“Navigating the Bahamas Arts and Straw Market”

The Bahamas' Arts and Straw Market
and up
Freeport Bazaar and Brewery Tour
Ranked #24 of 60 things to do in Freeport
More attraction details
Owner description: Local craftsman sell their jewelry and their wood and straw handicrafts at this market.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I liked the fact that the artists are motivated to crearte and to earn income. I enjoyed seeing the creativity of the artisans. Sometimes you simply want to walk through and not be asked numerous times to come into a shop and buy something. The way that the shops are arranged can be a little overwhelming when trying to focus and shop while listening to solicitations. If you are going to buy, do, but if you "No" means "NO" you will be tested to stick to your decision.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

The first impression of the straw market can be alittle overwhelming but this is a place for the locals to try to sell some product. I found that if you state that you are willing to take a look around in peace, the vendors are fairly respectful of your shopping experience. The individual stores do have alot of the same kind of stuff but if you take the time to go in and have a look, you can find some really nice and unique items for a decent price. They are open to negotiations, but keep in mind, they are trying to make a living too. The people are extremely friendly. And if you are clear about not being interested in looking, they know their boundaries.

1  Thank Billie W
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

The straw market is a must see I suppose. You get harassed by the local to buy their items.. every vendor carries the same stuff. You can get some deals. Overall its a tourist trap of junk you really dont need.

2  Thank jennmiko21
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Expensive shopping here in freeport - finally found t shirts at 5 dollars at the very back of the market. very industrial but after it stopped raining was able to get off the ship and spend about 90 minutes there. Fun times had by all.

2  Thank princess0818
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our whole family took a 7 day cruise to Freeport, Bahamas and Nassau, Bahamas; (November7-13, 2012)and when they let us off the ship, we walked around and took pictures. It was our first time going on a cruise(me and my sisters, my baby brother, my mom and my dad). And I bought a Bahamas bag and some souvenirs. The whole trip was well worth it, a trip to definitely remember. We rode the Carnival Fantasy Cruise. Words cannot express how much fun we had on our first cruise.

1  Thank Breona L