“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Tel Aviv
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is our second trip to the island and to the hotel. Last one was 5 years ago. I agree with previous reviews that the 3 and 2 bdr town houses are in deteriorated shape.
However we stayed in a 3 bdr penthouse in the main building and the stay was great.
We also enjoyed using again Fred's and Melinda diving service which is located conveniently in the compound. We find the place friendly and enjoyable.

3 Thank kobiK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

When we arrive to the resort I was so excited to finally be on a well deserved and much needed vacation. I was ready to relax and enjoy 6-7 days of my vacation. Needless to say, that ended in 10 minutes, after arriving to this property. I heard a noise that sounded like a cat. Well I look down and saw 3 very large cats, stretching and looking scary. I scream and almost passed out. The last thing I was expecting to see was large cats on a resort. The people that worked at the resort had the nerves to look at me as if I was crazy. They never tried to get the cats away. My husband had to put down the luggage and try to move the cats alone the way. I knew this was not going to be good. I have never gone to a resort and they had cats at the resort as if this was where they were supposed to be.

When we got to our 2 bedroom townhouse, there were 3 large lizards with no tails running around the room, like it was there play house. So, I scream “OMG, first cats and now 3 lizards with no tails running around the room”. So we had to moved to the next room which had the hardest bed I have ever seen in my life. It was a mattress on a wood box they built. It was so low to the ground a 2 year old baby could climb in the bed with no assistance. I called the over 2 days telling them about the lizards and cats. No one ever came over to the room to try and get the lizards out the room. Then, when I opened up the curtain, there was a big lizard with a tail curled up like a baby monkey. So I woke up the very next day, I woke up and my husband and I could not walk, we were in so much pain from that hard bed. I went straight down to the office. As soon as I got near the office all 3 cats were sitting there, as if they were supposed to be there. I complained and they moved us to the second floor in a suite.

I explained to the office manager that no one comes on vacation to be afraid to go to the pool or walked around because of cats and lizards everywhere. Once, I got off the elevator, my husband and I saw a snake and the night manager is crazy. Again, he did not try to assist with getting someone to help get the snake out if the way, he said the cats will eat the snake. He heard me screaming because I was so afraid to run left, the cats were on the left and the snake was on the right. This resort is a night mare. The night manager lives on the property and if he likes cats, he should let them stay in his 2 bedroom town house. The front office act as if the “ cat lovers”, was the one feeding the cats and they keep them coming back, but they have the cats gated in on the property as pets.”Who does that”??????? I saw the night manager every evening , talking cat food out of a plastic bad feeding those cats so much food. I thought he was going to kill them. I did not know you cats could eat so much food at one time. So, the front office already knew the manager was feeding the cats and keeping them there as pets. So the whole time I was there I had to run and stay in my room because I was afraid of all of the things going on at this resort. I contacted RCI to let them know and they told me to send in a comment card via email or snail mail. I was like.” you have got to be kidding me”. I know I am not the only one who is afraid of cats, lizards and snakes.
I know lizards are on all islands but not inside of your room running around like it’s the outside.

3 Thank V F

Travelers are raving about these Freeport hotels

Hillsborough, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is our second trip to Grand Bahama Island and we stayed here at the ORYC 10 years ago. At the time, the three story condo complex was brand new. I'm not sure if they have done much maintenance since, but it is in desparate need of repaire.

If you are coming down from the US and you want to cook a few dinners, you should pack and bring your own meats. The groceries here on the island are very expensive and the meats will not be up to the standards you are used to in the US.

If you are bringing steaks, don't plan to grill them - they have some charcoal grills at the resort, but charcoal on the island is very expensive and they don't have starter fluid (that we could find).

The water supply in our condo is very slow (a trickle much of the time in the kitchen) and the hot water takes forever to get warm - I haven't gotten hot water yet.

Plan your vacation and try to rent a car. The cars available at the resort are older and not well maintained, so it might be worth the difference in price to rent from the airport. If you stay here you will need a car for everything unless you want to spend a lot for taxies.

2 Thank Kelley I
Springfield, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

We had a three bedroom villa that was in desperate need of renovation or perhaps should have been demolished. We left one rainy day to go explore Gold Rock Beach and came back to soaked pillows on our bed. Every night, we had to clean off the pillows of ceiling rubble as the ceiling was clearly rotten and disintegrating. I was worried it would cave in and didn't have much faith that they had better units to move us to! The sinks were full of beard stubble (none of us shaved while we were there). We were asked about our arrival time prior to the date of arrival and we waited five hours for our room to be ready. They desperately wanted us to come to the orientation and got very angry when we weren't responsive. This place was so disgusting that I considered paying for a week's stay somewhere else. I sure didn't want to go to a presentation to hear them try to sell us on Ocean Reef! After this trip, I have decided to stop the timeshare trades with RCI! Very gross and very disappointing!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Dymt
Dover, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I just got home from staying here last week. The resort itself appears to be getting a face lift. Our room was nice and relaxed but the beds were TERRIBLE. Both my husband and I have terrible back pain from them still. The pools are less to be desired, both are very hot and hardly cool you down and have damage in them. Groupers grill's food is sub par. I got sick one night from some of their fish, and the prices weren't worth it. Happy hour is decent, drinks are strong. The staff is friendly and willing to help, we only had one bad waitress while there, but never returned to the restaurant after I got sick. The resort is about 3/4 mile from a beach, which doesn't offer any chair or umbrella rentals, so if you have young ones and need shade you will need to bring your own. The resort did offer a lot of activities and transportation to the grocery store, but all the activities were very "touristy" so we chose to do none of them and all were HIGH in price. You can rent a car and do your own exploring for the 1/4 of the cost you would have to pay to do trips with the hotel. Overall I wouldn't return to this resort but gave it three stars because the staff was pleasant and besides the beds, the rooms were very nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 21Lauren
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had a great time here. The staff was very personable and very accommodating. You just need to know who to make friends with. Ester is my girl! There are a lot of other people that make up the Ocean Reef family. Preston, your night security guard is always there to keep your restless teenagers safe while wondering around the complex. Charles will always keep the party hoping with all his corney antics and Linda the bartender will keep the bahama mammas flowing. We had a two bedroom renovated unit. It was very spacious. Couchs were very comfortable and the massage chair was never empty if we were in the unit. Sunday breakfast at Groupers was very good. We did not rent a car but never had a problem getting where we needed to go. The Forbes family was always at hand to get us there and Hayward would throw in a dance lesson if needed. We found a great out of the way place on a beautiful beach....Bernie's. It is just down the beach from Island Seas. Great food and wonderful hospitality. Go for the Tuesday night BBQ and bonfire. Bernie and Bernard are what Bahamian hospitality is all about. We did the East end tour with JC. I don't think you will find anyone from the East end that knows more about the area than JC. You will go into the Caves and visit the Lucayan National Park. Then on to a beach front restaurant that is owned by his family (so is the beach..btw). Great insight to how real Bahamians live. Port Lucaya is good for shopping, night life and restaurants. You're on vacation, relax and enjoy. If you are in a hurry don't come to the Bahamas, stay in California.

Room Tip: From everything I've read....make sure you ask for a renovated unit.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Andrea S
downey, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Family of 4 stayed for 2 very long weeks in June 2012 in a 3 bedroom, 3 bath. Layout of townhouse was very good but needs updating. Combo Safe in master bedroom. Washer/Dryer and ceiling fans. Full kitchen. 2 pool areas. Rented a new 2012 SUV at Avis!! We were expecting the Bahamas, the people, the island, the accommodations, the vibe to be that of Hawaii or Cancun or the Grand Cayman -- Save your money and spend it somewhere else. I'd never go back or recommend it to anyone. The island is definitely a run down place overall. There's a definite "Island" vibe with staff and servers and locals throughout this resort and everyplace we went too (except places listed below) that basically said "we don't care if your hungry, want to buy something, are standing there...you are an annoyance and we could care less about being nice or accommodating". The RESORT: Has wifi but it doesn't reach throughout the entire townhouse so had to place computer by patio glass door to get wifi. Two restaurants where you'll go there once and never go back...always empty except for new arrivals cuz' service is slow 45 min-1 hour for basic hamburger/chickens strips/fries for family of 4 and that's after standing in front of 3 waitresses for 5 minutes before they stop talking amongst themselves, ignoring you, etc, and take your order. The other outside restaurant Esther's is swarming with flies while she cooks and it takes even longer, she can't remember what you ordered and she's just plain rude. GOOD Things: Deserted white sand beaches, ONE GREAT Americanized restaurant Cappucino Italian at Port Lucaya -waiters are sharp, likable, nice and food is excellent; a great place to get scuba certified Grand Bahamas Scuba (onsite at Ocean Reef) costs $399 and included all gear and 5 dives, Lil B's reef fishing charter (onsite at Ocean Reef) costs $60 per person for 4 hours ...but that's about all. Definitely rent a car as we explored the island and weren't stuck staying there. The island is small, run-down, inefficient, and lacks systems and support.. doesn't have much as the Int'l Bazaar hasn't recovered from hurricanes from 7 years ago and the only other place to go is Port Lucaya. It was a very long 2 weeks so here are somethings to do that were good and reasonably priced: National Park $5.00 has bat cave which is cool and beach and mangroves; Radisson Grand Lucayan $10.00 day pass to go to their beach/pool; Pizza Hut and Sav-Mor Drug Store is brand new with good prices and high standards; rent a car and stop at every beach all the way to East End of Island; China Beach Restaurant at Radisson Grand Lucayan has $70 sushi boat that really feeds 4 people--great deal; Zorba's at Port Lucaya has good food and sells BTC calling cards (.25 cents to call US); Franks Ice Cream at Port Lucaya, Taino Beach Club/Junkaroo $5.00, Sabor Restaurant at Pelican Bay Resort has good prices and nicer staff; play tennis at Radisson Grand Lucayan for $25 hour on grass or us court; bring your own fishing pole from home and fish off the pier or beaches. LOTS of mosquitos so bring repellant!! Huge, itchy, red bites from small black mosquitos.

Room Tip: try to ask for a remodeled room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family