“Great Stay, but it does have it's down side..”
Review of Island Seas Resort

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our recent trip to Island Seas was great! The room was nice, you get what you pay for. I was very pleased with the room and the grounds considering that amount of money that we spent on this trip. The only problem that we had during the entire stay of 6 nights was towels. Not just beach towels that many on here talk about, but we also had problems a couple times getting bath towels and rags. Other than that, our stay was great... and even given the problems with the towels, we will go back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I just got back from a week at Island Seas. After reading the reviews its was exactly as I expected. We flew in from Charlotte around 2 pm and took a taxi to the resort. The taxis are a standard rate of $22 to the hotels. We were able to check our bags with the bellman and sign the paperwork before check in at 4 pm. Our room was available a little bit before 4 pm so we were able to get settled in earlier than expected. They tried to put us across the street but I asked to be put closer to the beach and we were accommodated with our request. It was a two bedroom unit with an ocean view and close access to the beach. No two bedroom units are beachfront. I was happy with the location of the unit.

The resort and units are very outdated and it could use a good overhaul. Towels were an issue and we had to call a few times for them to be replenished.Our coffee pot needed a replacement so were able to get another one delivered to our room. Housekeeping comes in everyday to empty the waste baskets, and if you are lucky, gives you more towels. Our sheets were changed mid-week.

The best part about this resort is the beach. Its crystal clear and so warm. There are plenty of lounge chairs to be had in either the sun or shade. The pool is average and I may have spent more time at there but there is NO SHADE.

Another great point is that we didn't need to rent a car. The resort offers a free shuttle 1x a week (on Monday) to the grocery store. They also offer a shuttle to and from Port Lucaya daily and hourly where you will find shopping, plenty of restaurants and the casino is right across the street. If you are looking to stay out past 6:40, you will have to take a taxi back to the resort. For four of us it was $18 to get back.

We ate breakfast twice at the restaurant at the resort and the prices were reasonable, the food was average. We went to Port Lucaya every evening for dinner and found the prices a bit above average. Take note that there is a 15% service charge on all bills, no tax for food. We took a snorkeling tour that left from a harbor across the street for $40 for about two hours which was great.

All in all it was a good vacation as we spent most of our time on the beach. I found the Bahamians all very friendly, but we won't be going back to that island or resort. If you are going with friends and want to party, this is not the place to go. I would stay in town near Port Lucaya as there is nothing to do around this resort.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luann0767
Reviewed August 31, 2013

So first time in the Caribbean, it was a "Girls" trip. When we arrived at the Islands seas we were surprised that it was sort of a small apartment. We have never traveled to a non hotel / resort place before. It was good for saving money because we had a fridge and were able to cook many meals there. Housekeeping was done every other days and we used up a lot of towels. The beach was absolutely spectacular and it was great that it was walking distance from our room. The problem was that we didn't find much party life. Seemed as though everything closed at around 9pm. The food at this particular place was mediocre, pretty plain and very Americanized at the resort. The drinks were OK, and the prices were about the same as in California. We spent many days relaxing at the beach and not much else other than kayaking, taking a city tour, we went to the Independence day Festival, and we had a massage at the resort. The Spa at the resort was OK, but not great. Overall I had a good trip for the price, a few things at the resort could be improved but i would go back to do a little more exploring. They had a small store at the resort where they sold chip and things but it was very expensive. Also, the customer service was not great, they were nice, but they lacked the "promptness" but that could because they are on "island time".

Room Tip: ask for something close to the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sabrosura03
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed four nights at the Resort as part of a package deal with Bahamas Celebration cruises. Even though we disembarked at 8:30am, we had no intention of trying an early check-in according to previous reviews. Fortunately, we rented a car and after checking in or luggage at the Resort, we were able to visit Port Lucaya, Treasure Bay Casino and Garden of the Groves. At 2:45pm, we returned to the Resort and was surprised when Sonya advised us that the room was ready. Of course, as we expected, our 2-bedroom apartment was across the street on the second floor with a view of the Marina. No problem as we weren't in Freeport to look out the window.
After reading several negative reviews about room cleanliness, we were pleasantly surprised that the place was very clean and fully equipped....except for towels! Yes, no towels to dry our hands and faces in case we wanted to freshen up. We called the front desk immediately to request towels and a coffee maker as we had come prepared with coffee to enjoy rhe early morning brew. We went out and returned at 4:30pm, and to our dismay, no towels had arrived even though they were promised immediate delivery after check-in. So, unwashed, we met my brother and wife for dinner,returning at 8:00pm. Yes, you guessed it...no towels. After another call to the front desk, towels were delivered at 8:30pm. FIVE HOURS LATE!!! Oh, the coffee maker was delivered the next day.
The housekeeping lady didn't have much to do as we make our beds and wash dishes/ So the only noticeable chore she performed was emptying the garbage containers.
While at the Resort, we never participated in the daily activities as we had our own schedule planned. We did use the Business Center a couple of times to check e-mail. It's a small room with one computer. As this is the place for free WiFi, we were fortunate to have our laptop with us.
We did have breakfast at the Sea Grape Grille and chose to do the Sunday buffet. The food was good but offered a limited selection.
While the accomodation served our purpose, we never felt or observed that there was that zeal for great customer service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sydney G
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We just spent a week at Island Seas Resort and it was lacking something. i am not sure exactly what it would take to make this a nice resort. i think a remodel job, and improvements to make the resort more guest friendly would be a great start. it's an ok oceanfront resort, just nothing special. first off, try not to arrive early because you can forget about checking in early. they won't even try, so if your flight or cruise arrives in the morning plan on spending the day and part of the evening in the pool or lobby waiting and waiting and......... our room was finally ready at 5:30 pm. they charge a ridiculous $70.00 per week fee for in room wifi. and that's per device!!! yes, not per room but per device, so i had to pay $140.00 for the week to use wifi for two devices, and you are not allowed to switch devices, so if you have laptops, ipods, iphones you have to pay for each and every one. imagine if i had 4 kids. there are numerous other problems with the resort, unless you are an owner at the resort you will most likely end up in a room with no view of the ocean or pool, or even worse, in a room across the street from the beach and main complex. it's a long walk from where you park to get to your unit, no elevators and no luggage carts so plan lots of trips to the car. there were ants in the bathroom and bedroom but i didn't complain in fear of being placed in a room even further away. either get up early in the morning or bring your own pool towels because you won't find any in the afternoon. they have only one computer to print your boarding passes from so plan on spending 2 to 3 hours in the "so called business center" the day before your flight. they have a big pool which is great, however it's only 3 feet deep everywhere, and the hot tub is shallow also, you have to sit on the bottom, so unless you are 10 or younger you will find yourself in the ocean for the week. the food at the pool bar and the hotel restaurant are not worth it, very expensive and not very good. It's a shame how far downhill Freeport has gone since the Royal Oasis Resort and Casino was hit by the hurricane in 2004. the Government has to do something soon to replace some of the attractions in Freeport because now that the International bazaar and the Royal Oasis have shut down there is really no reason to visit anymore, sad.

Room Tip: be an owner or you will never get an ocean or pool room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank rodryant
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We got to the resort just after 9am from the Celebrations cruise line. We were told prior that check in was at 4pm and when we got to the register desk to book our "tour" we were told to come back at 3pm and the room would be ready. My husband has been sick with cancer for the last year and is very fragile emotionally and not strong physically. We went to the Tiki hut and had lunch, changed into swim suits and went for a swim in the ocean and lounged around in the shade until 3:30pm. At this time were given the run around first told to wait 1/2 hours, then 20 minutes then told to stay in the lobby for 3 minutes while they got confirmation, then told another 1/2 hour and this went on. Finally after 5:15 pm we got our room. My husband was very tired and started to get a sun burn. Our room had many things wrong with it maintenance wise. We were so tired that we just wrote down the complaints and would take them up with management the next day. Our tour was booked for 9am and were told not to eat breakfast for breakfast was to be served at the tour presentation. Dry toast and orange juice is all we got. We met with the sales agent for the time share and discussed why we would not be interested in purchasing at this resort. The primary reasons were financial and we were already Interval Owners. We did not want to be at the presentation after the bad service we received the day before and all the maintenance problems we had. We did not complete the tour and was rudely told to leave and enjoy the rest of our holiday. We immediately went to the restaurant for the buffet breakfast - we were very very hungry. We met with the Housekeeping manager and the Head housekeeper & a maintenance gentleman that was in charge of our room and took them on a tour of the maintenance problems. They moved us to a better room on the ocean front with minimum maintenance problems and a better view.
The food and drinks were good. We opted for the all inclusive plan of which I don't think we got the full value but did enjoy the convenience. The servings were large when ordered off the menu so we for the final meals we decided to choose the buffet and not waste any unwanted food. The worst tasting food was the Guava Duff a Bahamian dessert. It tasted terrible and I had to wash it down with a drink. Took one bite and sent it back. Even the waitress mentioned that she did not like the way it was made in the restaurant and preferred the homemade version outside of the resort. The best tasting food was the coconut crusted chicken - yummm. I purchased a coconut from a beach vendor and shared it with my husband. Then we went back to for the lady to chop it in half so we could sample the coconut meat. It was good. We took the shuttle to the market which was ok but my expectations were shot down low. Every vender had the same junk from china. We were looking for something that was artsy or crafted by Bahamians in the Bahamas- nothing. There were several high end jewellery stores with good prices and no tax. We purchased two Troll beads for less then $60. The large resort downtown was something on our want to visit and check out list. But you cannot enter the facility unless you are registered. Security would not let us go past the check point. We did check out the casino which was ok.
One of the restaurants in the market would not let us sick away from the smokers and just order a drink because it was there designated seats for ordering off the menu. We did not want to sit with the smokers for a drink so we moved on until we found a spot.. finally we found a restaurant that was smoke free and allowed us to set and order just drinks the service was really good and allowed us to sit and rest for awhile.
The All inclusive was the way to go for it allowed you to eat and drink prior to check in and after check in until the shuttle arrived for departure. You were even allowed to use the public facilities, pool and lounge areas after check out time until the shuttle arrived. Customer really kicked in on the second day. Sonya the hostess for the time share was nice. Talia the events coordinator was fantastic and beyond service. Andrea the beach guy was friendly and very helpful beyond service. Andrea even got us a new, clean beach chair and put it in the shade for us. The bar tenders were friendlier to me a female then my husband. My husband waited longer for service then I did.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach front room. Check out room maintenance prior to finalizing room choice. Don't c...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank June T
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I just spent a week at Island Seas Resort and agree that it is not a five star establishment, but unlike others, I think there are more pros than cons to vacationing this resort. As a way of explaining my assessment, let me first address some of the complaints that have been lodged by other travelers.

First, people complained about being made to wait for their rooms. When I received confirmation of my booking, it clearly stated that check-in was not until 4:00PM. So when I arrived at 1:00PM, I was not shocked or offended to find out that my room was not available yet. This is what happens when you arrive at a hotel as well, unless prior occupancy enabled them to have the rooms ready earlier than usual. What I did was turn in my luggage to be held, went to the pool/social area and collected it when my room was ready. Everyone whose luggage is taken is given a claim ticket, so there should be no question that your luggage is on premises. People also complained about the servicing of the rooms. This is not a hotel, this is a resort. Your linens were changed daily and your bed is made daily. The maids replace anything they see you are running low on. The sheets on your bed is changed on Wednesday but light maintenance is provided each day. If you want full-service maintenance each day, you can have it for a fee.

Second, while the food at the restaurant is of poor quality, bland and over-cooked, and not something I can recommend until a recipe and preparation change is made, there are places that you can walk to within two minutes to get absolutely delicious freshly prepared food for reasonable prices. One of these places is the Tuesday and Thursday Bonfire sponsored by the resort. The price is $20 and you get a full plate of food, good music and dancing (including a Limbo dancer and instruction on how to do the island dances) and the chance to roast your own marshmallows. If you want drinks, you can get two drinks for an additional $10. Believe me when I tell you that the Bonfire Chef is in no way, shape or form affiliated with the Resorts SeaGrape Grill Restaurant (which I acknowledge is a culinary disaster), that lady can cook. In fact, if you attend the Bonfire on Tuesday don't be surprised if you find yourself back there Thursday.

Third, the rooms themselves while in need up up-dating are not the disasters others have made them out to be, I saw many rooms as part of my presentation and my being placed in a different room after deciding to purchase, the up-dating is largely style not functionality as everything was both comfortable and functional. The rooms have plenty of space and can actually accommodate the number of people they state (more than I can say for some other places I have been to where rooms that claim to hold four-six barely have enough room for two). In addition, I called for maintenance for a few things, issue with the stove (turned out the switch in the power box was accidentally turned off), water pressure (corrected on the spot) and the terrace door jamming (it was off the track and easily corrected), and I never waited more that fifteen minutes before maintenance was at my door.

Fourth, yes they need more activities on sight but the new management team (they have only been in charge for a few months) are actively working to bring about the improvements needed to make the resort more user friendly as it were. However, changes do not take place overnight. For instance, the above mentioned Bonfire was just recently added, so improvements are afoot. Having said that, an Activities Director who knows how to draw crowds can easily fix this. A perfect example is the karaoke night that was conducted and attracted tons of vacationers into the late evening. Moreover, the resort does make guests aware of major activities happening on the island, like the Wednesday Fish Fry, the Thursday Goombay Festival (held the last three Thursdays in July), so they are not trying to isolate you from the fun.

The pluses of the resort are first and foremost location. You are mere feet away from a fantabulous beach. There is security present to keep you from being bothered by over zealous vendors (something I have found to be a problem at other resorts). The pool and the hot tub are great for those who might not be beach dwellers. The resort itself has absolutely beautiful grounds. Another plus is access to the hubs of Freeport. The resort provides free daily shuttles to Port Lucaya (the main shopping and restaurant area). They also provide free shuttle transport to the supermarket. The staff are friendly, helpful and welcoming.

The guests did not appear to be miserable nor did they seem to regret their presence. In fact, I ran into five separate parties of travelers who come to Island Seas every year. These returns ranged from seven to thirteen years, a fact that IMO speaks volumes for the quality of the treatment you receive at Island Seas and the beauty that surrounds you. People simply do not return to horrible places year after year when they can easily and affordably go somewhere else.

All-in-all, I recommend giving Island Seas a chance. I would not have purchased were it a location I was not desirous of returning to multiple times as I never purchase timeshares from places I do not want to return to again and again. The purpose of a timeshare affordable travel to places you could not afford to visit otherwise. another plus is the opportunity to purchase cheap getaways to resorts, the occasional exchange and the knowledge that you can return to your home base for just the cost of airfare.

The one thing I will say is that if you are looking for a non-stop party atmosphere, Nassau is probably the place for you. If you are looking forward to peace and relaxation with the opportunity to partake in activities when you would like, then Freeport and Island Seas are the places for you.

As others have noted, the buildings with the full ocean view are one bedrooms that I believe to be reserved for members. The pool views and partial ocean views are lovely as well. Rooms with the marina view are provided when the member rooms are fully booked, so know that if you go during peak season and are not a member, this is where you will stay. However, these units are across the road and not across the street as others implied. The only traffic is the traffic to and from the resort, not street traffic like you might be led to believe

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends