I recently took a trip to Grand Bahama Island, with my husband and 3 kids (9,11,14). We had a wonderful time. I booked our hotel on the Pelican Bay website, the cost per night was $165 USD. When we arrived at the hotel, the staff had upgraded us to a suite at no additional charge. The room was huge and very tastefully decorated. The staff was always very friendly. Our room overlooked one of the 3 pools and had a balcony with seating for three. I had been to Nassau quite a few times, and I must say it was not as enjoyable as Grand Bahama Island. The Sheraton Our Lucaya is right across the street from the Pelican Bay, and for $5 per person you can get a wrist band from the front desk that will allow you to use the facilities at the Sheraton. They have 3 or 4 pools, one with a very nice waterslide for the kids.
We stayed on the island for 1 week during April 2004, and we had a blast. There was nightly entertainment offered at Count Basie Square, for kids and adults alike. The only negative comment that I can make about our trip, was the exorbitant prices for food. We spent $75 easily on every meal excluding breakfast, which was offered complimentary at the hotel each morning. The food selection was also very poor, I got so tired of eating conch fritters.
Overall I would definitely recommend going to Grand Bahama Island. It is a great destination for families. They have all sorts of activities that will keep you busy day and night.( snorkeling,diving,fishing,swimming,golf, casino, shopping, boating, and of course just lounging on the beach.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Grand Bahama Island's most hospitable hotel, the Pelican Bay is a joyful mix of colorful Bahamian architecture and the finest guest service in the Caribbean. Unique waterside rooms and waterside state rooms enfold you in comfort, while offering special guest touches. Renowned standards of hospitality and attention to guest happiness assure you of a memorable stay in the Bahamas.Part of the Pelican Bay experience is located within steps of your room. In addition to our waterfront Sabor Restaurant and Bar, more than 30 restaurants, bars, shops, live entertainment, the Dolphin Experience, scuba diving, snorkeling, and deep-sea fishing trips are a short stroll away.Immediately across the street are two miles of white sand beach, a full service spa, four "Grand Slam" surface tennis courts and a casino. All this is the happy Pelican Bay experience, one you will remember with fondness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Pelican Bay at Lucaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Hotel Freeport
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Freeport
- Pelican Bay Lucaya
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island