“Great dives and pics”
Review of Grand Bahama Scuba

Grand Bahama Scuba
More attraction details
Owner description: Grand Bahama Scuba is a scuba operation in Freeport Bahamas running dive trips to various sites on the south shore of Grand Bahama. Training is offered at all levels from Intro to Scuba, certification to Scuba Instructor.
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The "good": great dives at shark junction; another dive at a georgous reef with grooves, coral tunnels, and great sea life; free pick-up and drop-off at our hotel; and GREAT photos by Melinda. I didn't think we'd be doing a shark junction dive (no feeding), but we really liked it and were glad when we dove the same spot the next day. The photos were especially appreciated because I forgot to pack my dive camera. Brilliant. But Melinda gave us great shots of sharks and a ray that came thru the same area and shots of my kids diving that are priceless. I had no idea the dives would come with great photos. I suppose by diving shark junction twice in two days, we missed some other reef, but doubling up on the sharks ended up fine since dive two came with the ray and the first dive at the junction included three moray eels along with all the sharks.

The "bad", which also turned out to be quite good: Melinda struck us initially as curt (probably didn't help that my call to confirm arrangements was made from a loud car crowded with friends en route to a fish fry) but we really warmed to her. She's professional, safe, and maybe only as curt as needed to herd the cats. Also, it took much longer than we expected to get dropped off at our hotel after day 1 of diving because we were the third group dropped off and had to wait quite awhile. By the time we left, we were wishing we had called a cab. But then Melinda made sure we were the first to get dropped off the next day. So, it all evens out and the pick up and drop offs saved us $75-$100 in cab fares. As I said, what initially seemed "bad" turned out quite fine.

Regarding certification, they certified two divers in our group who came with referrals - one SSI and one from a PADI school. They handled both and we're able to issue cards on the spot with SDI certification.

One other comment, we had a disparate range of divers on the boat. Unless you're filling up the boat you might expect that. Melinda and Fred, in my opinion, did a good job balancing everyone's needs. For example, they told the divers getting certified that they did not have to dive all the way to the bottom; they only needed to get below 20 feet for 20+ minutes to be certified. Of course, the divers went to full depth but the point is they were encouraged to dive within their comfort zones. Experienced divers were given as much time as they needed to make good use of their air.

Diving with Grand Bahama Scuba was a highlight of a great trip to the Bahamas and we hope to be back for more. Why a four vs five star review? Keep your expectations reasonable...this is not a luxury experience...it's a dive boat, and a very good one at that. If you're trying to decide on Unexso vs this, you should feel very comfortable picking Fred and Melinda. I haven't gone with Unexso and can't compare the two, but I like what this family business delivers.

All reviews
"deep dive"
"great operation"
"open water certification"

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Wow, what a great week of diving. My son and I did 9 dives, my wife did 1 shallow reef and my daughter dove for the first time and was hooked. She loved it so much after one dive that she asked to be certified. This was her first week out of school and she was eager to study her scuba book. Melinda was a gem and made her so comfortable both in and out of the water. Fred & Melinda Riger were wonderful, and we can't wait to go back. Best dive crew ever!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I recently sent in a review using this company which I thought was the one which gave me the tour that I reviewed. I am sorry to report that it was the wrong company. I can not find the review I wrote to make the corrections - which I thought I already did - so maybe it has been removed. Please, everyone, disregard my low rating for this company, it was done inadvertantly.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

My youngest daughter and I used Grand Bahamas Scuba June 7, 2012. We only dive once a year so our experience is minimal. Given that information Fred and Melinda realized our limitations and took us on a two tank dive that was the greatest experience we have ever witnessed underwater. The first was a reef dive and the second was a dive that produced sharks and stingrays. My daughter is not too sure of herself until she gets below the surface so one of them stayed close and kept an eye on us the entire time which made my daughter feel quite confident. We were not herded in and out of the boat like we have been in many other places. The crew took the time and effort to make sure everyone felt like they were part of the experience. I highly recommend Grand Bahama Scuba for a variety of diving experiences.

1  Thank KansasDukee
See more reviews
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have spent many hours agonizing over whether to book with a dive company when setting a dive trip up. On many occasions I have been corralled into a dive boat, scooted out to some unknown reef, dropped over board, and told to pull a buoy so the captain of the boat would know where I was when he decided to wake out of a stupor and pick me up.

And then....

There are Fred and Melinda Riger with GBS! Yes, Virginia there is a Scuba Santa Claus!

Melinda said she would be at my hotel to pick me up at 8, and she was there on time. We got to the boat and Melinda made sure my gear was good to go, my BC fit, gave me the tank with the most air (yes i LIKE to breath), and when i asked if she needed any help setting up, she said to have a seat in the dive shop and relax before the dive. WOW!

These cool humans (i think they use a tank to make us feel good but they really have gills) look after the guests, so some historical landmarks, talk about the history of diving in the GB, and when we get to the site tell you FIRST what to expect to see and then let you know the pool is open.

Your personal prep is your biz, but Fred and Melinda make sure your BC is there for you to put on while your seated on the back of the landing, your mask is defogged, weights are snug, regulator is open and have you sucks a few breaths and then help you to the platform edge to make your step in.

They have sunk sea ropes so your not having to free drift to get the the dive site, its more like taking the elevator to the seabed. Once your down they look for cool stuff to show you and point out interesting things happening around. I need some eyes on the back of my head sometimes but they make the dive so easy that you feel totally at ease.

Getting back on board, was just a total joy. The boat is equipped with an easy access ladder, some on the boat is there to help you get all (if your like me you take your boy scout bag with you) your junk in a safe place and there is no rush to push to the next site. Fred sits and chats as does Melinda, taking special care to make sure the guest in comfy, not having any symptoms of diving problems and sharing what we all saw "down under".

So here is my .02. Book with these wonderful folks and have one of the best times you might ever have in the water, period. This is coming from a diver who has hit the water in Hawaii, Florida, and way to many Mexico spots.

3  Thank RudyR2011