“Wow what a mess” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Calabash Eco Adventures

Calabash Eco Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hello and welcome to our trip advisor page! Calabash Eco Adventures is an adventure tour company on the Island of Freeport Grand Bahama. We operate adventure tours throughout the entire Island including activities like kayaking, snorkeling, biking, birding, sightseeing, cave diving and blue holes. Our adventure tours are all combo tours meaning multiple interest in one adventure such as some sightseeing during narrative drives to multiple destinations with desired activities at each destination ending with beach and lunch. Please read our reviews and visit our website and if we gain your interest then "explore Grand Bahama the way it was meant to be seen"...
Parker, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wow what a mess”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were scheduled for a kayak, snorkel, lunch, shopping excursion. It was to start at 8:00am and go until 1:00pm. We were promised two guides because we had several children with us. The only guide showed up at 9:00am. We assumed another guide would meet us at the site. Wrong.
We were not matched up for the kayaking so some of us struggled. We left the snorkel site late and with strong winds we couldn't get back to shore and had to be rescued by a (lucky for us) boat passing by. There was no lunch, no shopping and we barely made it back to our cruise ship before the ship left. If we hadn't been rescued, we would probably still be trying to get back to the states. Thank goodness I had scheduled an extra half hour buffer or we would have been out of luck! Never again!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank GG2Tutr
CalabashEcoAdventure, Owner at Calabash Eco Adventures, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
My name is Shamie Rolle, i am the proud owner of Calabash Eco Adventures and what my team does, especially in the case of this reviewer.

My response is not to the writer of this review, she knows she is misleading you, but to the readers. This review is mostly untrue!!! Our mistake was on their pickup time. We arrived assuming we would pickup for 9AM. For this i am completely sorry, She was suppose to be picked up 8AM. We had her down as a 9AM pickup. She was a party of 13, once was made aware of our mistake i spoke to her over the phone while my guide waited with her. She was explained my mistake on her booking in regards to pickup time. She ask could they still go on tour and i offered her a tour of just kayaking and snorkeling without the lunch stop (we do not offer kayak, snorkel and shopping excursion at all). She accepted the offer as it included a large discount from her original price of $935 down to $495.

This day we had 2 groups on tour. Her party of 13 and another party of 14. Each with own vehicle, guide and equipment. The party of 14 Kayak across to the small island without a problem, 90 minutes snorkeling no problems, return kayak to the main island without a problem, had lunch at our lunch and beach destination no problem, return on time to their ship, i think i mentioned, no problems!

Party of 13...well...my guide RICO (please read the excellent reviews on trip advisor on RICO) called and expressed to me that the reviewer and some of her family members were a distraction to the tour THEY accepted. Yes we were late, but if you accepted our apology and still wanted a tour experience, let us do that job. They didn't follow instructions, they didn't follow the offered guided snorkeling. The guide found himself waiting around as "Grandma" as he call her would distract the groups attention from instructions. On the return kayaking trip back to the main island, 1 kayak decided they will not kayak back and the entire family (which were already launched) decided they to will not kayak back. Remember the other group on tour a party of 14 had no problems in the same conditions. The guide (RICO) being aware of their ship schedule and how difficult it was on having them follow instructions ask a friend whom was on tour with his guests to take our guests back to their launch site by way of boat.

AT the end, we gave the reviewer another discount from $495 down to $300. We only did so to get her to move and not miss her ship...

Chipley, Florida
“Kayak and Snorkeling GREAT Trip!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Thank you Rico and Jarrell for the great trip. Rico was a great guide and made the van ride lots of fun for both the adults and the kids (9 and 15). Jarrell was wonderful and patient as it was my 9 year old's first snorkeling trip. Jarrell stayed close to my son and made sure he saw lots of fish. The water was quite cool and choppy, but still had an incredible time. The kayaking can be tricky and a little workout if you have never done it before and the seas are choppy. But you take your time, enjoy the scenery, and the adventure. Even my teenager had a great time with "the guys"!! Thank you VI (Rico) and Jarrell for the great memories!

Cashiers, North Carolina
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Thanks for a FUN day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Thank you to Shamie, Rico and Jarrel (sp) for the great kayak snorkel adventure! Jarrel was a wonderful guide who showed patience and genuine caring about having a good experience. The water was a bit choppy and on the cool side, but we thoroughly enjoyed the time spent with him. Banana Bay provided a nice lunch-order the cracked conch, its tender and cooked to perfection! My granddaughter says hi to VI ( Rico) from MooTow!

1 Thank Kathy M
luka_luka_luka
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Inland Blue Hole and Kayaking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We did two tours with Shamie: Kayaking and Inland Blue hole. Both were great fun! Our kids, 11 and 8 loved it. Great way to explore the island. Shamie is a wonderful guide.

1 Thank luka_luka_luka
toronto
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Huge waste of time and money, definitely regret booking this one.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

The tour guide was nice I will give them that very friendly, but the snorkeling was horrible, the worst I have gone, there was nothing to see. The kayak experience was nice as it was my first time, but a warning would be it is exhausting, some people really struggled it was a good exercise but a lot harder and physically demanding then I expected it was more of a chore then enjoyable but its kayaking so if you have been and enjoy it then it would be best part of the trip besides the food. The food was at Banana Bay it was good standard food.

I would advise not booking this tour there are many others that are probably better but after booking this I decided it was my last tour. For about half the price you could do some real snorkeling at Dead Mans reef at Paradise cove. They have everything the kayaks ect, but you just rent it and head out this is 100 times better, with the Calabash tour you spend most the time in the van picking up people to go to the tour, and they cram you in the van, On top of that if someone in the group has to be back early your trip is cut short and rushed which was the case when I went, I would advise if you do take the chance of going on this trip have 14 people in your group, one person can ruin the whole tour as they dont adjust the tour they just make everyone leave early and rush everything. The snorkle we did was about 20 minutes whole tour was maybe 2 hours, with 2 hours or picking and dropping people off.

Overall it was not an enjoyable experience if someone had offered to pay me what I paid to do this tour I wouldnt go put it that way.

1 Thank tripstripstrips19
CalabashEcoAdventure, Owner at Calabash Eco Adventures, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Hello!
My name is Shamie Rolle and i am the owner of Calabash Eco Adventures.

I am writing to you due to your experience. My concern is based on a certain part of the overall tour experience. I would like to first point out that we are a tour company. All tour companies on island has a time structure that includes; pickup, drop off, activity and if offered lunch/beach time. Each of the items listed has an allocated time frame which then equals the overall time of the tour. What you booked with us was a tour experience which is open to others booking and we accommodate a maximum of 14 on that type of tour experience. You did not book a private tour with us, which we offer if requested and we would accommodate a single person on that type of tour experience.

I am truly sorry that you had a bad tour experience with us and i am interested in rectifying that. But also take note of our reviews. Our reviews indicate overwhelmingly an excellent rating for this our most popular tour, Kayak Snorkel Adventure.

Here is where i am concern, you mentioned that your snorkeling time was only 20 minutes. 20 minutes is not an allocated time for this part of the activity. The minimum time allowed here is 60 minutes and the maximum is 90 minutes. I would appreciate if you would email me at shamie@calabashecoadventures.com and share with me these details; the name of the person the tour was booked in, how many persons were in that party, date of tour experience, where we picked you up from and your guide's name. I would look into this immediately and quickly respond to this concern.

I do appreciate your review on your experience and look forward to your response to my personal email account...