“Owl Hole and Lucayan National Park tour”

Calabash Eco Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hello and welcome to our trip advisor page! Calabash Eco Adventures is an adventure tour company on the Island of Freeport Grand Bahama. We operate adventure tours throughout the entire Island including activities like kayaking, snorkeling, biking, birding, sightseeing, cave diving and blue holes. Our adventure tours are all combo tours meaning multiple interest in one adventure such as some sightseeing during narrative drives to multiple destinations with desired activities at each destination ending with beach and lunch. Please read our reviews and visit our website and if we gain your interest then "explore Grand Bahama the way it was meant to be seen"...
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Owl Hole and Lucayan National Park tour”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We booked this excursion before leaving for a 4 day carnival cruise to the bahamas. My wife and I had Shamie as our personal tour guide for the day. Shamie drove us to the owl hole, which is an inland blue hole, where we climbed down a 30 foot ladder and snorkled. Shamie went into great details regarding how Freeport became an island and how the blue holes were created, Shamie then took us to Lucayan national park where he explained the different eco systems and we hiked to a beautiful beach, We finally went to another beautiful beach and ate lunch.

The tour was a very unique experience for us. Shamie is an expert on history of island, wild life, and he is a certified scuba diver, The blue hole was something most of the tourist visiting Freeport never experienced. Lucayan national park is a must see when visiting Freeport. Also for lunch we had fresh mahi mahi.

I think for anyone who is a certified diver this is a must excursion. As for us, this was a very unique experience and worth the money, I would recommend spending a little extra and also go to the blue hole close to the ocean. Shamie said it was over an hour away and we did not have the time. The only negative was Shamie did get a little too detailed on each species of birds, and other wild life. When we didn't comment right away, he would say should I continue? But overall I though he was a good guy. Definitely book this excursion if you want to see the blue holes of Freeport. Otherwise, I would take the other excursions or go by yourself and spend the day at Lucayan national park.

Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Kayak and Snorkel Tour 11/5 w/ Rico”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The best decision of our vacation was not booking a Carnival Cruise, it was booking the Kayak Snorkel tour with Calabash, and Rico in particular. I was cruising with my wife, 21 yr old sister, 16 yr old brother in law, and 16 year old cousin in law (unsure if that's a thing), and we all had an amazing time. Rico was knowledgeable and funny, without being the usual scripted and corny tour guide. The snorkeling was great, as well as the small "locals" restaurant by the sea we stopped at for lunch. He took us for a great tour on the way back to the ship, which a couple of us said was their favorite part of the tour. I'd recommend this excursion to anyone, and I'd ask for Rico if you could.

Oh, and there was an awesome guy (can't remember his name) that helped everyone look for seashells while Rico got our equipment ready. When we returned, he gave my sister a container full of beautiful shells which definitely made the trip for the girls.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank AGodbolt
Goshen, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Snorkeling/Kayak Adventure with Calabash”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We recently had the pleasure of meeting Rico and having an awesome guided adventure! I took a Carnival cruise and booked this excursion directly through Calabash's website. Rico was waiting for us 15-30 minutes prior to our departure time, so we got an early start. It was just the 3 of us, Rico, myself and my daughter, so instead of taking a van, we were escorted in a car. We learned a lot about the ecosystem on our drive, then stopped for lunch at Banana Bay. Our lunch was ready when we arrived, it was fantastic! We explored the beach area and took some photos, then off to kayak! Our kayak was ready and waiting for us. Rico gave us a brief kayak lesson (I've only kayaked once before.) At the next island, he briefed us on snorkeling. We did not enter the water until we were satisfied that we were comfortable. He stayed within 10 feet of us at all times and pointed out things that would catch his eye. We had on life vests which helped keep us afloat in the more shallow areas. It was magnificent! We saw beautiful fish and coral. We were in the water for at least 90 minutes! On our way back to the cruise ship, my daughter mentioned that the only thing that would make the trip perfect would be to end it with some superman ice cream, her all time favorite. Rico took a little detour and voila! We had our ice cream and were back to the ship in plenty of time! We loved everything about our excursion and would do it again given the chance! Do not miss this opportunity!!!

1 Thank susan506
Washington, DC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Stunning scenery, relaxing experience, best part of our trip!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We decided to do the kayak and snorkel to Peterson's Cay, followed by Banana Bay lunch (date was end of September). Our cruise ship docked at 7 am and we had a prompt pick up from Wellington around 7:30 am. The launch area was not far away so we were probably in our kayaks by 8:30 in the morning on water that was smooth as glass. My husband and I had a private tour! Peterson's key was empty when we reached it. We snorkeled for a full hour before anyone else showed up, and even then it was a small group of 6 or 8 people. Warning: the snorkeling is so great you will NOT want to leave! It pained me to say goodbye, I could have circled the little island another couple times. Banana Bay is beautiful, we had a leisurely meal, a nap in the hammock, and waded into the clear shallow water. All this and back to our cruise ship by 1 pm! It was our favorite excursion of our whole trip. (Other travellers who went shopping did not think Freeport was great -- go with Calabash and you will love it!)

Visited September 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best Part of the Tour!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We did two adventures-the kayak and snorkel and Dover sound kayak. Both our guides (Shamie and Rico) were gracious and knowledgeable. Both sites were beautiful and the beach side restaurant where we had lunch was stunning (Banana Bay). The activities allowed us to see parts of the island in-depth that other tours or self-guided tours would not have allowed. There was not one problem or inconvenience on the trip and the hosts actually went out of their way to make sure that we were all comfortable. For instance, our snorkel and kayak tour included a wide variety of age and skill levels and everyone was made comfortable and had a great time. For the Dover Sound adventure, Shamie picked us up and conducted the tour even though it was only the two of us-something I know other companies might not do. This is most definitely the company to go with if you are looking to really experience what the bahamas has to offer besides the resorts!