“Fabulous” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Cardiff. South Wales
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

Arrived at Freeport Grand Bahama on 20th October 2007 from London UK. Had never been there before so did not know what to expect. My sister had lived there 30 years ago so she was eager to see it all again. Picked up at the airport by taxi who took us straight to Pelican Bay Hotel. Checked in with no problem staff were very friendly. Great room with waterway view.
Breakfast at this hotel is good cleanliness is first class. Swimming pools are fabulous SABOR restaurant was very good but a little expensive. Food was good though. Port Lucaya is
perfect. Taino Beach superb but the Taino Beach Restaurant
was not a good experience. Food was disgusting and quite expensive. Don't eat the steak there as it is as tough as old boots. The Bahamian people are wonderful. The Rum Runner Bar was great. Good atmosphere. Food good also. The beaches are superb it was just like on the holiday brochures. White sand
and aqua sea. Loved it and hope to go back again next year but will take my husband next time.

Congratulations Pelican Bay and Port Lucaya for giving us a wonderful holiday. The first one in over 30 years.

Stayed October 2007
7 Thank funbunny1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Oakland, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

I'm shocked to see so many good reviews about this hotel. We checked in Saturday morning and the frontdesk person wasn't so friendly. She seemed to be bothered by us.

We went to our room on the first floor facing the pool and we thought it was okay until we lied on the bed. Perhaps we are use to harder beds so we asked them to exchange the room.

We got room #206 and it was decent 2 double beds but the bed was still soft but we delt with it. We discovered the rude awakening of the air conditioning in this room. We told the frontdesk clerk but I felt the service was a bit lacking so they didn't do anything. We decided to keep it off while we were asleep since we were leaving on Monday.

We hung out at the pool and the patio chair cushions were so soft we felt the hard metal pressing against our backs. We tried their pina colada at the Sabor, which we thought was not as great and it was $8.50 for a small cup was a bit pricey.

It was would be a good idea that water be supplied to the patrons at this hotel considering the heat at the Bahamas and also for the convenience.

I personally don't think I want to stay at this hotel again it wasn't worth the investment.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2007

Took advantage of a special on Expedia and flew down on Tuesday October 23. October is the BEST time to go-no one was there! Staff at Pelican made arrangements for us to be picked up by Adrian in his taxi. Adrian was on time, very pleasant, and showed us around before he dropped us off at the hotel. He made arrangements to pick us back up on Friday afternoon for our flight home.

The hotel was a great surprise. I know the reviews here were good, but I was not prepared for this after staying at Breezes in Nassau and being totally disgusted. Pelican Bay is not oceanfront, but is harborfront and the views are great. The grounds are immaculate, the people are extremely pleasant and helpful, and the rooms very clean and comfortable. There are three pools and the pools were the cleanest I have ever seen a hotel pool. The breakfast was great, and the front desk staff even had apples out for people to eat. We even got a free drink in the bar when we arrived.

Pelican Bay is a short walk to Port Lucaya Marketplace, with all its shops and places to eat. Rum Runners (hi to BJ) was our place-try the Miami Vices. They are wonderful.

On the down side, we rented scooters from Lucaya Watersports, and although they showed some wear before we went out on them, we put a few MINOR scratches on them and they wanted to charge us $180 for them! MAKE SURE you photograph and document the condition of them if you decide to rent. I am totally convinced that they take the money "for repairs" and never bother to make the repairs. On the other hand, the scooters were fun but given the traffic, I would never do them again.

All in all, Pelican Bay is a wonderful place to stay, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it. WE ARE GOING BACK!

• Liked — Staff, location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Ned to upgrade their bedding, put hooks on balconies to hang pool towels.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank ddsandy
sarahcougarmo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

We just got back from 3 wonderful nights at the Pelican Bay. The hotel was clean, well equipped and extremely well located. The hotel is steps from the Marketplace where there are tons of bars/restaurants and the Sabor restaurant/bar in the hotel is wonderful as well -- right on the harbor. The hotel facilities were very nice -- three wonderful pools, complementary internet, and an extremely satisfying complementary breakfast is included in the price. (Breakfasts included cereal, oatmeal, bagels, english muffins, fruit, meat, cheese, smoked salmon, and some sort of hot egg products which changed daily). The hotel is not right on the beach, but we didn't mind it at all -- there is the Westin beach just a 5 minute walk away and there is a free shuttle to the Taino Beach Resort where there is a great beach with lots of chairs/umbrellas. The resort also has an incredible pool with a great waterslide, several caves, a waterfall, hot tub and amazing swim up bar. The staff at the Pelican Bay was wonderful, always willing to help us out or recommend restaurants, check in on our day, etc. The hotel was safe and very clean with great AC. We spoke to several people at other resorts who warned us that their stuff had been stolen, but we never had ANY problems with this sort of thing at the Pelican Bay. The rooms (we were in the regular rooms, not the suites) have little kitchenette with a fridge/sink etc. The furniture was a little old in these rooms, but not unsightly. The balconies have wonderful teak furniture which are wonderful for sitting and reading on while looking out at the highway. You'll save a lot of money from the Sheraton/Westin and have an equally fabulous vacation. Go to the Pelican Bay! You won't be unhappy!

• Liked — Location and Ammenities and Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing was really that bad!!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
9 Thank sarahcougarmo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

When work took me to the breaking point, I was certain that the only sure cure was salt water and sea air. After a review of the feedback from Tripadvisor, I booked two nights at Pelican Bay.

The trip from Atlanta was uneventful. Actually, it was much better than that. Because I only took a carry-on bag, no long lines (at either end) for luggage. I was frankly stunned by the ease of travel. I got off the plane and walked out into the cool Bahamian breezes. Less than 4 minutes from the plane to the outdoors. I found a cab at curbside and within 15 minutes I was at Pelican Bay (20.00 cab ride).

Pelican Bay is not directly on the shore, rather it is inland by about 300 yards. It is a short walk to the beach but the property sits on a protected cove. Water out the door, just not the beach.

The grounds are immaculate and the grounds keeper must work 24 hours a day. The grounds, the hotel, the whole package was much better than I expected.

I booked a one-bedroom suite, a choice I heartily recommend. Much more than a hotel room, it is like being in a quiet den at home. All of the expected amenities were there including a very comfortable robe (ala the Mandarin hotels). Coffee, a full servibar, just flawless.

I really can't say enough about the Bahamians I encountered on Grand Bahama. They were, to a person, polite, available, eager to please, just plain pleasant. I have to contrast this with the Bahamians I found on New Providence (Nassau) who were, almost without exception, surly. This trip reminded me of the Bahamians I encountered 30 years ago on Nassau. In fact, a recent trip to Nassau had be discount further travel to the Bahamas, but after I read the glowing reviews of Lucaya, I thought they were worth another try. I was not disappointed.

Don't miss Billy Joes conch shack ([--]) or Simply Native on East Beach Drive. Billy Joe's is walking distance from Pelican Bay. Simply Native is an $8 cab ride. Billy Joe's has the freshest conch I could find. I watched the vendor pull the conch from the shell and prepare it in front of me. Simply Native is Bahamian food, plain, and not so simple.

Don't miss the free water taxi ride to Tahino Beach from the Pelican. This IS the beach where the re-charge happens. Worth the price of the trip.

Sadly, the weekend is over. The memory will last a lifetime. I will go back to the Bahamas the next time my restive spirit requires sea and salt air. Never back to Nassau. Perhaps Exuma, and definitely Lucaya.

• Liked — Friendly, peaceful place
  • Disliked — It isn't home
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
9 Thank Damian_ATL
Kidderminster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2007

I would like to share with you the wonderful experience that myself and my wife had at Pelican Bay. Upon arrival at 1pm our room was still not ready, which seemed strange as the hotel was pretty empty. We were asked to come back at 2 O’clock which we did, then had to wait a bit longer. Maybe for this reason, or because the hotel staff were feeling generous, our room was upgraded to a suite, which was really nice of them, and from that point on their hospitality could not be faulted. Ask for Karen who is extremely helpful and friendly, though as a rule we found that people are generally pretty friendly anyway in the Bahamas.

A few people below mention the air con, which is noisy when you turn the main system on, but there is actually no need for it because there is a central system which keeps the temperature at about 70f all day and night so we did not have to touch the air con ourselves.

When we checked in we were given a drinks voucher for cocktails, the breakfast selection was good, there were 3 pools (though one was closed for renovation), our room was big with a nice bay view, and we used the excellent free ferry across to Taino Beach, which is lovely and empty – look out for their huge triple burgers in the beach restaurant.

In terms of things to do, we swam with dolphins through UNEXSO which is right next to the hotel, wandered around the marketplace which is small but pretty, and lost money very quickly in the casino! We organised snorkelling at Paradise Cove through the hotel, but the overall experience was disappointing so I would advise shopping around for the same trip. The snorkelling itself was fine – I saw barracuda and stingrays – but they are just out to get your cash when you arrive. For 35 dollars you get the ride there and back, snorkelling gear and flippers, and lunch (a horrible burger, crisps and a drink – calling it basic would be an overstatement!). They wanted extra money for fruit juice in a can, for chips, to go out in a kayak for a few minutes, and even two dollars to lie on a sunbed! Plus, they were not at all friendly.

But back to the hotel…. It is clean and tidy, friendly and well located. I would fully recommend it, especially for the price we paid (couldn’t find anything cheaper than the hotel’s website). Lucaya is only small so I would recommend it for a great weekend break, and if I returned I wouldn’t stay anywhere else but Pelican Bay!

• Liked — Warm welcome and excellent service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank robinsrule
Harbour Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2007

This is my second time to Grand Bahama in twenty two years and this hotel was great. I booked on line with interval and what you see is what you get.
The suite was beautiful and for the price nothing compares. The staff was excellent and I am sure we will return for a longer period.
Ben & Melissa