“Relaxing Vacation-Awesome people”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Relaxing Vacation-Awesome people”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hello. I cry to this day because, I'm back at work and wish I could turn the clocks back to redo my vacation at Ocean Reef. The last review which is by Larry, I saw him there too. I was there from May 4-11, 2013. I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite in which I was upgraded too. I give a shout out to Cindy Davis for doing this. She is the operations manager and anything I asked for or needed, she was very professional. She was not bothered by anything I said. If she did, she did not show it. Her front desk staff was helpful too. This time, my husband (Andre Clark) and I just relaxed. Well he relaxed more than I did. We were there in 2010 and we became members there. I do not regret it at all. The area is just a breath taking. Our room was just off the marina which was the perfect spot. Every day, I just stood on the balcony just looking at the boats and the water. So I was with people and I was also away from people. I'm around people every day at my job so I took advantage of being alone sometimes. Their runs to the grocery store and the beach is great. I wish they could also do evening runs. I do not always like to wake up at 9:00 while on vacation to catch the shuttle at 10 a.m. I know you can catch it at 2 p.m. but then I'm in the pool. So I would love an evening run at least a couple of times during the week. I love to dance so my husband and I went to their local fish fry on Wednesdays. I even won a dance contest at the fish fry. I came in second place. The DJ was the bomb. Plus they have a Monday night madness party and got to meet lots of people. I'm a people person so meeting people was not hard for me to do. The food and the people was great. I find the prices at Port Lucaya cheaper though. I guess it's a little bit more because it's at the resort. Port Lucaya is great. There's tons of restaurants and shops so you will not be bored. I didn't have any trouble finding things I wanted to buy. I also want to give a shout out to 2 taxi drivers from the resort. Hayward Forbes and Calvin Hart. They both are reliable taxi drivers. Keep up the good work gentlemen. I felt safe on the resort at all times so it was not a problem at all. The night security person is Preston. He is wonderful and had nice conversations with him. I had nice conversations with everybody. There are days we were just joking around having fun. They could use an upgrade but heard that is starting this year and into 2014. It's a pretty resort so don't get it twisted. Don't forget about the night life at Port Lucaya on Fridays and Saturdays. You will have a ball.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dupree38

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at Ocean Reef. Last year we stayed in a 3-bedroom unit in a building that consists of two such units. This year we stayed in a 2-bedroom unit in the main building. Not sure if they upgraded the furniture and appliances in the last year, or if the 2-bedroom units are nicer, but the bedroom furniture seemed much nicer, and the kitchen appliances were all stainless steel. Even though we were in a unit right next to the office, it was very quiet. One thing to note - maybe it's a Bahamas thing - but they don't provide you with shampoo, just a lot of bar soap. But I anticipated it this time and brought my own shampoo. Ocean Reef has a lot of activities - a shuttle to the store on Monday, daily beach shuttles, a welcome party on Monday (that includes dinner and rum punch), karoake, dinner and a movie on Thursday night, etc. We only went to the welcome party as we were on a dive vacation (see my upcoming review of the dive shop). They also have a nice little restaurant/bar, but we went to Port Lucaya when we ate out. The only bad thing about Ocean Reef is the workout room. The equipment is so old and broken down that you're likely to hurt yourself if you even try it, particularly the treadmill and ellipticals. I'm amazed that they don't just throw this junk out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank larryd6578
Ontario canada
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I wish we would have booked with them in the beginning instead of Viva Fortuna. They saved our family vacation from being a disaster. Support this resort they deserve it. They go the extra mile and its very secure property. Very laid back, friendly, fun, kind and honest. They are helpful in getting you to experience the true Bahamas. They take you to the beach so you don't miss out on that part. They have a great reception, housekeeping, sales team, taxi service and management team. They are constantly improving the property and rooms. We found nothing but very nice people staying at this resort. Thanks for the best family memories Ocean Reef Resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 524Karen
Bagdad, KY
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at this resort with and friend and had a wonderful time. It's clean, convenient, and the pool is fantastic. The 2 bedroom condo has nice amenities, and having a kitchen in Freeport is a plus! We are already planning our next stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cindy_weinmann
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had the most amazing time at Ocean Reef on Grand Bahamas Island. We prepared for our trip in advance reading alot of reviews and had wanted to do our open water dives to become certified. We ended up diving through Viva Wyndam through no fault of Grand Bahamas Scuba just that I had booked with Viva first. Our dives were amazing but will write a separate review for them.
Ocean Reef was wonderful. Everyone was warm, polite, hospitable. The room was clean and inviting. We went to the Fish Fry on Wednesday night. The one you line up at was very good. Red Snapper deep fried as well as Conch fritters which were amazing. Get there early because there is a crazy line up. We stayed at the Fish fry and there was music and dancing. It was a very nice night.
The resort had a dinner monday night to welcome everyone. It was very good. Charles is a scream. He's very entertaining. We rented bikes and rode down to the beach several times but could have just gone on the shuttle with everyone else. They also had a shuttle to the grocery store a few times.
I liked this resort as it wasn't full of spring breakers. It was really nice. We even had the opportunity to renew our vows. At Ocean Reef you are treated like a family not just a guest. Everyone on the island was amazing. The fish fry on Tanio Beach also has a Geocache if you like searching for things. :) I wanted to look for the one at Dead Man's Reef but never made it that far.
Sparky's in Port Lucaya has 2 for 6 Kalik beer. If your looking for a good and affordable dinner one night and want some Italian hit Cappuchino's between 4-7. (I think the time is right) $10.00 for wine, bread and pasta. The Grouper Grill at the resort was very good as well and affordable. They were also very accommodating with alterations. (I wanted coleslaw instead of toast with my breakfast).
Make sure you sign up for a tour that visits Gold Rock Beach. It's amazing! We were taken out to dinner one night by a good friend to a place called Churchills. If you want a more up scale evening and wonderful dinner make it a must see.
I have read some negative reviews of Ocean Reef and I have to say they are completely contrary to what I experienced there. The staff were amazing. My husband and I wanted to renew our vows and everyone helped us pull it together. The resort was truly amazing. We will definitely be back.

I also got connected with the People to people program who helped put me in touch with the Minister. We were married on the beach in Bahamas 11 years ago by a Rev Ed Buchanan and sadly with all the assistance we received from everyone we could not seem to get in touch with him directly. So Ernestine McPhee a Freeport Primary teacher communicated with Reno Smith about performing our renewal. I had the opportunity to visit a school as I am a teacher and wanted to visit a school while I was in Freeport.

Sally the wedding planner at Ocean Reef Resort truly brought everything together for us and we are so incredibly grateful.

If your looking for a wonderful relaxing place to vacation among family and friends make this the place you go.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AngelScott
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2013

If you are looking for a place to spend at night, it will work. If you are looking for a "resort" that has amenities, keep looking. We stayed there through a promotion we received. The room was adequate but definitely not luxurious. The water sport options (kayaks, paddle boat) were run down and dirty. This is a marina so it was fun to see the boats there and talk to the people living on them. The location is a mile from the closest beach but they did have shuttles. We rented a car one day and rented a scooter another day. Lots of fun and we were able to get around. The club did have a fairly decent grill and bar. Couple nice pools and a hot tub. Those were all clean.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cyclonefan58
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here through RCI Resorts and our two week stay was horrible. Arrived in room and smelled of mold (have allergies) and didn't sleep well and needed reno badly! Next day went to office to get another room and they said that there were none available - what? the place is empty, you hardly see anyone around, except people who work there. Finally got another room, with no mold but again needed reno but nothing worked properly, especially the stove. The place isn't much to look and the boardwalk by boats isn't finished, the brick wall by boardwalk needs repair and paint and the entertainment is pretty lame - nothing for kids to do. The pool is very, very small and not enough lounge chairs around it, the hot tub didn't work and the swim-up bar was always closed. The bus driver that takes you food shopping, doesn't keep his word - said he was coming to take people back to hotel at 7, 7:30 and 8. Well my mother and I and another mom/ daughter were left at supermarket, as he didn't return at 8 as stated and we waited and waited. He never showed, so we took a taxi back. Complained the next day and wanted our taxi money back ($20.00) taxi's are expensive here but didn't get a penny back and the management did nothing about it (didn't care). Then they also try sell you timeshare at their resort. We went to their seminar and they tell you all kinds of things, some of which are not true and they contradict themselves. They are not very professional as our sales rep was "hitting on" my 80+ mother and we were shocked!! They show you to rooms which are beautiful and renovated but most are not. I bought into it so as we could get a better newly renovated room (which we did), then cancelled after two days with my money back. The last week, they were hounding us as to why we cancelled and they were relentless (reminded me of a used car salesman) and even came up to our room to discuss matters. They do not want you to discuss their "sales pitch" with other guests and seemed very DESPERATE to sell units. As a designer, the kitchens and bathrooms were very dysfunctional and not well planned out (would never 'fly' here). Kitchen had only two wall outlets with microwave, coffee maker, blender and toaster all on two outlets and one very close to sink area with no CFI plug and almost falling out of wall when you pull out cord very carefully. The kitchen sinks are in the corner with cupboards above and must watch that you don't hit your head on them (no dishwashers in 1 bdrm) and two inches from stove (Yikes!). When drying dishes, rack must be put on stove top - if one washes, other dries very crowded and difficult The bathtub/shower was in the bedroom!!?? and the bathroom sink had outlet beside it that was not CFI and was very frightened of getting zapped. The only thing I can say was good were the beds - had a great sleep!! And also the boat people were very friendly - all Canadians who spend their winters on their boats which they dock there. I believe this is the resorts main supply for money, not the rooms.
I would go back to Freeport as it's very quiet and restful, but would definitely not come back here!!

Room Tip: If you need two or three bedrooms, you get the renovated rooms, very few of the one bedrooms are ren...