“nice hotel and location”

Pelican Bay at Lucaya
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here at Pelican Bay. We were here for a week for some relaxation. We had a suite facing the canal and it was quite a pleasant surprise when we first got to our suite. It is very spacious, colorful, and almost like going back in time with the four poster bed and various furnishings. The free ferry pass is included and we went to Taino Beach resort every day for their pool with a slow raft ride around the pool, waterslide, and wonderful fine sand beach. It is a couple minute walk to the Marketplace with shops, restaurants, bars, and the straw market. On Friday and Saturday nights there are live bands at the Count Basie Square with lots of dancing. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed January 27, 2014

This property looks great from the outside but don't let that fool you. This was one of the nastiest places I have ever stayed. The tub drained so slow I was standing in ankle deep water by the end of my shower. The sink faucet was so stopped up with corrosion that it sprayed all over the the counter top. The water that did manage to stay in the sink drained as slow as the tub. There is no telling how long it had been since the tile floors had been mopped. After simply walking around in my room my white socks looked like I had been out running around in the parking lot. I'm not a clean freak by any stretch of the imagination but come on man...this was just plain gross.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Mike B
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Sorry, unhelpful service. Staff has no luggage carts or concierge or bellboy..

My room had a problem that took 3 complaints to fix. Their restaurant savor is substandard, the bed was hard .

Room is nice otherwise but overall a big dissapointment

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dianeanimaladvocat
PelicanBayHotel, Operations manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Dianeanimaladvocat,

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment during your recent stay with us at Pelican Bay. It is certainly never our intent to have an unhappy guest and we wished we had the opportunity to make it better while on property. While we train our staff to be proactive in reviewing the needs of our guests I would have loved an opportunity to meet with you.

I will inbox you for further details of your stay so that I can reivew your concerns thoroughly. We take reviews very serious and we appreciate your patronage to our hotel and our island.

Again our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences experienced. It is not indicative of the level of service and happiness we strive to provide on a daily basis.

Della Bridgewater
Operations Manager

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is a very nice hotel in a great location and people who work there were very accommodating. Even though we had several issues initially with the room (microwave and coffee machine were busted, lamps did not work, pull out bed was broken) the staff did their best to remedy every issue to ensure we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Recommend the water view stateroom over the standard room - definitely worth the splurge.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Michelle P
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We booked this trip as a last minute package. We had no problem with check in. The lobby was clean and smell like Christmas trees and Victoria Secret's Love Spell. Was very disappointed with our first room. I can not speak to the cleanliness. It smelled fresh and appeared to be clean, however, I didn't spend much time there. The Waterside hotel room was the equivalent of a Motel 6 or other budget motel room. We upgraded to the waterside state room and was pleased. Our room was clean, other than bird poop on the balcony. But that's to be expected. We were missing the Nespresso machine. Someone brought one right away. Room was cleaned each day and I enjoyed the breakfast cake and fruit.

The only complaint that I have, which is my fault for not verifying, is the breakfast. We read in the booklet that breakfast was offered. So we went over and had a meal and was charge $38!!! Not what you want to pay for cereal, juice and fruit. Oh and internet is not free but you can use the computers at the business center for free.

The area felt safe. I was expecting more activity at night since my husband and I were without the kids but it would be a wonderful place for a family vacation. Someone said the only choice for the beach is to pay at the Grand Lucayan. Not true. Just walk the path on the side of the police station. There's access to two beaches there and some yummy seafood.

Also, snorkeling is wonderful at Paradise Cove. We had wonderful taxi driver names Tyrone that took us around the island so that we could dine like a local.

We will definitely return to Freeport with our kids next time.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 354. Loved it. Room 207 didn't suite me but everyone is different.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AMDubII
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Not sure what many of the complaints are about on here. It's a lovely hotel with great rooms. Could they be updated? Sure, but you'd also have to pay twice as much. The location is excellent and while it's not located on the beach you actually have three reasonable options: take the free water taxi, walk to the police station and take the public path, or hop the fence at the hotel across the street. Having done all three I'd say water taxi is the best option, but they're all easy enough. It's a perfect place for kids and there's always something or them to do or chase (like lizards - tons, and egrets - also cool.)

By day, check out the tours from the marina. The glass bottom boat tour seems okay enough until they take you to feed the sharks. Dude! Shark frenzy. So amazing. There's a band every night in the public square and they have restaurants that cater to everyone from obese cruisers to picky kids to those looking for a conch burger (delicious by the way.) They could use a veggie place. That's about it.

Complaints? Not many. The front desk staff could show a little more interest. It is a service industry, you know. And since the water taxi to the beach just sits there for nearly an hour, I'd add an extra trip and go every thirty minutes. Oh, and not a single pelican, but what are you gonna do?

Long story short. Go to Freeport. Stay at Pelican Bay. Watched the birds from your balcony. Have an awesome time. (Just don't expect to see a pelican.)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Stieb
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip here for Christmas. The hotel was huge and beautiful and our room (suite) was amazing. Only bad thing was that they gave us two double beds instead of the king we paid for. There was a big balcony with a great view. Huge TV. Espresso maker and refrigerator. The hotel was right down the street from the marketplace with restaurants, stores, and clubs. Recommend biking to Taino Beach- it was the most beautiful beach I've ever seen and we had it all to ourselves.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple