“Pricey and average”
Review of Pinetree Stables

Pinetree Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ultimate Eco-Tour on Horseback. A two hour trail ride from the top of Grand Bahama Island through five eco-systems including the beach and into the ocean. You will get wet! Ride the beautiful island born horses and hear the guides tell the story of Freeport and a brief history of The Bahamas from the time of the Lucayan Indians. Look for bush medicine plants; glimpse birds bugs and butterflies. Learn about Bahamian culture and a little horse psychology. Reservations are necessary Minimum rider age is 8 years and maximum rider weight is 200lbs Pinetree Stables is a cat rescue center. Not suitable for people with allergies!
NH
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Pricey and average”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I booked this two-hour ride myself and paid $130. Those who arrived from the hotel paid $110, so try to look for a discount.
Linda and Chris are enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about their horses and the island. During the 2-hour ride, I learned a lot about the wildlife and ecology of the island. I got to ask my many questions about life on the island, too.
I did think the ride was a bit pricey.
And be sure this is what you are looking for: You'll ride single file through the bush and to the beach, where you will do a quick circle in the water. Then you ride back. They keep the horses at a slow walking pace. Linda led my horse by a rope because I had not written more than three or four times a year. That was a disappointment and bit dull. I've been on more exciting horseback rides where I had more freedom to ride and paid a fair amount less.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank woodsprite44
Appaloosas, Manager at Pinetree Stables, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for posting a review. Please note that all guests pay $130 but some have already paid deposits or booking fees so that changes the amount paid at the Stables.

Orlando, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“wasn't what I was looking for”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband weighs 240 lbs. which meant he couldn't go on the ride; I found this really surprising as we have done many trail rides at other places and he's always been under their limits. I was told it was because they are "really small ponies," but that is a lie, they are fairly large bulky/strong appaloosa/quarter horses. They only do one trail ride max a day, using maybe 8 of their 20 or more horses and they ONLY ever go at a walk. The "beach" part is less than 5 minutes, though you do go fairly deep in the water. As it was my 10-year anniversary and this was the one activity I had really planned/expected us to do together, I was very frustrated that he was denied for no good reason (I get wanting to take good care of your horses, but this was just too extreme). I had hoped that it would at least mean that I could go cantering off on the beach some (I am a very experienced rider but my husband is not). If I had known that all we would do was walk (and in a very strict formation), I would have saved my $130 (which is more than double what I've paid at any other place, for better experiences). They treat everyone like clueless idiots, which is probably fine for the inexperienced but rather annoying to me. The guides do have a lot of knowledge about the local plant life and history, but it is not the "ultimate eco-tour" they make it out to be. The highlight for me was probably petting the many, many cats at the barn.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Evergreen L
Appaloosas, Manager at Pinetree Stables, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for posting a review. Our tour shows you 5 of the 6 ecosystems on Grand Bahama Island. All trail riding outfits in The Bahamas stay to a walk as safety is priority.
Glad you liked the cats
Owasso, Oklahoma
“Wonderful and Educational”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I am an experienced rider and found Linda and Chris very good with our group. We consisted of a couple of beginning riders that were cared for to make their experience safe and enjoyable. can not say enough about the compassion shown for the animals and the people they carried. I found this ride very enjoyable and relaxing. What more could you ask for. A very educational in every aspect. People need to just listen and have enough manners to be taught something. I will be doing this ride again! Thank you Linda and Chris!

Visited December 2012
Appaloosas, Manager at Pinetree Stables, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for posting a review. We both enjoyed reading it!
Columbus, Indiana
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Excellent Value - Best Attivity on Island”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you plan to go to the Grand Bahamas in Freeport Bahamas, go to PineTree Stables to see Linda and Chris and take a ride. You will not only have the horseback ride of your life but you will learn the history of the island, the names and seasons of all the plants, the wildlife on the island, commerce history, and all about natural herbs. The ride is awesome. The conversation and education is over the top.

We have ridden in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier, as well as many other places. PineTree Stables ride and information top them all.

Visited January 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Fun, informative ride thourgh the Freeport Ecosystem.”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This tour takes you through trails while the guides, Linda and Chris, give you a historical background of the island and its habitat. Great way to learn about everything. The horses were agreeable and mild mannered, although they did like to stop and eat bushes and plants along the way. Linda led the tour and talked to the riders in front while Chris brought up the rear and talked to the riders in the back. Chris also took pictures with our camera and was excellent about getting great shots of everyone in our group. We are novice riders so the walking pace of the horses was perfect for us and the fact that everyone stayed in a single file line alleviated a lot of our apprehension. The highlight of the tour was riding on the beach and through the ocean. Although it was only 10-15 minutes of our ride, it was thrilling and made the whole trip wothwhile. LOTS OF CATS IN THE STABLES!

Visited October 2012