“Really Mixed Sandbag”

Westbury, New York
“Really Mixed Sandbag”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Island Seas Resort
I checked into this resort on Monday of last week. The arrival day is Sunday, but my flight was delayed.
The trip from the airport was brief but cost $22 for one person. I had emailed ahead and was told by the resort that they do not provide a shuttle. They did answer my emails within 24 hours. The check in time is normally 4 pm, but since I was supposed to arrive the day before, my accommodation was ready. At five o’clock some of the less fortunate were still waiting at the bar area.
Guests are directed to a desk where they are given a series or rules and options that are somewhat off-putting (Do you want a lock or no lock for the room safe? If you lose it you pay. Here is the inventory list. Be sure to complete it. If anything is missing you pay. Guests are given bracelets for ID purposes. Gold bracelets allow a discount at the Coconuts Bar and the Sea Grape Restaurant, but no one said anything about this.
The guest suites are in buildings three stories high and arranged around the pool/ hot tub area and the Coconuts Bar. As this is the only place WI-FI is available, it is generally busy. Access to the suites is somewhat inconvenient as they must be reached from staircases in the back of the buildings. There are no elevators but porters are available. The terraces for the first floor suites open right onto the walkway. The total lack of privacy is awful. The rooms are small, but adequate. My two bedroom, two bath suite had comfortable beds, mirrored closets and dressers. Both baths had hair dryers, and the kitchen had full size appliances. There were enough utensils and cookware for average needs. Everything was clean. One of the burners on the stove did not work. The light was out in the back bedroom. A few hours after I checked in, someone called to see if everything was OK. The light bulb was changed within two hours. What they could do nothing about was the smell of cigarette smoke that permeated the apartment. There was a dirty ashtray on the front terrace. Housekeeping said I could bring it to the front desk if I chose to. There was a flat screen in the living room area and really old-fashioned low definition televisions in each bedroom. The television signal kept going out for thirty second to a minute at a time. This was very annoying. The furniture was really rundown and somewhat uncomfortable to sit on. I was told by management that there were two trailers of new furniture right outside. They were waiting until they could do all of the units before doing any.
Entertainment was advertised at the Coconuts Bar, but it never happened The next night there was karaoke, but the person running it could not figure out how to get all the words on the screen. Naturally there were few takers. Most people were trying to access the internet on their laptops. Accessibility was erratic at best. About his time I noticed the smoking problem. A few guests began to smoke cigarettes or cigars although smoking in common areas is not allowed. At first they did so surreptitiously, but unchallenged they created make shift ashtrays and smoked with abandon. When I questioned a staff person at the bar, his response was that the smokers were buying drinks. At his point I gave up and headed for the gym. The “gym” was nothing like the picture. There were two tread mills, a recumbent bike and some dumbbells. That’s it. There is no water fountain, no towels and no air (windows were sealed).
The hot tub looked murky, but it was very hot and much in demand. The beach was stunning in its beauty. The resort had more than enough comfortable lounges and plenty of soft bath towels you could sign for. If you are beach person and do not mind the somewhat chilly (70F) temperatures in January, this is where this resort shines. I changed to a beachfront room, but this was a mistake because the room was noisy. I wonder if the employees know that their conversations early in the morning and late at night can be heard very clearly? Based on their comment s about certain guests, I think not.
The resort offers Spa services. The massages were quite good, but not cheap. There is also a free shuttle to take guest to the supermarket on Monday and to Lucaya on the hour during the morning and late afternoon. There are several tours available.
Finally, the one thing to really watch out for is the high pressure and deceptive timeshare presentation. If you let it (and I did), it will take an entire morning. The contract is supposed to be cancellable for seven days, but they will attempt to add fees and other considerations. The experience is enough to make one swear off timeshares. Other guests have written about this. Read their posts
Island Seas Resort is fine for couples with very young children who just want to enjoy the beach. It is probably also fine for newlyweds who can create their own fun. There is virtually no nightlife for singles although I did find a local bar that was accommodating. On Wednesday nights there is a fun party and food opportunity at Taino Beach Fish Fry. The Casino at Lucaya is small but pays well. The one meal I had at the resort was very good. Like everything else at this resort, it was expensive.
The staff members tried desperately to assure me that the resort would be modernized within two years. I don’t think I’ll be back to see.

Room Tip: Complete lack of privacy on first floor. Some rooms are across the street from the beach. Some room...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Thea C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Rockford, IL
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Our room had their dump out the front door, a 3" roach I killed in the curtains and generally dirty and old. The time share plans was not to be longer than 90 min after 3 HOURS we refused to buy and complained about our room the man said they could of put us in the ghetto I said I thought you did. When we went to the resort staff to ask about our promised rewards we were told we did not stay the 90min. and was laughed at. Any time we asked any thing of the staff we got no answer and then they would laugh at us for asking. The only things we could do was stay there or go to their events or locations. Upon arrival (10:30 am) we were told untill checkin (4pm) we were free to walk about or wait in a guest room, after asking we were told we could take shuttle to Grand Lucayan (big part of tour promotion) shopping area. I would never return if I was PAID to.

Room Tip: Stay at different location, The Grand Lucayan
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Edie A

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Shelby, Montana
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed here last week and I am pretty sure we wil never be back again. When we arrived, we checked our luggage with the bellhop. We walked around for over an hour and came back to find our bags still sitting there! I had to tell him to put the bags away. When we were finally able to check in, the man handed us the key and that's it. Very rude. Our room was dirty. The toilet has no lid which is a sanitary issue. The fridge smelled so bad. The dishwasher was dirty and almost fell on me when i opened it. We got to our room a little after 4 pm. No towels so I called the front desk. By 8, no towels still so we stopped by the front desk after dinner and by 9 we finally had towels. The view from our bedroom was a storage/construction area. We took a walk on the beach and within the first 5 minutes a man approached us and asked us if we want to buy drugs from him. Not a very good impression. The only positive is the property is right on the beach.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cpf1983
nova scotia
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I was late writing this. I stayed with my family (2 adults, 2 children, one under 1) and brought my parents in April. My father is somewhat limited mobility wise and they accomodated us greatly. I had emailed before we arrived and requested a ground floor room and explained our situation. The room was situated beatifully, steps to the pool and the beach. I loved this place, especially the beach. I could have done without the timeshare presentation as I felt way too much pressure. The suite was upgraded to a degree and it was great being able to cook for everyone. We brought a lot of things with us like snacks, condiments etc. so we did not have to buy it. Cora was great in guest services.
The shuttle was great but it is only once a week but the little store is loaded up with things you could make do with and decent prices. The restaurant on the resort had very slow service if you eat in. Ordering to go was way faster and great for the kids, food was okay. Port Lucaya is beatiful and great trinkets to take home but check the beach first because it was cheaper for some things.
We did the semi sub tour, okay price but where you sit underneath sways a lot and I got sea sickness ( as did many others), there was also a diesel smell that probably added to the issue. The free stuttle is great for a trip in and back...very convienent and the driver told us all about the island.
A great spot for eating was just a short walk down the beach or road. It was called Bikini Bottom but was changing names in April. Good, affordable food and beer was decent.
The drink prices at the resort are ridiculous. I couldn't understand why they would have a bar empty all of the time but keep the prices so high. We went into town and bought our own. We went in April so there wasn't enough entertainment in the evening but just sitting out with a couple of drinks was nice. We went to the fish fry, it was okay. There is a reason for the huge lineup at the place on the beach...it is better than the others. We took the taxi driver's advice and went to the one he said but don't, wait in the line up, it is worth the wait.
The locals are fantastic. Everyone talks to you or at least says hello. I had more hugs from strangers in the Bahamas than from any other place we have travelled to.

Great place to relax. The beach is amazing. They just need to work on the drink prices and some entertainment but it was a great place to visit.

Room Tip: Try to email before. There are no guarantees but worth a shot.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank livyNovaScotia
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We exchanged our timeshare in December of 2011. We checked in Saturday night and left our room for a short while to take the shuttle to Port Lucaya. When we returned we found that some of our valuables were missing. We notified Security the following morning thinking that the matter would be swiftly taken care of. After two police reports (one in our room and one at the police station) and the assurance from Managment that they had located the person who entered our room at the times we reported we were out we thought the matter would be resolved. Guess again - I am still getting the run around even though I have contacted their insurance company and called the resort several times. Beware - I am not the only one who was robbed. All staff have key access to your rooms - lock everything up!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Linda G
Howland, Maine
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I have been coming to island sea for 12 years in jan. and stay 4 to 8 weeks.this year they made a a lot of up grades .the second day we were there they put a new glass top stove in.also new refrig and dish washer.made service every day unherd of in most timeshares.miss betty in members services is a doll she got us every thing we asked for.this is a standerd resort not gold so those who expect gold please go some place else.my family just loves this place

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank thedipman
Holly, Michigan
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We exchanged our timeshare for this place starting Christmas Eve 2011. Upon checkin we asked if there were a local store to get food and they told us we missed the shuttle but the next day is Christmas and Monday is Box Day so we are out until Tuesday. Next they gave us our room key, took us off the gaited property to across the street (not part of the resort grounds) to a room where someone else was already in our bed napping. When my husband asked for a room on the resort grounds he was told they were booked up. When he asked if we might be able to reserve a room to switch to in a day or two he was told "NO, but you can come back to the desk tomorrow and try your luck." The room was musty and had mold on the bathroom cieling. The walls were very dirty and scuffed up. The matresses were bad. The beach chairs were old and worn out do that when you sat in them your butt would almost touch the ground. Someone tried to sell my daughters pot on the beach. The bartender hit on my 16 year old daughter. Oh, and when we came back from the beach, our clothes that we left in the room were infested with tiny spiders. We left after only 2 hours and found a new place. Our vacation ended up costing us alot more than expected since we had to pay for a stay in an acceptable hoted. The nacho's at the Sea Grape were excellent. Some of the best I've ever had.

Room Tip: It is possible that the rooms that are actually on the resort may be better. We did not stay around...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family