“Good place at a decent price”

Flamingo Bay Hotel & Marina
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Wisconsin
“Good place at a decent price”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Stayed for two nights in Feb. 2010. Place was pretty quiet. The rooms were as pictured online. The pool and beach area was very clean and I saw workers picking up falled leaves and debris quite frequently.

Ferry to Port Lucaya leaves from right behind the hotel, had no problems with them. The resturant onsite wasn't too bad, a little pricy but not horrible. Food was good and overlooks the beach, really nice at night.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank compressedairjunkie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
Atlanta
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed in this hotel during the last days of 2009. The room, -especially the bathroom area- was old and ugly. The towels and bedding were dirty. The staff have no idea that you are on vacation so they start knocking doors for towels (and talk really loudly) before 8am. Boats come and leave at early hours, wake you up. The hotel is located close to Taino beach, that is a beautiful beach. The pool area is nice, too. The problem is, hotel is far away from the marketplace and there is nothing to do or eat around the hotel. For breakfast, lunch, dinner and entertainment; you have to go to marketplace. The only way is taking the ferry that arrives once an hour -if you miss one, have to wait one more hour-, and it costs 5$ per person. If you are a couple and go to marketplace twice a day, it costs 20$. My suggestion is, pay 20$ more to the hotel, and stay in somewhere cleaner and closer.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pegasus79

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels

South Carolina
Reviewed June 7, 2009

The room is clean, and air conditioning works great. Ask for the marinia view. There is a surcharge of $15 per night per person in addition to room rates. Great pool at the resort across the street. Bathroom is dated with fiberglass fixtures. Make sure to get the $75.00 per night rate. Small television, but reliable cable. Beds are a little more firm. Nice kitchenette. Grocery stores are more expensive than states. Rent a car before arriving to ensure a better rate. You can save 20 dollars plus per day by doing this. The beach is nice and not crowded by any means. I did not eat at the resturant at all. There are many places to eat if you have a car. Port Lucya can be pricey, so shop the menus and daily specials at the eating places. Becky's a local rest in town was really good. Beer is expensive. They do make you wear a braclet that is annoying. I don't feel that I should been to made wear something on my wrist. I had no contact with anyone trying to sell me a time share. The rooms in this hotel are all connecting in the kitchen area. If you have a neighbor noise is to be expected. You can actually hear your neighbor talking, coughing, etc... If you have your a/c running it drowns most out. Take the boat over to Port Lucaya at least once. The night boat ride offers great views on the water. The housekeeping service was good. They do seem to clean the rooms of the guest that have checked out first. My room was usually cleaned around 2 pm or so. If you have a rental car plenty of parking at no charge. Very quiet area over all. Tile flooring. Ikea furniture. Some plates and dishes in kitchenette. Ice machines were out of order %80 of the time. You will have to walk across the street to the maching at the Time Share to get ice. Internet service with two computers on the grounds. Wi-fi is available. So if you have a lap top bring it. This is located across the street. The grounds could be more maintained across the street. The pool decking is larger pavers with some type of over growth of grass. If you want to use the lazy river bring your own float etc. Only one hot tub for the whole complex. I did not use it as at night it was always crowded. There is 24/7 security guards in check points right across the street. Sometimes they were asleep on the job. Other times they were making security checks. If your use to your room being really secure while you are out don't plan on it at this hotel. The dead bolt locks only work from the inside. You can not lock them from the outside with a key. I feel that anyone could use a credit card to open the door. The desk clerk stated, "We have not had any break-ins." I feel since there is no safe in the room at the least the dead bolt should work while I am out of my room. Who is to say that some other guest would not enter your room? The water pressure in the shower was excellent. Always had hot water. You can sign for beach / pool towels over close to the pool area. The crime rate is low on the island. I did feel very safe. Very laid back place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank SCdiver71
Lone Tree
Reviewed May 15, 2009

I will be brief so I do not waste any more time with this hotel. The rooms are outdated, moldy and my feet were black after walking around. I almost missed by flight because the front desk did not call me a cab, as promised. Pool at the other hotel has a layer of suntan oil in the pool. One restauarant within walking distance...otherwise $5 per person. To say the staff is rude is an understatement. RUDE RUDE STAFF. Bad rooms. Don't stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheBereit
New York
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We were fortunate enough to get a 'free' vacation through our Realtor (through RCI) and chose the Flamingo Bay. (it did not turn out to be free by the end, read on).

The Good Stuff:
----------------------
We were expecting a 'Super 8' style motel and this is exactly what we found. For the price (assuming we had paid, I checked on Expedia) the Flamingo Bay is excellent value and use of the Taino resort is key. The room was clean and the staff were friendly. The Taino resort has a great pool and beach. I can see if you were staying at the Taino timeshares and were cooking your own meals then this resort would work.

The Bad Stuff.
----------------------
The Location is dire. There is absolutely nothing else around. You are completely dependent on the ferry to Port Lucaya ($5 and 15 mins) or their restaurant .
The Restaurant is awful. Even coming from New York it felt expensive, the service was very slow and the food quality sub standard. My wife ordered a philly cheese which was stone cold on a stale bun. When we complained the waitress argued with us that she had 'just seen the chief make it right from the stove'. I asked her if the stove was turned on to which she wasn't amused. Couple this with the fact you are reliant on the ferry to leave the resort means they have you over a barrel.
The Bar is in a hole in the ground and filthy. We went to find a drink and the not unreasonable hour of 8pm. It was closed.

If you like stealing towels, this hotel / resort is not for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A number of times we were either in the room when the maid came or we had to call as we had no towels. Each time the maid tried to force her way into the room and would not give us anything until she was confident we didn't have towels we were trying to steal. One time I was using the facilities when my wife answered and she had to step in the way of the woman to stop her barging in! Another time we were accused of stealing the bath mat (only for her to then notice it by the sink).

Conclusion
----------------
We made it to Tuesday which rained, and sitting in the room was the last straw. We took the ferry to the Westin in Our Lucaya, after a long conversation with the manager there agreed a good rate and we checked in. I was SO HAPPY to tear off the god awful green wristband.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tomplace
New York
Reviewed April 27, 2009

My husband and I were booked from Sat-Sat but checked out early on Tues morning and went over to the Westin in Port Lucaya. Although the reviews prepared us for a mediocre hotel at best, what we were not prepared for was the extremely limited dining options and overtly rude housekeeping staff at the hotel.
We went to the Taino Beach restaurant for lunch upon our arrival and waited 45 minutes for a small overpriced salad and a cold cheese steak. When we complained about the cold food, the waitress decided to have an argument with me over the foods temperature in front of the whole restaurant rather than attempt to rectify the situation. The 2 other meals we had in the restaurant made me a little sick to my stomach afterwards.
As far as the hotel was concerned this place made Motel 6 look 5 star in comparison...our bed linen had cigarette burns in it and the a/c filter was black with mildew and clearly hadn't been cleaned in some time. Not to mention, the room was smelly/musty and in need of some serious renovations. The most disturbing thing about the whole hotel experience was when I discovered that the dish soap in the kitchenette had been refilled with a very caustic industrial strength pine cleaner and gave me a rash all over my arms. The final straw with this place was when the cleaning woman came to replace our towels and accused my husband and I of trying to steal the bathmat!
Luckily we were able to check into the Westin after the manager over there gave us a really good walk in rate. It was either find new accommodations or fly home. We couldn't pack our things and check out of this place fast enough. One of this hotels reviews says that those of us who have given it a bad rating have "champagne taste". I completely disagree with that comment and after seeing this place for myself realize that their standards must be set lower that most. This place was "tasteless" to say the least and certainly not worth slumming it a few nights to save a few bucks. I certainly could have done without the souvenir rash I left with.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank layla18
bend, or
Reviewed April 16, 2009

For anyone that is over the age of 20 I would suggest avoiding Grand Bahama Island for the entire month of March!! We went to GBI for our honeymoon, and stayed at 3 different hotels, and could not get away from the drunken teenagers to save our lives! I was in college once too, and not that long ago, but never remember being so rude! The hotel did nothing to try and make it up to us, even though we were on our honeymoon. We were woken up multiple times each and every night and felt run out of the hot tub, bar, etc. by the spring breakers. One day during our stay the housekeeping staff forgot to replace our towels, and we didnt get new towels until the next evening despite multiple calls. We had to use our own personal beach towels to shower!! The use of Taino is great, but nothing could make me return to GBI or this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple