“Nice home base for exploring the island”

Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
MOUNT HOREB
“Nice home base for exploring the island”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed the 1st week of Dec. Rooms were clean, and appointed well. We had # 302 - a 2 bedroom w/ a balcony overlooking the marina. Both rooms had king size beds, and the living room was pretty spacious (pull out couch that we didn't use). There were some minor issues (broken cabinet door in the bathroom, pots/pans were not non-stick & VERY hard to clean, some mold/cracking on the patio, and a hard to open patio door), but overall it was a good location and place to stay.

We attended the free welcome party (couple of free punch/Bahama Mama drinks each & some good food), but avoided the timeshare "update", despite some persistence by the staff. Nice pool & hot tub, and another pool on the other side of the property. There are not a lot of activities at the resort itself, so I don't think I would recommend it for families w/ kids.

We mainly used the ORYC as a home base to explore the rest of the island, made some meals in the kitchen and picnics to take to the beaches. Other than the free welcome party, we did not eat in the restaurants here. They offer car rental, although we got one at the airport so we didn't have to pay for a cab to/from ORYC. Parking free onsite. There were a couple of cats hanging around, but definitely not obnoxious. They would sometimes curl up in the potted plants near the building entrance to sleep at night.

If you have a car, it is fairly easy to get to the grocery store, liquor store, beaches, etc. Did not take long to get used to driving on the left, and for the most part there isn't that much traffic. We drove everywhere on the island and never had any trouble.

Wifi was very iffy. Balcony was the best spot to get in. Could exchange your beach/pool towels every day and room towels twice a week. There is a energy surcharge - for a 2 bdrm it was $65 for the week.

Overall, if we stayed again on Grand Bahama Island, we'd consider staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank JOJOWI
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear JOJOWI,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to do so. Please know that all the minor issues outlined have been addressed. It was unfortunate that they were not taken care of prior to your visit.
We certainly do hope that you choose to visit the Ocean Reef again. We would love for you to experience our Oceansblue Restaurant and take part in our revamped activities program. We have added some fun new activities for our young visitors.

Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks over Christmas and mostly enjoyed our stay. The staff are very friendly and really went out of their way to make us feel welcome and answer our questions & needs. Our apartment was modern and well-furnished but the WIFI was disappointing - it only really worked on the balcony and even there it was slow. The free resort shuttle to the beach and shops is a very good idea - we enjoyed this service several times and also took the shuttle to the Junkanoo festival on 1st Jan (highly recommended). The resort location is ideal if you have a yacht but not very handy if you don't, so we hired a car. There are no shops or beaches nearby so you really need a car to get around. There are 2 small pools but not enough beach chairs - the pool area can be quite crowded on sunny days. We participated in several of the resort activities and enjoyed them but there were several advertised activities which didn't happen - it wasn't clear why and staff didn't really know what was happening most of the time. A sign-up system and better information would be helpful. More kids activities would also be appreciated. Thanks to the staff who made our stay so enjoyable!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AussieHelsinki
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

From the day we arrived, everyone at Ocean Reef went out of their way to make us feel welcome and relaxed. Miss Hattie was always there with a smile and something nice to say. Miss Esther's homemade bread is outstanding. The rooms have great upgrades like flat screen TVs and huge spa tubs. All in all, a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Anna_D_4003
Dear Anna_D_4003,

Thank you for the review, we look forward to your next visit! The bread will be waiting.
Highland Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just spent a week at this resort and was very disappointing. I was there a year ago and the resort had specific deficiencies and I told them about them a year ago. The resort has not addressed any of my concerns from last year. For example, they boast about wi-fi. Yet when I arrived I had no signal in my suite. When I complained to the front desk they said they would reset the modem. This didn't work. I complained the next day, then I was told that a cable was cut the previous week by a lawn mower. Well then why isn't it fixed yet. I complained the following day and was told the cut line still had not been fixed. So every day I had to come to the office in order to get on the internet. Finally, late on Friday the line was fixed and 12 hours before I was leaving I finally had wi-fi in my suite.
The TVs in the units are so small that you can barely see the picture in the living room when sitting on the couch. I had to pull the TV stand five feet closer to the couch, and it still wasn't enjoyable.
The units are very old and have not been maintained. The kitchen counter was buckling in one spot, and in another it had a two inch piece missing. The resorts I'm used to going have dishwashers in the kitchen, but Ocean Reef does not.
I will never return to this resort and suggest everyone else stay away.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Randy H
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Randy H,

It was most unfortunate that you found your recent trip disappointing. In the past we have had some challenges providing reliable wifi, however prior to the incident we have provided consistent wifi. We will definitely work on our response time regarding all repairs.
We are currently renovating our one bedrooms, they will not have dishwashers, however our two and three bedrooms do.
As our team continues it efforts to improve our service and the resort, I invite you to contact me directly at SBguestrelationsoryc@coralwave.com regarding specific deficiencies previous mentioned.
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.

Kind regards,

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Burlington, North Carolina
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed at the resort November 9, 2013 - November 16, 2013, along with another female friend. We had a one bedroom unit (#111) that faced the canal. The unit had recently been remodeled, and was very comfortable with one major exception. While I found the kitchen area well appointed, the sink is situated at such an ackward position that you have to stand at a weird angle to wash the dishes. I dreaded each time I had to do the dishes because I always ended up with a cramp or just discomfort afterward from the strange position. Of course, because it was the slow season, lots of repairs and upgrades were going on at the resort. The restaurant was closed, the exercise room was closed and just generally kind of quiet. That was ok with us as we were just seeking good old R & R. If you are a young person looking for a non-stop party, this is probably not the place for you. However, if you are like us, this resort is a good value and you won't be disappointed. We found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating, and it was nice having the shuttle to take us to the beach, etc. After being there a couple of days, we took Hayward Forbes of Grand Bahama Taxi up on offers to show us the island. Wow, what a treat! Hayward was the most gracious and knowledgeable gentleman, and a great host. He took us to other beaches that were far better than the one that the resort shuttle takes you to, as well as a few nice local eateries. I can truly say that Hayward was the icing on the cake!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Judy J,

Thank you for your review of our resort. In the future if there is ever an issue with your accommodations just simply stop by the front desk and we will be more that happy to assist.

We look forward to your next visit. The beaches are waiting!

Florida
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have been to the resort many times. The remodeling and improvements are moving along nicely. Esther's pool bar and grill has always been a favorite for breakfast or a home made burger. There is almost always something to do at the resort, i.e bingo, dance lessons, Monday Madness party. The staff is wonderful and it is a very relaxing resort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear im4uf,

Thank you for all of your visits to Ocean Reef. You will be happy to know that we have just updated our activities at the resort and have made some exciting and fun filled additions.

We look forward to your return trip!

Collge Park, MD
Reviewed November 16, 2013

When I close my eyes and dream of a vacation I see the estate across the canal from my favorite unit. I smell Esther's warm breads, and remember the best hamburger on the island with fresh cut fries. This is the place I can totally relax and as everyone says, the staff is great. This is a family owned resort not a massive complex with thousands of guests. In the first few days you will probably say Hi to almost everyone staying there. In the evenings when folks take a stroll around the resort they will pass me sitting on the patio and we will start up a conversation and share a drink. The units are apportioned adequately, some newer than others but still maintained well. If something is wrong you only need to tell the main office and it will be corrected. You need to remember that this is NOT a five star or even a four star Stateside Hotel, it is a beautiful vacation spot on an island and things get done when they get done. If you are not expecting everything to be 100% perfect, you will have a wonderful time. It is a time share and having the benefit of a full kitchen in each unit is a plus, but don't expect salt and pepper or coffee filters to be provided unless the last guest left some and the maids didn't take them.

Room Tip: The villas offer more opportunity