My boyfriend and I went here for a friend's wedding. To be honest, the website doesn't give it justice.
-The waterside suites are phenomenal - the difference between these accommodations and the regular rooms is massive.
-The buildings are actually quite nice - I loved the bright Caribbean colors and architecture. Much, much nicer than the pricier hotel across the street.
-Unexso (www.unexso.com) - a must. Located on the hotel premises, it's pricey but worth it. If you want to swim with dolphins ($169-$199), be sure to be explicit when booking, since one of the tours is only a viewing. Also, plan to book at least a week in advance!
-Not on the beach. Though it is located on the canal, you need to take a ferry to the nearest beach. This isn't actually so bad, though.
-Service. While it's not terrible, it's not as amazing as they advertise on the website.
-Tourist trap location. The resort itself isn't plagued by glaring tourist eyesores, but the Lucayan Marketplace, which is next door (and the closest shopping/eating establishment) is teeming with yuck. The buildings are pretty, but imagine hair braiding, dozens of trinket shops with shot glasses and trashy postcards, American bars and bad-to-mediocre restaurants. I don't even want to imagine this place during Spring Break.
For the price, Pelican Bay is great. In addition to Unexso, I recommend venturing out of the immediate area and exploring the island, including the Lucayan National Park.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Grand Bahama Island's most hospitable hotel, the Pelican Bay is a joyful mix of colorful Bahamian architecture and the finest guest service in the Caribbean. Unique waterside rooms and waterside state rooms enfold you in comfort, while offering special guest touches. Renowned standards of hospitality and attention to guest happiness assure you of a memorable stay in the Bahamas.Part of the Pelican Bay experience is located within steps of your room. In addition to our waterfront Sabor Restaurant and Bar, more than 30 restaurants, bars, shops, live entertainment, the Dolphin Experience, scuba diving, snorkeling, and deep-sea fishing trips are a short stroll away.Immediately across the street are two miles of white sand beach, a full service spa, four "Grand Slam" surface tennis courts and a casino. All this is the happy Pelican Bay experience, one you will remember with fondness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pelican Bay at Lucaya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Hotel Freeport
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Freeport
- Pelican Bay Lucaya
- Pelican Bay At Lucaya Bahamas/Freeport, Grand Bahama Island