a couple of other buildings across the stree, but I would avoid these, since they have no view. The buildings are three stories high and there's no elevator. The units all have balconies with plastic chairs and a small table (for drinks).

The pool area is nice, but the pool was ice cold (but you get used to it). There's only one restaurant - Cocanuts. It is an open-air restaurant (more like a beach cafe) and it's next to the bar (there's only one bar). Cocanuts has a limited menu but the food was fine and service was good to. A 15% service charge is automatically included on the bar and restaurant bill. The bartenders made the drinks good and strong and the prices were reasonable, especially during the 2 for 1 happy hour (4-6pm daily). You'll probably get tired of the restaurant food quickly. I'd recommend eating in Port Lucaya where there are a number of reasonably priced restaurants to choose from. If you want a good and inexpensive breakfast or lunch, try Zorbas. If you want to taste some island food try the International Restaurant. It's next to the drop off/pick up point for Island Seas shuttle bus.

The Island Seas resort is on the beach and they're the only resort on that stretch of beach. The beach was fine and relatively quiet. The shoreline is rocky, but after you get past the first couple of feet the bottom of the sea is all sand. You have to walk out a ways before it gets deep enough to swim, so it's safe for children. The rocky shoreline is apparently the result of the hurricane. You can rent jet skis, take banana boat rides, take scuba lessons or just swim. There are plenty of beach chairs, but only a couple of small palm trees for shade.

The resort is in a somewhat out of the way location. If you don't have a car (which I didn't) you can hop the free shuttle that the hotel provides into Port Lucaya. From Port Lucaya you can then take a local bus for $1 to the International Bazaar (more shopping and restaurants if Port Lucaya isn't enough for you), Winn Dixie (supermarket) or elsewhere. Taxis are another option. It costs $19 each way to/from the airport and $10 each way to/from Port Lucaya. Otherwise you'll need to rent a car. The hotel runs a free shuttle every monday at 1pm to the Winn Dixie supermarket. However, I heard some people complaining that they had to power shop because they were only given 1 hour in there. One of the things that you can do to reduce your food shopping is to take a few things with you -- e.g. sugar, coffee, canned milk, cereal, etc. or even pack some perishables into a cooler -- meat, cheese, etc. Some guests complained that food was expensive in Winn Dixie.

The resort has a tour desk that will set up your tours. I took a 2 hour catamaran snorkeling tour with Reef tours, which I'd recommend ($45 but you can get a 10% discount using the coupon in the "What to Do" tourist book that I picked up at the airport. There are also coupons in there for other tours). Other people I met highly recommended the kayak tour and snorkeling at paradise cove.

Now for the downside at Island Seas Resort. While I had a good time overall, there are various aspects of their service that really need improvement. At the 4pm check in time, there were a number of people (myself included) whose rooms were not ready and we had to wait 30 minutes or more. The front desk people didn't seem to know which rooms were ready and kept saying they were trying to get hold of housekeeping. I understand their problem, because the few times that I called housekeeping they never picked up the phone. The biggest problem I had was the broken safe in my room. I went to the front desk four days in a row to remind them to fix the safe. Every day I was told that it would be fixed, but it never was. While housekeeping did a good job overall in keeping the unit clean, there were a couple of problems. When I returned one day from the beach I couldn't take a shower because housekeeping had taken all of the towels and hadn't replaced them. It took two calls to the front desk (because housekeeping never answered the phone) and a wait of over 2.5 hours before I finally got towels. When I checked in, I noticed that the two plastic chairs and table on the balcony had a lot of bird poop on them. These were never cleaned. Fortunately, I didn't have a burning desire to hang out on the balcony otherwise I would have cleaned them myself, since housekeeping obviously wasn't going to do this. Finally, it appears that the resort only has one bellman. So, unless you want a lengthy wait be prepared to carry all of your luggage yourself.

• Stayed: November 2004
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 20, 2004

We had a harbor view which was beautiful and not as noisy as the poolside views. The room was immaculately cleaned every day, spacious, well designed and decorated. The people at the resort were extremely friendly and went out of their way to help us. We arrived late because of weather delays, the hotel became concerned and called my home! There were plenty of shuttles going everywhere but we rented a car because we like to explore. We never ate at their bar/restaurant Cocoanuts so I can't review that. We were not harassed on the beach which was clean and beautiful.
Also, Island Seas was one of the only hotels up and running and in great shape. The Sheraton was still closed as were the two casinos on the island. These folks really have it together. They even called us before check-out to see if we needed help with our bags! I'd go back in a minute.

8  Thank Linda S
Virginia
Reviewed November 13, 2004

We just got back from our week vacation.
The beach has lot of rocks and watch out for the broken glass pieces. But the hotel never cared to clean.

The manager at the reservations is so rude. She spoiled our vacation and few others too. She lied to us, saying our reserved unit (#2012 - booked 6 months in advance) was damaged by hurricane, and offered the same unit to the person who was standing in the line behind us. (should I call this discrimination?)

Donot get fooled by "Jewel fish" the building across the road. The view is the back waters and it smells so bad. Make sure which particular room you're reserving.

I heard from another woman, that they treat her bad, because she didn't want to take the time share presentation.

So, we just went for the 90 min presentation, and told them we were so disappointed when the manager at the front desk told us "even if you own a unit here at island seas, we will just assign any unit". So, should we believe the promise they offer us whe we go for the presentation, "You'll be given priority to choose the ocean front"?

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member