“Nice relaxing retreat”

Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Before I got to the resort... i read the negative reviews and was really worried...So I got there expecting the worst. The resort does need to be updated, but thankfully I was not expecting 5 star digs... we ran into a lady who has 5 weeks of time share there and absolutely love it (Thanks Jody with a Y! ) :) Beatrice is very pushy about going to the time share spiel and for using her for excursions.... we let her know that we would not be attending ( I realize it is her job, and I gues she can intimidate some, but we were not bothered) WE got to meet Hank and Dianne, FGordon, Tom and others that live there most of the year... and absolutely had a blast meeting others in the units..... ONE THING I MUST ADVISE... GET A RENTAL CAR.... it is thankfully away from the hustle and bustle... but you will need one to get around the island... I read the reviews that you must be old to like this place.. I totally disagree... I am not old and had a really good time. I also like the cats running around.... I had one that would come spend some time on my chest in the evenings.... This is not 5 star... but it is a nice place to stay! Will be back again!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank clboh
Sharon B, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Clboh,

Thank you for such a positive review of the Ocean Reef Resort. We are happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return visit.

There are newer reviews for Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Pictures online were not anything like we experienced from the entrance of the building to waterfront room. Dingy, old and dilapidated structures. This want to be resort has not been repaired since the last storm (several years ago).
You get attacked and harassed by the commissioned employee of the excursions and time share relentlessly every time you walk out of your room, day or night. In the middle of nowhere. There are absolutely no amenities near by unless you get a taxi at a very unreasonable price. They provide an over crowded bus to take you to the grocery store. Beds are not what you would dream about at a resort, as a matter of fact more like your nightmares. No restaurants. The only enjoyable part of my trip was my wonderful husband with me and good friends.
I wanted to give them -----5 but unfortunately for me and fortunately for them they do not give me that option.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank seasidetraveler2013

Dear Seaside Traveler,
It is unfortunate that the Ocean Reef Resort did not meet your expectations. Please know the comments you have outlined have been shared with out team for discussion and improvement. It is hoped that once all ongoing renovations are completed we will be given an opportunity to serve you again.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 5, 2013

If you're used to a lavish, everything at your comfort vacation it is not the place for you. If you make the the best out of your vacation and are willing to travel outside of your comfort zone, it is the place for you. Ocean Reef was a beautiful location but if you have the right mind to get to know individuals like Hayward or Greg, you'll understand how amazing a place like this could be. Sure, there are individuals who will try to take advantage, it's how they make their living but once you are friendly to them they will be more than helpful to you.

Ms. Esther is an incredible cook and everyone does their best to help. If something is not up to par, simply ask and it will get done. It is not as convenient as the hotels adjacent to Port Lucaya but it is definitely friendly. I suggest the Bon Fire at Taino Beach and CocoNutz Cruisers, Fredo will take care of you.

I also suggest not being so uptight like other reviewers and make the best of your vacation. You never know what you're going to get upon arrival.

Safe travels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ARen33

Dear Aren33,

Thank you for your positive review of the Ocean Reef Resort and our team. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and made the most of your Ocean Reef experience.
We truly hope that you are to visit us again.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Ocean Reef is clean & comfortable but desperately in need of upgrading. I never saw anyone using the gym,the equipment is rusty, the bar & grill is dated. Nothing is screened in anywhere & the mosquitos are out of control. Activities at the resort added a plus to the stay. The fact that the beach is a distance away, as is everything else, FREE shuttle service at least to the beach would be nice. It was advertised but did not exist. Please, Please if you want to watch movies on late nights or rainy days Bring Your Own DVDs. The resorts are Bootleg DVDs and copies are horrible. We weren't able to watch one movie in it's entirety, and most showed people walking in the theatre.The DVD player is in the office and after being returned to the office, the $55.00 deposit will be returned. For the most part our Unit exceeded the rest of the Resort

Room Tip: A room with a Marina view is nice
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank OnTheGoNY2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed for two weeks and really enjoyed our stay. The crached conch at the on-site resturant was great - all four times I had it. The staff at the condo are very nice and helpful and the shopping was within our walking distance (about 1 1/2 miles) so shopping and other places to eat were close at hand. We felt very safe walking everywhere there and did not almost daily. Beware of the sales staff here - they are all nice and very friendly but we found they do not know their product and will tell you whatever you want to hear for a sale. We will return to this resort - do know that there is no beach on site and maybe that is why they work hard to make your stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms are facing the canal so the view is serene and pretty - not much boat traffic to disturb the v...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Teri F
Reviewed August 28, 2013

You will need a car to get around at your own time; if not, there's a bus that leaves at certain times only on certain days OR a cab but will cost you more. No other restaurants nearby that you won't need a ride... it's ok if you want to eat at the same place every meal. If you need Internet Access... good luck. Room needs makeover. Comparing it to numerous resorts we've been to through exchanges, this is not at par. If your ultimate reason for being there is to relax, I can say you'll be fine because the area is secluded.
Now this is the WARNING I have to give... STAY AWAY FROM THE ORIENTATION, do not give in if employees from ORYC&R invites you to come - it turns into a sales presentation...they will offer you free breakfast or lunch, it is NOT WORTH it. You are subjecting yourselves to DISHONEST Sales people... who will lie to your face and give you a lot of misrepresentations. They ALL WORK TOGETHER TO GET YOU SCAMMED. If you do attend, DO NOT BELIEVE anything that anybody says that works for APEX International Marketing. STAY AWAY FROM THE OFFICE AT THE TOP of Groupers Bar. Scan through these reviews, you will find more warnings, I wished I read it beforehand too.
Contact me if you want to hear the details and if you had the same experience.
I was looking at several resorts prior to booking and I really regret to have chosen this one.
I never want to give such a rating but that's how I felt during my stay and felt after... "Terrible".

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank F R

Dear F R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Ocean Reef. It is is our goal to exceed customer expectation while providing exemplarily service. Regrettably, this was not your experience.
I invite you to contact me directly if you wish to discuss in detail your experience with APEX Marketing International, in order to adequately address you concerns, thus preventing any future shortcomings. I may be reached at orycguestservices@coralwave.com.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

There is absolutely nothing here to do. This is a senior citizen vacation home, for those ppl claiming it is so good here.. I guess they have never been anywhere else on vacation. I'm a frequent flyer I know better..NOT THE PLACE FOR VACATION UNLESS UR 90 YRS OLD!!! NOT KIDS FRIENDLY NOT EVEN ADULT FRIENDLY..

• Stayed: July 2013