“Not Impressed”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Mississauga, Canada
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

After reading many of the reviews on this site I was prepared for an unimpressive hotel. It is. If you want a very spartan room with no amenities (old bar fridge with nothing in it), no dresser to store your clothes, hard mattresses, funky sliding doors to balconies, you've come to the right place. You get one bottle of water on your arrival and have to hike to the bar for a refill. Don't recommend you use the tap water to even make coffee -- your intestines will not like you.
If you have any mobility issues this place is not for you. Long walks to most of the rooms will kill you.
The food is very average. Any beef dishes are chewy.
The $25 lobster dinner is worth it. The "oriental" a la carte restaurant is a farce.
The beach is lovely, but the water is a 100 yard walk from the pool deck.
Note to self: beware hotels that picture the pool and not much else.
The staff are very friendly and accomodating, it's not their fault.
The staff at the PADI 5 Star dive shop are well-trained and run an excellent operation -- just be prepared for a long hike from the shop to the beach where the boat lands. No dock.
They put up "Student City" banners for the influx of March breakers who were a major nuisance.
I could never justify wanting to go back here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Laurie W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Hungarian first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on feb 22 for six nights. Had A good time all the staff where friendly and helpful. The rooms are good and clean. Considering your in the path off a major hurricane this past year. Things take time. Lots of things to do or not to do, its up to you. Food was good they have something different all the time. One draw back no bus service out that way.

Loud disco ever night!

Would go back. Diy Bonefishing near by!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Enjoy. ask for a room away from the disco if a light sleeper
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
VivaWyndhamFortuna1, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort for your vacation destination.

It is always a pleasure to read how our guests enjoyed their vacation experience with us at our resort and the amenities provided for you all as well the friendliness of our dedicated staff.

On behalf of the staff and management, we would like to thank you once more for your honest review and for staying here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach.

Kindest Regards,

Saint Cloud, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Vacation from HELL
On our first night, at the Grand Bahamas Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach my husband, 8 year old girl, 5 year old girl, and myself were looking for the vacation of a life time, having saved for many, many years. Upon arrival, we were treated to the following disappointed experience the first two days (we arrived at 6:30 pm Monday night)
Music (mega base booming) until 2 am on Monday night. I did request prior to arrival and at the time arrival, a room located away from the bar and night club because of all the negative reviews I had read on Trip Advisor and other online resort review sites.
People tried to open our door two different times first night. Imagine freaking out while on two different occasions there were two different people trying to enter your door while you and your family slept on the other side. We finally placed a chair in front of the door in efforts to hear a potential assailant while we were sleeping.
When I asked to switch rooms in the morning because the music was blaring and we felt unsafe due to 2 attempts to enter room, staff at front desk said, ( I believe her name was Jetta), “What do you expect it is spring break. “ Then she told me there were no rooms available to switch to which would accommodate our safety and sleeping concerns, but checked again and there was a possible room available but I should check back in two hours. When I checked back the room was no longer available and she offered another in a smoking room. This was not an acceptable option for a non smoking family with two young ladies.

One of our beds had a pronounced sag in the middle and when someone moved on it, the spring creaked, creaked enough to wake the other in the bed. This complaint in itself would not need to be mentioned had others issues not been present.
The shower adjustment lever swung 360 degrees, so no telling what temp the water would be.
The toilet kept running long after a flush, in fact 2.5 hours after a flush our first night
Tuesday's entertainment was something a mother of two young ladies never expected from the vacation of their dreams. After hearing the DJ suggest and allow vulgar and degrading rap contests, we chose to take a long, I mean long walk along the beach, returning 3.5 hrs later. We hoped the DJ had tired and the smut show had ended.
Tuesday, one of the drunk spring breakers told me that I was "[--] sexy" three times while I was walking with my 5 and 8 year old girls. Mind you, those are his words and not mine I had to explain to them what it meant to be drunk. This was 4:30 in the afternoon!
While walking to dinner on Tuesday, we encountered the hot tub filled beyond capacity with spring breakers. To boot they were chanting, 'Take it off" over and over again to some of the spring break gals in the hot tub. All while, I observed 3 staff members in ear shot walk by and not say a word. Imagine explaining to a 5 and 8 year old young lady, why some people were telling girls to take their clothes off.
When my husband went to the front desk to complain about the sprinklers being around 6pm and soaking the side walks just in time for my 8 year old to slip, scrape her knee, wrist and get scratched our her heel by the bush, he encountered a frustrated guest services rep who showed him an internal memo suggesting the company advise families that march is spring break time and advise them not to come or at least make them aware. When my husband asked for a copy of the memo, the clerk took the memo from him and stated she cannot give it to him because it is internal and she could get in trouble.
The beach was amazing and the non motorized sport activities were great!
We had arranged for a few off site activities prior to arriving to the resort and will add to this list due to the vulgarity, disrespect and over all inappropriateness we've encounter on a level unfathomable.
My story ends here on Tuesday because I refuse to dwell on the bad. I look forward to the rest of our time here in Beautiful Freeport, Bahamas. I just think others should be aware before they get here and potentially share the same faith as my lovely and enduring family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank mrshak

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I visited the Viva Wyndham from February 27th until March 4th. The hotel is not much to the eye. The rooms where motel grade rooms. Not much to speak of at all. The beach was great and we took in a lot of it. The staff has a lot to be desired. We where at the Viva for six days and I can count on one hand the number of staff that where friendly and pleasant. Most of the staff seemed angry and not happy at all. On more then one occasion we spoke to staff to not even receive a nod in reply. Also, the noise after 9:30 pm was unbelievable. The spring breakers arrived on the last night of our stay and they where very inappropriate and the staff not once tried to control them. We did in fact enjoy the Bahamas but will not be returning to the Viva again.

1 Thank Cunningham93
Dear Guest

First of all it is always a pleasure to read all our guests opinions and comments about our Service provide, and regarding odd matters we are glad that you like your husband had a great time in Grand Bahama Island.
Yet we would like to mention that we will be approaching a time of renovations for not only room also surroundings of the resort for a better experience and fulfil all needs for our guests to enjoy the max of their most waited vacations.
Also mentioning about our Staff members we are glad to read your comments and not at least that we have in progress our Staff members training in Hospitality for all international Guests in all our Departments in our Resorts, and your review help us to improve and do better in a future knowing that our guest should have 100% stressed free vacations.
Ending on behalf of the staff and management here, we would like to thank you once again, for not only your generous hospitality, but for your great review also, for all our upcoming guests to read. It is always appreciated.
Kindest regards

Champaign, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

My friend and I purchased an all-inclusive package for a long weekend at the Viva Wyndham Fortuna resort. This was our first experience with this sort of package, and our first experience with this sort of resort, so feel free to take this review with a grain of salt.

Good:
- The facilities felt very clean, including our room, the public areas, the hot tub, and the beach.
- The secluded location meant that it really felt like we were getting away from everything.
- My friend has dietary restrictions, and the staff did their best to make recommendations for menu items that might work for her.
- It was great to be able to borrow bikes at no charge! We really enjoyed our bike adventure.
- We enjoyed our dinner at the Asian restaurant.

Adequate:
- While we appreciated the range of options, we were both extremely tired of buffet food after the first few meals. The food wasn't bad - it just wasn't very good either.
- We tried to go to the Asian restaurant (Bamboo) on our first night, only to discover that it was closed (though the door was open). Reservations are required, but that isn't well publicized.
- The drinks were weak, but they were free, so we were mostly happy!
- It would have been helpful to have more information in our room about activities or the facilities. I only found the fitness center because I happened to walk in that direction when heading out for a run.
- On the whole, the staff seemed pretty disinterested in dealing with the guests. I don't blame them - I wouldn't want to deal with a bunch of idiot tourists either - but I also don't work at a resort.

Frustrating:
- I suppose we should have expected the hard sell on the vacation packages. Neither of us were interested, and it was frustrating to feel constant pressure to attend the sales pitch, followed by dirty looks when we made it clear that we weren't buying.
- The music from the beach party was loud enough that we - regular club-goers back home - called security to complain. Our room was far away from the source of the noise, but the bass still thumped til quite late.
- I'm thankful that we didn't purchase any excursions as we were able to get to the Port Lucaya Market, the International Bazaar, and downtown Freeport for free by bike. The perfume factory in particular seemed like a rip-off.
- Perhaps it's just a cultural difference, but I was quite uncomfortable with the attention I received from male staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank diva_e
Carlyle, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at Fortuna Beach from Feb 4th-18th,2013. We were on our honeymoon and first vacation in over 15yrs. We were very worried about this trip because we didn't read any reviews before booking. We booked through Westjet vacations. Upon arrival we were greeted with warm welcomes. The drive to the resort was quick. We were very quickly checked in. Had a great concierge bring our bags to our room and give us a quick run down of the area.
We very quickly went to supper as our flight was a late one. There was enough food to feed an army. Even a fussy eater like me with allergies was able to eat to my hearts content.
The room was spacious and very clean. Beautiful view of the ocean on one side and the resort on the other.
We met the best tour guy "Mike" in the world. He is honest and very kind. If you want to book a trip or excursion book it through him. He has great connections. If he feels it may be unsafe due to weather he will tell you.
The staff is amazing. Very helpful and friendly.
I'm not sure what all these negative reviews are about. Bad travelers with no sense of fun or adventure I suppose.
We had the time of our lives and our planning our next trip with our sons this time.
And there is no such thing as a weak drink here.
FYI GO TO GOLD ROCK BEACH.....A++++++
Banana Bay has the best banana bread in the world I'm convinced...so light and fluffy...made fresh when you order.
Keep an open mind when travelling.....sometimes it's what you make of it that ruins ur trip.
Have Fun Travelers. :)

Room Tip: Ask for Bimini building 7....has a great view of entire beach.
2 Thank Dunn2012
Dear Guest

We would like to say thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach as your vacation destination.
We are thrilled to read how you enjoyed your experience here with us and all our staff and were pleased to read how you have enjoyed our rooms, our restaurants as well as what the beach and island offered to you.
We would love to welcome again with us in our resort. Don’t hesitate to contact us if we can assist you with anything. Our returning guests are the most valuable to us therefore it would really be a pleasure to see you again.

Kindest regards,

The ocean in CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I visited the Viva Wyndham Feb. 23 thru Mar. 2. I had read all the reviews and was a bit skeptical about the place but thought for the price it would be O.K. That is exactly what it is, just O.K. We paid for an upgraded room (flora) and I'm not sure exactly what we got. The room (A5201) had a view of scrub grounds and a chain link fence. The bed sagged towards the middle. The tube type TV, fridge and alarm clock didn't work. We stayed 2 nights there. I asked to be moved to another room and the front desk gladly obliged. Our next room (A2101) had a view of the pool/trapeze area. It had been remodeled and was much nicer. The bed was very comfortable, had a flat screen TV and a clock that worked.

A lot of the rooms are very close to the bar area and unfortunately they start playing REALLY LOUD music around 11:00 pm. The bass is pounding until around 1:30 am. I'm serious when I say "Bring Ear Plugs"...you'll be glad you did.

The staff was a mixed bag. Some were very nice and cordial while some wouldn't acknowledge you in any way. I tipped well for everything and many times wouldn't get a simple "thank you".

The beach is fantastic! We went for long walks everyday and the water temp was perfect in the ocean and the pool. Decent snorkeling off the beach at the hotel...a good variety of fish and corals.

We both thought the food was average...nothing special but not bad either. We went to Berthas Blue Dinghy down the beach for dinner and it was terrific...Lobster, fish and conch...Bertha is a wonderful woman who works hard to please her customers. Check it out! Also stopped by Tony Macaroni's for a few beers and roasted conch...you gotta' do this!

All in all, the Viva Wyndham is a decent place. Don't set your expectations too high and you'll have a great time...just be sure to bring ear plugs.......

Room Tip: Next time I'm going for a room in the Bimini bldg. as far away from the bar as possible...they h...
Dear Guest

We would like to say thank you, for visiting Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach resort as your vacation destination.

First of all we would like to apologize for any inconvenience that may arise wile in our property, yet we are glad to hear that we have accommodate you both as best for your experience in Grand Bahamas Island, also we are glad to read that not only you have enjoyed our most precious beach also some other Bahamian Atmosphere with a truly Island flavour.

We also apologize for any matter that my have disturbed you wile trying to have a great and rest vacations here with us and we would like to let you know that we have fallowed the matter to the personnel responsible for the consequence procedures.

Although we cannot change what has happened in the past, we will utilize your comments for improvement in the future.

On behalf of the staff and management here at Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, we would like to apologize once more for the uncomfortable experience you encountered with us, yet we would like to thank you for your hospitality and honest review.

Kindest Regards,