“UPDATE”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
North Carolina
“UPDATE”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

This review is significantly different from my last experience at this resort. My room (apartment) is now ocean front - vastly different from the rat hole noted in my last review. The one bedroom unit was spotless except for worn and stained upholstered furniture in the living room (management is in the process of replacing these furnishings). Maid service was attentive. The view is breathtaking and the beach was clean. Wireless is still available only at the pool and connections are tenuous at best. The downside to the resort is that there is a large piece of vacant land (owned by Island Seas) that is a storage dump for large shipping containers and is pretty unsightly. Another inconvenience is that the ocean front buildings are a long walk from parking especially if you are toting groceries. Coconuts restaurant is just OK; there are much better restaurants on island including some where you do get white glove service. Considering my last experience, this last trip was a total surprise and very welcomed. It looks like Island Seas is cleaning up it's act.

Room Tip: If you want a spectacular view, opt for Ocean front.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Island seas resort will try to rob you. The people who work there are lovely. The management is horrible. The room stunk like something had died. It was so foul, we had to air it out. They evidently couldn't move us to another room at the time so we had to endure it. Many of the kitchen items were missing and when we requested them, were never delivered.
The place is dumpy honestly. Not for the prices they ask. I have stayed in hotels for half the price that were twice as nice! They are taking advantage of people. DO NOT talk to anyone in member services for their time share. They tried to get me to forge a signature to become a member, which is when I should have realized how shady they were. We also ran into people who said it was the worst thing they have ever done and one man yelled from the balcony to run. It was like walking into a very bad scene.
But like I said, the employees are beautiful people like the rest of the people on the island. You will have a better time if you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank sighance

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Grantsville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Just returned from the Island Seas Resort. Very good trip! Keep an open mind about this place and remember it is the Bahamas so you will not get white glove service, but you will get served and they do take care of you. We (wife and I) went with my newly married son, his wife, and my stepson. My son's TV quit working one night and they replaced it within an hour, not bad. While the resort is not 5 star I rate it a very good resort. We had a clean room, the best beach with lots of good snorkeling, and a very friendly staff. Some pointers. We were on the all inclusive plan which is the only way to go, but we still tipped the staff and that paid off very well. I heard lots of other people making rude comments about the food and service, but really you are on vacation and in someone else's country show some patience and respect and you will get it back! Now for the things I thought could be improved.. Better food selection on the morning buffet. While the scrambled eggs were great....after 2-3 days something else would be welcome. Better explanation of the all inclusive plan. When we arrived we asked and got very vague answers from the front desk, staff, bar. We figured it out for ourselves because no one else in the resort was on the all inclusive plan. After we figured out that unlike other all inclusive resorts that we have been to there is not a buffet for every meal you can order anything you like from the restaurant or bar menu. WOW like I said the only way to go because the food in the Bahamas is generally more expensive then the US, so we made out very well. This goes for the drinks as well! The drink menu lists the drinks for $6 -$9 for your tropical resort type of drinks. We never worried or had to pay once for anything. A special thank you to Jermaine, Tory, and Reinaldo the best bartenders of any resort I have been to so far! The only other thing that I would change is like some of other the comments they need better mattresses while ok they are just ok and not very good. Overall a great trip and we will try and make it back to the Island Seas Resort.

Room Tip: If you have teens beware of drug dealers on the beach. Do go to the Wednesday night fish fry but mak...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Carol M
West Milford, New Jersey
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We went down to the Bahamas with a group of 5 adults. We had a wonderful time. The Island Seas was much better than I had expected especially after reading some of the reviews. We had a two bedroom unit, it was nice, not beautiful, but clean and adequate.

We were asked to fill out an inventory form once in our room. A bit of a pain, but I did it. Some items were missing that should have been in our room (a few hangers, dishcloth, toaster and some towels). I brought the list to the front desk and by the next day most of the items were in our room. Some items we simply didn't need. I have no doubt that if I had really needed/wanted a toaster, they would have provided one.

We spent most of our days at the beach, which was great. The beach was clean, there were plenty of towels and loungers. We had cocktails at Coconuts during the day and usually had lunch there as well. The food was good, but we waiting quite a long time for our meals. They were definitely on Bohemian time, which they joke about. Expect to wait at least 30-40 minutes for your meal, even if you're the only ones there.

The staff at coconuts, the front desk and customer relations area were friendly and helpful, if we needed something we just had to ask.

In the evenings we took either a cab or the free shuttle to Port Lucaya for dinner. We had some wonderful and some not so wonder meals. What ever you do, DO NOT MISS CAPPUCCINO'S for dinner. It was by far the most delicious meal we had on the island. And Daniel, the owner was warm and friendly. Another nice meal was at Giovanni's. Robert, our waiter, was attentive. Luciano's was a place to skip. The meal was expensive in comparison to all the other restaurants and the food and staff were less than expected. Of the 5 of us, 2 meals had to be seen back.

While at Island Seas, my husband and I decided to sit for the timeshare presentation. We have sat for many timeshare presentations over the past 5 years and since buying, we are very up front with our presenters. We again were up front with our sales person (Linda) and told her we already were owners elsewhere and just wanted the tour and the free gifts. By the end of the presentation she again asked us if we would buy. We told her again that we had no interest. She was less than thrilled with us. She demanded to know why we sat for the presentation and when we again stated we wanted to free gifts and a tour of the facility, she said "well that doesn't do me any good, I work on commission". I replied," that's not my concern". She said, "You find this funny?". My husband told here we had not been rude to her and expected the same. There was a very awkward 3 minutes silence. We asked for our gifts and left. So maybe sitting for the timeshare presentation was a mistake; however, we received 6 bottles of rum, 6 t-shirts, a 40$ voucher to Coconuts, a glass bottom boat trip and a voucher for 2 adults for a 2 night/3 day holiday back in freeport or 6 other locations to choose from. I think I would do it again.

All in all, we had a great time and would not hesitate to return to the Island Seas Resort.

Lastly, don't miss going to Peer I for dinner. There is a varied menu, so everyone should be happy. The best part was at 7pm, 8pm and 9pm they ring the dinner bell and the sharks come in to feed. It was way cool to see, don't miss it!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our 1st floor room. We were in Grouper Building room 1046. Would not want to be in Flyi...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Cathy W
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I have just returned from a two week stay at the Island Seas Resort, Freeport Bahams with three friends and what a great time we had.

We went to the resort with a very open mind as the reports we had read were less than complimentary but we found it to be a great place to stay.

On arrival we went along to the reception desk to book in and the staff were really friendly and quick. We went along to the room we had been allocated and found that it was on the ground floor and was one that was specially adapted for the disabled, which we did not need, so off we went back to reception and explained and without further ado they changed our accommodation to one room on the second floor overlooking the pool and this was really great.

The room was clean but lacking in towels for four people, however this was soon rectified after speaking with the housekeeping staff.

On our first full day we took the decision to go out and do some supply shopping and found
ourselves a very friendly island taxi driver (Nolan) and we decided that we liked him so much we asked him if he would take us on an island tour, which he did and which we enjoyed very much, so much so that we invited him to have dinner with us that evening at the Pier One restaurant. He came to pick us up and we got there just in time to see the second 'shark feed' which was awesome. The restaurant is not one of the cheapest on the island but is well worth a visit.

Shopping on the island is a little disappointing but we did find out that for many things the islanders take a ferry over to Miami or Fort Lauderdale and do a really big shop over there, howevr we did find a few bargains here in Port Lucaya and at the Island Bazaar, ie shoes, jewellery and Christmas ornaments.

We all agreed that this holiday is one that we could well repeat as it was one purely for adults, I would not recommend it to families as I am sure the children would be bored as there is very little for them to do.

The beach at the Island Seas Resort is very clean, beautiful white sand and contrary to other reports, plenty of sunbeds and more importantly plenty of fresh, clean towels daily.

I definitely have no qualms recommending the Resort to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the ground floor overlooking either the pool or the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Tiggerdane
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 24, 2011

If a hotel gets one thing right, it should be the bed. A clean room and a decent shower rounds out the basic requirements. This "resort" had an ok shower, but the most poorly-supported mattresses you could imagine - in both the rooms we stayed in. They were consistently awful. Apart from that, the rooms were dirty - a few minutes in bare feet or socks turned up a lot of filth. The Island Seas is a tired place to vacation. The beach is lovely, however.
We converted out two-week booking into a two-night stay and moved to the Grand Lucaya in Port Lucaya (a Radisson hotel) - which had a great deal going, and was excellent. Especially the mattress and the cleanliness of the room.
Lesson learned.

Room Tip: Insist on a beach side room - the marina side of the hotel is across, but right near the road and th...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2011

For the most part, everybody was very friendly and welcoming. Not bad but not great! Food, average. The rooms was just ok. The sunrise and sunset was the best! Not expensive so it was cool for a nice trip to just relax.

Room Tip: If you plan to buy groceries, pick the grocery store with the better selections. Can't remember...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple