“Very Nice Trip, April 3 to April 8, 2004”
Review of Island Seas Resort

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed April 12, 2004

My wife, eleven year old son, seven year old daugther and I, were at Island Seas 4/3/04 to 4/8/04 and it was truly wonderful. In fairness, we did upgrade from the Island Palm, a non beachfront hotel(very clean by the way), on Sunday the 4th. Our accomodations were teriffic. We rented a dune buggy at $50 a day to get around. We purchased groceries at both Solomon's and Winn Dixie and prepared most of our meals in our suite. We did some of the excursions which are a bit pricey, but again, your on vacation on an island where most everything is imported. We experianced nothing but kindness by the locals. The ownly peddlers we encountered were on the beach at Island Seas, one offering to braid hair and another selling fruit. Their beach was clean. The courtyard was clean. Their staff was friendly and helpful. I felt safe watching my kids play in the courtyard. If you go there, do rent a car or jeep or buggy and do buy groceries. The money saved can be spent on anything else you want to do. For me, scuba diving was the final pleasure. At 50 ', the water and terrain and fish were awesome.

Bob Usher and family

1  Thank rcusher62
There are newer reviews for Island Seas Resort

Reviewed April 10, 2004

Myself, my wife, and my 6 and 9 year old boys just returned from a great vacation at the Island Seas Resort. This is a truly wonderful place to spend a week, and I would recommend it without reservation to anyone. The grounds are beautiful, the beach is beautiful, the pool is beautiful, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the place has on site all the amenities you could ask for. The place has a very safe, family friendly feel, and after a couple of days we gave out kids permission to go anywhere they wanted in the resort on their own.

The fact that Paradise Water Sports has one of its three island locations on site made it really easy to do all water sports and activities without having to go anywhere.

In reference to a couple of previous reviews, we has no trouble with unfitted bottom sheets, and saw no trash on the beach within a quarter mile walk in either direction. Checkin and checkout were very fast.

Other than high grocery store prices, we found prices of everything else to be very reasonable, on and off the resort.

For restaurants, don't miss Coconuts, the Stone Crab, and Pier 4. There are too many activites available to mention here, but we has a good experience with all of the many things we did.

While renting a car is not absolutely necessary, we did find it convenient when going to restaurants or making site trips.

1  Thank markwatcommack
Reviewed April 7, 2004

My wife, son and I stayed at the Island Seas Resort in July of 2002.
Overall, our stay was okay. But we did experience some problems. When we first arrived, we had to wait about an hour and a half in the lobby for our room to be ready. When we finally got a room, the couch was dirty and there were tiny little bugs crawling around on the dresser in the bedroom and the kitchen counters. We called down to the lobby and they sent someone up. When we told her about the bugs, she looked insulted and said "Those are not bugs, those are ants! We have ants here!" She gave us a can of spray and we went around spraying "ants" all week. Later in the week we were sitting by the pool and the power blinked out, so we went up to our rooms and took our showers just in case it went out again. Sure enough, about an hour later it went out.
We called the office and they said the outage was "island wide", but we looked outside and we could see lights elsewhere on the island. The power came back on about an hour later, but two nights later, there was a storm and the power went out again! It was out during the night for 4 hours, and it was so hot inside the condo without air conditioning that we could not sleep, and had to sit outside on the deck. The power finally came back at 6am, but we were exhausted because we had to travel home that day! We did listen to their sales pitch when we first arrived, but the lady who gave it to us didn't push us anymore when we said no. The pool is pretty nice, although it was sometimes dirty by the end of the day after people came in off the beach and got in. The beach was nice as well. We did enjoy our stay, but the problems we had did get pretty annoying.

1  Thank brianmic1
Howard, OH
Reviewed April 5, 2004

Wow, I went to Island Seas in Feb. 2004. The first time ever in the Bahamas. What a beautiful place to stay. The staff was awesome. My husband and myself and 10 of our closesest friends went. We took a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport. When we arrived we got our cab and the driver was very nice, we worked a deal w/ him for the price of the ride. We asked were we could get some beverages for our rooms because we knew the store was going to be closed early. So he stopped for us. The staff made us feel so welcome, we did have to wait for our rooms but it was worth it. We had an ocean view and the whole view of the resort. We didn't have to go thru the shplee of timeshare. There was a couple that worked there Betty and Bobby Rose can't say enough about those two. My husband and I renewed our wedding vows right on the beach and the Roses helped us with getting a wedding cake and the free shuttle to town to have dinner. They made our stay so memorable. we had two wondderful guides names Ricardo and Kenny. We met so many nice people from New Hampshire, California, Canada and Wisconsin. This place is very relaxing and don't know if they were ready for our rowdy group but we must of stood out, because we were taken care of. I'd go back in a heart beat. Don't know what you other people did that didn't have a good time there. Remember, when your in the Bahamas they work on Bahamas time-nice and slow. So enjoy, relax and don't fret. You'll be taken care of just like we were.

Reviewed April 5, 2004

Four of us, all in our early 40's, just got back after a seven day stay at Island Seas Resort. We are all very active people who like to have fun. First of all, the resort was exactly what I thought it would be, or hoped it would be after reading some of the negative comments posted on this site. The resort was emaculate, nicely laid out, the staff was very friendly, and the beach was awesome.

Regarding the so called pressure sales staff that everyone complains about in the past articles, after we checked in, which took all of about 10 minutes, we were directed over to the lady that gives th esales pitch about time-shares. As soon as she said hi, I knew what was coming next and told her I was not interested in a nice way. She said have a good day and that was the first and last thing ever mentioned about time-share ownership. Not a big deal, you jsut have to say, "no thanks."

Next, people complain about the rooms not being cleaned everyday...Well, we talked to the maids and left a $3.00 tip on the table for her each day, which if your not too cheap, is pretty standard where ever you go. Our room had fresh sheets and towels everyday, no problem...What an idea, leave a small tip for the maids who work their butt off for you...And about the rooms and air conditioning units, ours was mopped the day we arrived, and everything worked fine...The floors do get dirty during your stay, because the fine sand that YOU bring in each day from the beach is pretty hard to keep out...

The free shuttle that you can only catch if you are a time-share owner or watch the time-share review, well, go rent a car...We rented a jeep that you can pick-up right across the street. It was a 4WD model that cost $85 a day plus $12 dollars for insurance. We rented the jeep for 2 days and had a blast....We drove down to the National Park and explored some cool caves, then headed further east to High Rock/Bishop beaches.
We wnated to find some deserted beaches and that was it...The beaches around High Rock were awesome..We took our jeep on the sand (don't know if it was legal) and drove about 1/2 mile west along the water until we came across some sand bars...Best beach I have ever found and no one was around...All of us went back there the second day...WE both took pictures of our girls on the beach, because of the location, and the woman, it felt like a Sports Illustrated swim suit shoot...

You have to know that you will have to spend some money, be nice and be patient...The restaurant was good, the service was not that bad, and the prices at the Win Dixy market was not that outrageous, except at the liquor store, a case of beer, "Kalik" (their beer) was $38.00 a case, and Heineken was $45.00 a case...wow....The International Bazar had some excellent little restaurants, especially for breakfast...We also ate in the "Rib Room" for a very nice dinner inside the Crown Plaza Hotel. Expensive, but awesome food. The Grooper was really good and the table hand tossed Ceaser Salad with made at your table dressing was excellent.

The Port Lucaya Market Place is okay, very touristy, but was a nice stop for our first night there, the food was only okay....Another thing, the Corona beers on the island taste different there, try one and you will understand...We also went on the booze cruise and bonfire dinner booked through the Island Seas. The booze cruise was really good, the bonfire dinner was good, but only 2 1/2 hours...Also, bring your own snorkling equipment, the water is clearer than a swimming pool and amazing, and you can do it right from the beach...

All in all, the resort was very relaxing, the atmosphere on the whole island was friendly, no worries when we traveled around the island, rent a car (jeep) for a few days, saves you in the long run and you don't have to depend on taxis and the cost, but remember, they drive on the other side of the road, just have your passengers there to keep reminding you in the begining....by some food at the Windixie, we cooked 2 dinners at home in the 7 days we were there.....be patient when ordering, and tip people, you will be amazed at the level of service you get if you lossen up your wallet just a little bit....and don't come to the island with an attitude, some of the negative reviews I read about the resort scared me a a little bit, but I think now that those people did not know how to adjust to there new surroundings and were stuck up, that is why I wanted to set the record straight, at least for the 4 of us, we had an awesome time, and I would recommend this resort to any of my friends to go to...and we didn't visit the Konk man down the beach, oh well....

2  Thank Sdouk
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed April 3, 2004

This resort is dreadful. Ignore the "five star rating" or "Gold Crown" - this seems to be timeshare jargon and cannot be compared to ratings typically applied to hotels. We have traveled extensively and this must be one of the more disappointing properties we have encountered.

Despite being relatively new (apparently built in 1996), the property is already delapidated, thus, aging badly. The size of the rooms are good (we stayed in a one bedroom) and are relatively well equipt with full kitchen, dishwasher, etc. However, our room was not very clean when we arrived (which means it was bug friendly), the air conditioning units were broken, elements on the range did not work, and the furnishings are generally cheap and nasty. We were situated across the road away from the beach - the new units being built - which was actually a good location as we have access to a spa with few others using it.

The main pool is a decent size, although not heated. The beach is nice and not as crowded as others. The only restaurant on site - Coconuts - has plastic chairs and tables. The food at the restaurant is generally okay and not overly expensive. The service is terrible - slow and thankless. There are no other restaurants on site or within walking distance. There are other places on the island worthy of a visit with more varied foods - such as the Port Lucaya Marketplace and the International Bazaar.

Keep in mind that this is a timeshare property. Accordingly, the primary motivation of management in having a non-owner onsite appears to be to sell you a timeshare. Accordingly, the "free shuttle" to the Port Lucaya marketplace (a good place for bars and restaurants) is only free if you (i) are an owner; or (ii) have attended the '90 minute' presentation. We walked out of the presentation after 1 hour and 55 minutes and our representative - Pamela - promptly told us that we have not finished the presentation and would not get the use of the shuttle.
This was just nasty but in line with other guests experiences - once you say no, things get ugly. The presentation is conducted in the first day or so of your stay so that you have not had time to fully experience the resort - otherwise you would realise that you have just committed to invest in a property that is sure to disappoint. If you are timehare minded, buy one off Ebay and trade the weeks to somewhere nice - like Atlantis on Paradise Island.

My best advice is (i) avoid the whole timeshare hype and (ii) spend a little extra and stay at Our Lucaya. We stayed here 18 months ago and it is wonderful (and also right across the road from the Port Lucaya marketplace).

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2004

My girlfriend and I just returned from 7 nights at the Island Seas in Freeport, Bahamas. We are both near 30 years old. First, the good - very clean, feels brand new, awesome private beach, great pool, beautiful grounds, friendly staff. The bads - poor maid service (they only change sheets 'full service' on Wed. and Sun.), far away from Port Lucaya, no free transportation to town provided by resort, only 1 restaurant (on site) to get dinner. Overall, we had a relaxing time. We booked through *** and were told we would have an oceanview room. No. We were put across the street. I complained, but to no avail. It turned out to be fine, as there is a hot tub over there that the "other side" doesn't know about. We had it all to ourselves for 2 nights in a row. I liked the quiet, but the oceanview rooms would've been amazing. I think they save those for the people that own a timeshare. We got there at 8 p.m on Friday. The next morning at 7:30 our phone rang, waking us up. It was the lady wanting to "tell us about the resort." She actually wanted to give us the time-share schpeel. She told me to come by the front desk, but we never did. They didn't bug us again. I've sat through those before, I'd rather sit on the beach. I saw them walking people around. The grounds are gorgeous and very well maintained. Coconuts restaurant has decent food, nothing special. Service is slow. I don't expect prompt, fast-fast service, but there were times when we would sit at our table 20 minutes before anyone approached us. That got a little annoying. After 3 days we got tired of eating the food at Coconuts. There is a bus service into town. TAKE IT. We took taxis all week ($8 one way for two people) and it got expensive. We found out about the bus on our way to the airport on our way out. The bus only costs $1 per person. We ate at Luciano's in Port Lucaya. Great French seafood. Pricey, but worth it. ($100 for two, c'mon, you're on vacation!) If I could do it over I would go with another couple. If you're a family of 4 you should have a great time, but be careful of a little cabin fever. After 3 days you'll be wishing more stuff was close. It's not. Take the bus into town. We took a glass bottom boat tour in town and it was cool, $25 per person. We saw three reef sharks! They also have tours and stuff at the resort. I heard they were good. The snorkeling tour, I heard, was just so-so, not worth the $35 per person. We went snorkeling off the shore about a half mile from the resort. It was great. Lots of fish, and it was free! Overall, it was fun. I don't know if I'll come back, but that's only because I like to see new places. E-mail me with questions. I e-mailed people off this website and it was a huge help. Ciao.