Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Royal Islander(Freeport)
View Hotel
All reviewshayward forbestaxi driveryacht ownersbedroom unithot tubthe activities deskmovie nightgrouper fingersscuba shopon site restaurantwasher and dryergranite countertopsmain officerental carfull kitchensales peopledowntown freeport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Ocean Reef is the best in the area. Be sure to avoid the sales staff if you can. They know how to ruin your vacation. They have a office over the main pool. I have the impression they plan their bad sales attacks while you are in the pool. My husband & I have owned there since 1994 & we have visited there many times. The resort staff is great with the exception of the sales staff. You will see the sales staff dressed out of character with no island flair, business like & entertaining the sales tactics by the pool. A definite turn off. I visited the resort alone without my husband in May 2006. While there, they informed me I did not own there only my husband did. They hounded me the whole week to sale me my own timeshare. I wouldn't recommend planning anything through the resort with the exception of car rental. Only because its easy & affordable. The maintenance & bar staff are great. Great place to visit but don't bother buying from their sales staff. If someone is overly friendly you may just find out they are on the sales team.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank NCBigkitty
Reviewed February 10, 2007

My husband and I went to the Ocean reef resort for our honeymoon in December 2005. Our goal was to dive as much as possible. We selected this resort because there is a dive shop on the resort.

The diving experience was great! We thought the diving crew was wonderful and they made a great effort to bring us in different dive sites as much as possible (we were there 2 weeks). Melinda was awesome, she gave me some very strong medication for sea sickness since dramamine wasn't helping me this time on the boat( I have terrile sea sickness)! The corals were overall good (not as great as Cozumel but we expected that). The wrecks dive and the sharks dives were awesome. The only negative I would say is that the dive shop was not doing any night dive...

We had a 1 bedroom and a great kitchen. I loved our patio and we were on the ground level just in front of a BBQ grill. We ate steaks and burgers often and we loved it! We ate in our hotel room about 2/3 of the nights. The best thing about the room was the kitchen, very handy. I think it would be a great plus with kids! The grocery is expensive but the restaurants are even more so! The furniture and decorations of the room is pretty basic, nothing luxurious but fine...Also the view is not great. We saw a canal with some boats, nothing exciting... An other thing to know is that there is no maid service unless you pay a supplement. I didn't think it would bother us but it did a little bit. After coming back from snorkeling, we would always have sand stuck under our sandals and shoes so the floors were always messy...

The staff is great and they were always very friendly. I didn't like their presentation for the timeshare, they were harrassing us. We told them at least 3-4 times that we were not interrested in buying a timeshare with them but they kept on pushing... Otherwise, there was no problems with the staff. The trips organised by the resort were great, especially the shopping trip. You absolutely have to go to the candle factory and the liquor store!

On the down side, I will have to say that I do not recommend this resort if you like the beach because it's kind of far! We are not beach people but we walked there quite a few times to do some snorkeling and it was a good 15 minutes walk. With our fins, masks, etc, it was a little bit of a hassle! The shuttle to go to the beach is at an inconvenient time (They leave at 10:30 am and come back at 3 pm I think...) Also, there is only one restaurant at the resort and it's a small grill, nothing fancy. It is far to walk to Port Lacuya (about 30 minutes walk), you are better off taking a cab. The cab rides were cheap but I still consider taking a cab to be inconvenient when we were going out...

Port Lacuya was fun and the restaurants were good in general. We both thought that there is not much to do on the Grand bahamas island. A hurricane had destroyed the International Bazar so there was only Port Lacuya. The shops were ok but eventually they all look the same to us...

Overall, we loved the diving at the resort but we would not go back to the Ocean Reef for 2 main reasons.

First, there is nothing to do on or around the resort. You always have to walk or take a cab.

Second, the island is kind of boring, there is not much to do...

I hope this review will help someone. If you are a diver, I think it's a great place, if you are a beach person, stay away!

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ottawadivers
Reviewed January 29, 2007

Our family of four (husband, wife and two teenagers) just returned from a weeks stay at the Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort. We enjoyed our vacation very much. This is not a gold crown resort--it is a silver crown and lived up to that. Our two bedroom corner unit was large and nice. The master bedroom was large, with a jacuzzi tub in the bedroom, and it had a master bathroom which was small, but adequate. The second bedroom had a queen sized bed in it and was fine--nothing to write home about, but we don't go away to stay in our rooms, so we were O.K. with it. The livingroom was huge, the dining room was fine and the kitchen was a working kitchen with a counter into the dining room. There was a large patio outside the livingroom and dining room with access to a path that led directly to the marina and around the resort. The resort did not have great curb appeal, but we had no problems at all during out stay with anything. The restaurant had decent food at reasonable prices, the little shop had everything from trinkets to cold medicine. The social director was wonderful--of course you have to have guests who enjoy participating to make it fun and we did! The beaches were beautiful, the pool was clean, the scuba diving was really nice, the hot tub was really hot and always the center of activity. The Lacayan Market Place had great entertainment and restaurants and it was only a short drive away.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family