“SOLID 3 star, family oriented, relaxing hotel”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Like many people we were hesitant to book this location but boy am I glad we did. Like life, the Golden Rule applies here. Offer a genuine smile and hello and you get one just as genuine in return. If you have a problem, ask for help do not demand a remedy.
Staff from the front desk to the food and beverage service, to housekeeping and recreational people have been nothing but pleasant, chatty and informational for us. On the other hand I've seen a couple of exchanges between a belligerent guest and staff where the staff just shuts down. I would have reacted the same way. NO ONE should react to that kind of abuse in any other way.
Our room is fine. We are in the Bimini/#2/Green building and our room is great. Basic but fulfills our every need. The view is to die for and mere steps to the beach/pool/everything.Bedding is spotless, beds are cozy but to be honest, with all there is to do here we've really only been in the room to sleep, so this perfect for us.
Food is plentiful, and wildly varied. If you have trouble finding something acceptable to eat here my guess is you struggle in most food places.Maybe not gourmet but filling, varied and lots of it. I agree with an earlier contributor, introduce yourself to Irene at the grill station. Let her prepare what the special is of the day her way and you will love it.
Marcus at the beach bar is delightful and given the chance will conconct some delicious things that most guests don't know to ask for.
the pool spotless as is kiddy pool and Jacuzzi. the beach is wonderful. Lounge chairs galore. Even if you show up late in the day you will find seating.
There are peddlers on the beach but GIVEN the chance react politely to being told "no thanks." On the other hand we've befriended a couple of super nice guys that have given us wonderful suggestions on things to do away from the resort. Brian, the jetski guys is one of the nicest people we've met and had turned us on to island secrets we hope he does not share with too many people.
One more thing about the beach. The property has laid cement paving to a number of palapas and lounge chairs for those guests in wheelchairs so they don't need to struggle with the sand,. NICE TOUCH Wyndham!!
The ONLY crime we've felt here is that we cannot stay longer!
So in summary, gauge your expectaions to three stars, be pleasant and ready to see all the good things and you will have a GREAT time!!!

Room Tip: Bimini building is farthest from late night music.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Terilyn R
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Customer

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach and of course for posting your positive experience on this site.

We are very happy to find out that you enjoyed our service and facilities; receiving our guest appreciation give us the satisfaction to reach our main goal, which is provide to all our visitors a pleasant experience.

We truly appreciate your preference and hope to welcome you back in the future for another great time.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach

Write a ReviewReviews (4,636)

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed at the Viva Wyndham in October. Weather was nice, beach was nice, resort not so much. I mean if you are looking to go to rhe Bahamas on a budget and all you care about is relaxing at the pool or the beach then I'd say go for it. Do not expect great food or drinks because you won't get it. You can go into town for dinner but you'll pay a pretty penny for a taxi ride. Just to give you an example of our food experience we went to the "Italian restaurant" one night and I ordered the "lasagna"... Did you notice I put it in quotes? I've had spaghetti-o's better than what I had that night. We ended up going to the buffet afterwards and got some random food that was out. Which brings me to the next thing: he buffet. GET THERE EARLY. It is in an open-air building and once that sun gets high and it starts to get hot, the flies get in everything. They do their best to keep them out with mosquito nets over the food but once a bunch of people have gone through the line and opened them, the flies find their way in... Not appetizing. As for the drinks, they were alright. I didn't drink very much because all the drinks I got were super sugary and of course the alcohol was super cheap (but you kinda have to expect that in a 3 star resort).

As for what I did like about this resort, the activities were awesome! They have trapezing (sp?), windsurfing, kayaking, snorkeling, and a bunch of interactive activities by the pool. The rooms were nice. A little warm and humid, but that kinda comes with the territory.

Overall, if you're looking to go here just to get away and don't really care about having the best food or drinks just go. In the grand scheme of things it is nice... I guess I'm a little bit of a resort snob (I like my food and drinks, mk?).

• Stayed: October 2013
7  Thank Lauryn N

Dear Guest

Thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach on you past holidays.
We are pleased after reading your review to discover how much you enjoyed our daily activities and sports facilities; it is always a pleasure to receive our guest appreciation and find it our that were able to provide a pleasant stay.

We regret that our food options did not met your expectations and best rest assure that your comments will assist us in our constant aim to improve day by day all our visitor experience.

On behalf of all our staff, I would like to thank you once gain for your kind review and for staying with us, hoping to have the pleasure to be once again at your service.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I was looking to book a vacation for my family without breaking the bank. I found this resort and seen the bad reviews but I wasn't to tell you it was not as people say. We had a great time, great beaches, wonderful and friendly staff. I wouldn't ask for a better vacation. My oldest got to go diving with their awesome I house diving team. My youngest and myself enjoyed the nightly shows and the over all peaceful vacation that we had. We enjoyed it so much we wanted to stay another day. The only thing we didn't like was the oriantal restaurant but the Italian one was good and the open restaurant always had lots to choose from. Also massage was great but they don't really have a spa.
A happy family from Alberta

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Mitzi D

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as destination.

I also would like to thank you for posting your positive review about your experience with us; your comments give us the satisfaction to discover that we were able to meet your expectations and that we offered you a pleasant stay.

We sincerely hope to have the honor to be again at your service,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We went for a long weekend. We had a great time. The people are amazing. The drinks are very tasty and the food was good. I wouldn't rave over the food, but it was good. A little plain for our taste but a great variety for everybody. No complaints about anything.

The beach was great. Sand was gorgeous and lots of chairs no hunting to get a chair.
Pool was always clean and our room was also always clean.
Nightly entertainment was great.

All the complaint we have read before going. Were all false. It is a 3 star so if you want a 5 star go to one.

This place was a great place for a little mini vaca and we will probably be returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tina H
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach during your recent vacations. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities.

Furthermore, we are happy to know that we exceeded your expectations. Our customer's satisfaction is our constant goal.
We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Great deal on a pretty beach; better for snorkeling than swimming. The rooms were attractive and well furnished and very clean. Three choices for all inclusive dining but note that the 2 restaurants were better for dining than the buffet hall. Not much to do on this island as the interior is all pine forest but Gold Rock beach is a must see! Don't go with the bus groups as they'll charge too much. Better to rent a car for the day and drive the 15 miles yourself. There are also caves across the highway from that beach to see in the Lucayan National Park.

Room Tip: Get the ocean front rooms as they are recently updated
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ellen B

Dear Guest

First of all we thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach on your recent holidays!
We extremely pleased reading how you enjoyed your experience here with us and the advices given for future visitor's to read.

It is really rewarding to receive our guest positive recognition as our aim is to offer a pleasant and happy stay to all of you.

Once again, thank you for your honest review and we hope to have the pleasure to be once again at your service.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Travelled Jan 18-25, 2014
The first tip I would like to provide to people travelling with Sunwing from Toronto, is to double and triple-check when you have to check out of your room on departure day. The flight home isn't until after 10 p.m. and the rules are, you need to check out by 11 a.m. At least that is what one of the tour reps told us. When I asked a different tour rep, where should we put our suitcases, she inquired why we were checking out so early, since we were ok until 1 p.m.
This is not the hotel's mistake, but poor communication on Sunwing's part.

It was a lovely resort, with a beach that was great and you could take very long walks in either direction. We received a tip from someone at the resort to go visit the Sandbar which is along the beach (when you are facing the beach at the resort, walk right for about 5 minutes) Look for a sign with two dolphins and it is also referred to as the Margharita Sandbar. Very cute little place with lots of character, and the floor is sand. Lots of locals (I mean Americans and Canadians who now live, or winter there) Bartenders I met were absolutely delightful and great conversations.
Hopped into town on a couple of occasions to visit Port Lucaya for a little shopping and the casino across the street. Casino is fairly new and small by our standards, but lots of fun when the slots play along. There are tables and roulette as well.
Food at the restaurant - Buffet style but there is enough variety to suit. The a la cart restaurants were nice and food was great, and no hassle to book whatsoever.
I loved the room since we were near the end on the 2nd floor and facing the ocean. Away from the noise of the disco in the evenings, and falling asleep with the sound of the waves is a real treat. Lots of time spent on the balcony in the early morning (even though chilly at this time of year) but very peaceful for reading a good book.
I have to mention the bar staff in the main bar because they were the most friendliest, hard-working bunch I've seen in a long time. Always a smile and they remembered your drink and had a friendly "don't worry darling, I have you covered". They were great !

I would definitely go back since this is great value for the cost, rooms face the ocean, amazing sunsets and friendly staff. I'm not a fussy traveller since I think the experience can be a good one based on the people you meet and how open and flexible you are. Sometimes you just need a break and not to worry about the small stuff, so we had a very nice time. Thank You!

Room Tip: most rooms look over the ocean enjoy the sunrise or sunsets depending which direction you are faci...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank birutebToronto

Dear Customer

On behalf of Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Team, I would like to thank you for posting your positive review about your experience with us.

Your comments give us the satisfaction to discover that we were able to meet your expectations and that we were able to offer you a pleasant stay.

We sincerely hope to have the honor to be again at your service,

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed here in May of 2013...cant rate the food, as I ate all of my meals away from the hotel. The drinks were decent, I often left the bar with a cup in each hand. The accommodations were typical for the Bahamas.. the rooms were clean and the staff was pleasant. I love Grand Bahama Island, My previous stay was at the Grand Lucayan, its a much nicer hotel but also much more expensive.

Room Tip: as with any hotel, if you are not happy with your room, request it be changed
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank thabadest

Dear Guest

First of all we would like to thank you for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach!
We are very pleased and happy after reading your review and discovering how much you enjoyed during your past stay; We also thank you for taking the time to post your honest and positive review for all our upcoming guests to read; it is always a pleasure to received our guest appreciation to our services and facilities.
Hoping you will be back to visit us,