“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

First I would say disregard the negative reviews. I was scared after reading them, however the price I couldn't pass up. Upon arriving there was a lady at the front desk complaining I really thought we were in a rough 6 days. Come to find out every time I saw her she was complaining.

This place was GREAT. Food was ok, however the little late night pizza place in the back was amazing! The hotdog/burger stand during the day was pretty good. The food at the restaurants was very good.

Our room was clean and very nice. The cleaning staff always made sure we had what we needed.

NOTE: Tip the staff and will be grateful. Also remember you are on island time so just take it slow and you will have a great time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Trenton H
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Guest

We are so happy that your week stay with us was wonderful!

We appreciate you took time to post this review and positives remarks for all trip advisors users to read.

On behalf of all our staff, I thank you for you honesty and for choosing our resort on this recent stay.

Kind regards,

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Hungarian first
Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We had a wonderful vacation in Paradise. Great room! We really liked the entertainment staff- Coco is hilarious, K.J. is an amazing performer, and Mama Ima it was a so nice to see your smile everyday- you're the best!
The constant loud music was the only thing that we didn't enjoy. A bit more peace and quiet would've been much appreciated.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Renee T
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for coming to visit us and celebrate your anniversary along us.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your interactions with our entertainment staff as they do indeed take personal ownership of our reputation and work very hard to ensure that each and every guest feels welcome and cared for. We also appreciate your recommendations about the music

Hoping we can welcome you back again,

Kind regards,

Savanna, Illinois
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay the week of 2/23/14-3/2/14. The service was outstanding, everyone friendly and helpful. Buildings were all only 2 stories with private patio/balcony with 2 chairs & small table for each room. Rooms were large with comfortable king size bed, built-in bed tables, flat screen TV over desk/dresser with chair, closet with several hangers and shelf storage and safe that worked well. You did have to pay extra to use the safe, but not much considering the peace of mind. Mini-frig had 2 bottles water, 4 sodas, 2 beers, and bottle of champagne we never drank. Plate of fresh fruit (banana, apple, plum, orange, and grapes) on arrival. If you wanted more water or soda, you could buy at drug store or just get from bar. Self-serve soda/water machines at end of main bar and buffet. Bring your own cup and straw or buy one at gift shop - bartenders will fill it up with whatever you want. No brand name alcohol, but we drink mixed drinks and couldn't tell the difference. The red wine was okay, but white very sweet. Buffet had lots of good food the way buffets are - some things you like or some not. Beautiful, varied salads, fresh fruit at every meal, lunchmeats & cheese slices for sandwiches, hot meats, veggies and casseroles. Omelet stations at breakfast, pasta at lunch & dinner. Loved the spicy onion, pepper, tomato "stew" every morning with perfect grits. (Can only get bacon at omelet station.) Fajita fixings every day at lunch. Gorgeously presented desserts, but cakes were oddly dry. Steak & lobster special for extra charge was better at Viva Italian than Bamboo Oriental, so were appetizers and dessert from their menus (reservations required). Good burgers, hot dogs and fries at beach bar but only had cheese one day. Who knows why - I just went to buffet and got a slice. With that much good food and drink, you can always use a little more exercise!
Fitness center didn't open until 8:30, but walked for miles on beach in both directions every morning, along with shell seekers and newlyweds hand-in-hand. Exercise, bingo and games at pool every day and live entertainment at theater every night. Lucky enough to be by trapeze to watch lessons twice a day. What a hoot!
There were beautiful flowering plants everywhere. Could see the beach and ocean from our room, but not right on the beach like some of the buildings were. Some were pretty far from main bar/pool area so if you don't like to walk a lot, ask for a closer room. We did hear the music the first night because we were so keyed up from our flight, but slept right through it the rest of the week.
Would we go back again? In a heartbeat!! Well worth the money. Glad to answer any questions anybody may have about this resort.

Room Tip: Abaco buildings by trapeze are closer to main areas but far enough away from theater.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank wolflover
Dear Customer

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and for choosing us as destination.

Is always rewarding to read that our beloved visitors enjoyed their time here and appreciate our efforts to achieve guest satisfaction.

We also appreciate your recommendations , so we can always improve our services and facilities.

Halifax, NS
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my family here Feb 14-21

Check in/ Front Desk: took us about an hour as we arrived after a large group, and on a full bus from the airport, but once we got to the counter check-in was quick. Workers at front desk were probably the least friendly on the resort, especially when we were having troubles with our keys or safe.

Dining: after all the horror stories I've heard about buffet food down south I was pleasantly surprised, especially on themed (Mexican, Bahamian) nights. Had to take forks/ knives off of other tables a couple times, but workers were quick in clearing your dishes, all fairly pleasant. Dessert was always delicious. Ate at the two à la cartes, definitely worth it, better than a lot of food I've ever had. MUST VISIT THE PIZZERIA, went there almost every night. I had no troubles with the bars sometimes there was a line at the beach bar, if I didn't feel like waiting its just a short walk to the main bar.

Rooms: clean, loved our view and balcony (we were in rooms 1232-1234), had troubles with our safe on the last day, towels weren't always replaced at cleaning, instead they would bring them sometime later, could be inconvenient.

Beach/ pool: wasn't overcrowded, no shortage of chairs, vendors weren't too pushy, there was always a worker collecting trays and cups, so it was clean. Swimming was good, would have preferred a larger area of clear sand bottoms. Pool area was nice, expected it to be larger.

Animation: one of the best parts, went almost every night, the animation staff/ djs were fantastic, especially seeing the around the resort and talking to them, they made you feel welcomed, after shows they would go to the bar/ dance floor, made for a really good time

Misc: on site photographer did a great job, he was hilarious, did great work. Short drive to Port Lucaya Marketplace, could have spent all day there, ended up going twice. If possible, look at map of resort and request a room, as some are not ocean view, or near to the main bar.

Overall had a nice, relaxing week, with just the right amount of excitement, ate more than my fair share, might not return with a group of friends (I'm a university student), but it was definitely perfect for a family vacation and what we were looking for.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Alyshia S

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I just returned on Saturday after an awesome week in the Bahamas! I have to admit that after reading some of the negative comments I was a little nervous and had very low expectations. but we had an absolute blast! YES...this resort could use a little TLC in some areas but couldn't we all? :) I found the front desk staff to be very friendly towards us. In fact we never had any negative experience with any of the staff. I'm a very outgoing, friendly person so maybe that had something to do with it. We participated in so many of the activities. We did the yoga classes, Zumba, bingo, volleyball, the trapeze, kayaking, snorkeling, paddle boarding. We didn't get a chance to do some of the things we wanted to do because we ran out of time. We were always doing some kind of activity and the staff that ran the activities were OUTSTANDING! THEY BUSTED THEIR BUTTS OFF! They were so much fun all week. They work all day...put on a nightly show at 9 and right after the show are in the disco dancing away with the rest of us. I hope they get paid well because they earn it! Laura, Mama Ima, Keila, Marc, Alison, Marcus, Coco, Andreas.....YOU GUYS WERE GREAT! I think we were lucky to have some fun guests staying the same week. We met some really cool people from all over the world.
I am a really picky eater and I thought the food was fine. There was a lot of variety and we always found something we liked. The burgers on the beach and the late night pizza are DELISH! Make sure you get the pizza. You won't be disappointed. The bartenders took good care of us too. The basketball court and soccer area could use a little work though. The beach is AMAZING! I ran every morning and always felt safe. There were people selling things on the beach but when we said no thank you they left us alone. I have to say that I fell in love with the culture and the people of the Bahamas. I recommend taking a cab to Gold Rock Beach. You won't be sorry. Also Port Lucaya for shopping. I wasn't very fond of having to haggle with the cab drivers over the fares but we only left the resort a couple times.we hired Ruby one day for 5 hours to drive us all over and show us the sites in Freeport. That was a good time.
Overall...there were some things that could have been better...but the good things by far outweighed the bad and if you go through life looking for bad, negative things to complain about then that's what you will see. I can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Lori K
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest

We are very appreciative that you chose to spend your vacation here with us.

We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our staffs' hospitality, along with the products and services that we offer.

We do certainly look forward to your return.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2014

First of all don't believe the negative reviews. We travelled here as a family from February 16-23 from Ottawa. We were looking for a place that could offer us a reasonably priced vacation to somewhere warm and sunny. Viva Wyndham delivered! I spent a lot of time researching trips and kept coming back to this place for price and overall value. We were not disappointed! Yes this is a little older resort but its right on a beautiful beach! We had an ocean view ground floor room and could walk right out to the beach or pool. At how many 5 star resorts can you do this? No shuttles no major hikes to the beach its right there. Our room was a renovated room with 2 queen beds and a nice tiled bathroom. The shower was great, lots of hot water and excellent water pressure! Tip if at first you have no hot water turn your dial the other way, I bet the people who complained of no hot water were not turning the dial in the other direction from what you may be used to. Our room was cleaned every day and well stocked - tip your room attendant a little every day it makes a difference she was very nice and even left seashells for our daughter! The food was very good we enjoyed the buffet every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner there were always many good selections to choose from. Enjoyed the fresh fruit, yummy pasta and rice salads along with baked chicken, roast pork (carved by the chef) and great deserts (the chocolate brownies are noteworthy!) I honestly can't see what people would complain about except to say that if you are used to a 5 star then go there and leave this place for people who truly appreciate it and appreciate how hard all the staff work every day to make your vacation special. We tipped here and there- the kitchen and dining room staff work extremely hard and a smile went a long way. If you smile and say hello you will be rewarded with a smile back! Sour grapes bring sour grapes complainers! We felt safe the entire time- we did lock up our valuables in the room safe - you set the combinations so how can any staff have any access as a previous post suggested? This is just common sense no matter where you travel in the world and thefts can happen at 5 star resorts in Mexico and Dominican as well just use common sense and you will be fine! You wouldn't go and flash your large wad of cash or leave your electronics out in plain sight - its a vacation people leave your I-phones,I- pads etc at home and enjoy your beautiful surroundings get away from all that! We took cabs several times into town and the cab drivers were all professional and polite. Did the dolphin swim with UNEXSO and my daughter (age 11) and I loved it! Took a tour to Gold Rock beach amazing and enjoyed the glass bottom boat tour as well. The entertainment at the resort is great! We really enjoyed the nightly shows put on by the staff that works all day at the pool doing games, handing out beach towels, working at the water sports hut etc. What a fun loving hard working crew headed by Coco , KJ is an amazing performer and dancer, Alison is amazing on the trapeze. We are not huge drinkers but my husband and I enjoyed the Bahama Mamas (yummy!) Never a long wait for drinks I can't believe that people would complain about having to get your own drink at the bar - really what did you expect for what you paid? We saw some people who were drinking a lot all day long perhaps they are the complainers- its funny how some people will complain about those things yet they are the first ones and last ones at the all inclusive bar drinking the place dry! All in all we had a great vacation , we really enjoyed the resort where you can do as much or as little as you wanted all day. The beach is beautiful you can walk in either direction a long way and not even see another person! There are some very nice houses on either side of the resort. The food is good, the drinks are good, staff amazing and location beautiful. What more can one ask for in a trip. We look forward to returning next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated ocean view room you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank momsonja
Dear Guest

First and foremost we would like to thank you for sharing your experiences on trip advisor regarding your stay with us.

It was a pleasure to be afforded with the opportunity to meet your expectations, and we will certainly be looking forward to your return.

Best regards,

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The beach was spectacular! Overall, the staff was fine - Entertainment staff were really good about trying to get you involved in games and such by the beach and pool - they did a great job there and at the shows we attended at night. The drinks were ok, we did the all inclusive and were not a part of the time share crowd.

Food was terrible! Strange breakfast options at the buffet like hot dogs, chicken, corned beef, pudding....Some of the hot items tasted as if they were cooked the day before and then thrown under the warmer that morning.... Beach Bar hamburgers and fries were the best meal we had while at the resort. I lost weight while on this vacation...

The room we had was run down, we stayed in the Bimini Building facing the beach. Old mattress and bedding, slider door to the little patio had a busted lock and handle that had not been replaced...I think the better rooms may be over by the trapeze. If you do go to this resort, ask for a updated room.

I had mixed feelings about writing this review. I emailed the Wyndham Office first to give them a chance to comment and got no response. We're not people with a 5 star budget and didn't expect this resort to be 5 star. We had realistic expectations and this place fell short of even it's 3 star reputation. If you want an inexpensive trip to lay on a beautiful beach and the food, drinks, and rooms don't matter, this place is the place for you! If you are looking for a place close to town with more options to get off the resort, if you are looking for good food, good drinks, good rooms, you've got to spend more and go somewhere else. We looked at the bad reviews before we came and but hoped for the best. We were disappointed to find out that the reviews were pretty accurate. I If you want a 3+ Star experience you've got to go somewhere else. Better luck next time, huh!

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room - maybe in the buildings by the trapeze?
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TripReviewerz
Dear Customer

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach on your recent holidays.
I am glad that you enjoyed our spectacular beach and that you found our staff services satisfactory, especially our entertainment team; it is always a pleasure to receive our guest recognition and kind appreciation.

I also would like to thank you for sharing your comments about the rest of your experience; we consider your feed back as extremely important because it help us to determine the areas were improvement need to be revised, always with the aim to continuously increase our visitors satisfaction.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels